• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Give me your best scoop

REDOC

Forum Supporter
Ok raining and mud hunting here in CA. but thinking summer./spring already. With that said need some advice on a scoop purchase. Ok yea sand/beach who don't know dat but I would like to multi it in the streams were it is might be a little rocky. Not going to lift bedrock here but I think you know what I mean. Any and all I'll take em. And Grandpa like his work outs digging plugs but won't that nice long handle with a stout foot push recovery bottom. I think you pros out there know what I'm looking fer. Thanks.

Pick one... I prefer these for wet and dry because the sand is easier to shake out. I prefer do a couple of shallow quick digs, it's lighter and easier on the back.
I bought these from a guy making them and selling on Los Angeles craigslist.
I also prefer the smaller diameter travel handles for the same reasons.
I prefer light and fast, plus a bit of customization.
HH

Attachments

• DSC_0040.jpg
    DSC_0040.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 558
  • DSC_0039.jpg
    DSC_0039.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 515
  • DSC_0038.jpg
    DSC_0038.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 548
  • DSC_0036.jpg
    DSC_0036.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 542
I bought these from a guy making them and selling on Los Angeles craigslist....

Do you care to link us ? (if it's allowed here). I believe this is the same maker of the ones shown in my video. Well .... just the end/scoop part anyhow. Naturally I modified the rod part :cool:

The only thing I would add is: I modified his duck-bill portion of the scoop, to have a bunch of half-dime sized holes drilled in it. So as to lighten it up ! And that's no easy feat , to drill holes in stainless steel on an concave-bent surface shape. Doh ! :p I think that if you contact him ahead of time, that, for a price, he will do custom mod's. Eg.: drill extra holes, use different gauge rods or metal, etc.....

One thing I have learned is to buy the best scoops out there that meet this groups opinion and you can't go wrong. You will buy a few scoops so understand that right from the start.

GLHH

Sent from my Armor_3 using Tapatalk

I'll try and find him to get a link. Not sure if he is still building them. I agree with having some holes in the duck bill.

HH

I'll try and find him to get a link. Not sure if he is still building them. I agree with having some holes in the duck bill.

HH
I posted this awile back. Borderline engineering in Burbank.

I like my Stavros evroexcavator. Many of Stavros' designs have been copied all over, including those from extremescoops. I don't know if the copies are any better than the originals.

It's hard to find a tool that's good in all places... the best tool to use is one that matches the soil or sand where you're hunting.
And you'll never save money buying or using a cheap tool! Nothing is more aggravating than trying to enjoy a day hunting and having a digging tool break!

I metal detect(all soil types), hunt gold, dig ginseng and hunt gemstones in the mountains. Even a quality digging tool may fail you, and believe me.. I've had many break! I've broke more wooden handles than most people!

I maybe a little different than most(shut-up, Craig:laughing:), but it got to the point I made all my digging tools. I know everyone is not industrial metal fabricators.. but this will show how serious the digging game can get. All my digging tools are made strong, durable, and light weight.. with cost and fabrication time secondary. All my digging tools are titanium.

Sand scoops, two sizes..
patty1a.jpg

Hand digger.. good for general metal detecting in soil and digging ginseng, etc.
IMG_6196.JPG

Hand pick.. good for hard/rocky soil..
tool7.jpg

Shovel/rake/walking stick..
tool16.jpg

tool15.jpg

Machete..
knife7.jpg

I have other tools I've made that apply to gold and gem prospecting...
Yeah.. I'm a little crazy.. but I ain't stupid.. well, maybe a little?

Best at ya!
Wayne

Is that hand pic for sale? How big is it ?

Is that hand pic for sale? How big is it ?

Hi Pal...

I built the hand pick about 20 years ago.. It is made from 6-4, Grade 5 titanium that's 3/16 thick and it's about 16" long with the blade 2" wide. The curved pieces under the blade was made twice, they were formed using a 200 ton press brake. Grade 5 doesn't like to be bent and one broke while I was trying to get the curve. I only sharpen both ends of the blade one time when it was first made and it's dug a lot of rock.
I'm retired now and don't have access to a press that will bend 3/16" grade 5...
it's like an old friend and I couldn't sell it, we've been a lot of miles in the mountains!

I get wild in the mountains.. some times..

bc52.jpg

Hi Pal...

I built the hand pick about 20 years ago.. It is made from 6-4, Grade 5 titanium that's 3/16 thick and it's about 16" long with the blade 2" wide. The curved pieces under the blade was made twice, they were formed using a 200 ton press brake. Grade 5 doesn't like to be bent and one broke while I was trying to get the curve. I only sharpen both ends of the blade one time when it was first made and it's dug a lot of rock.
I'm retired now and don't have access to a press that will bend 3/16" grade 5...
it's like an old friend and I couldn't sell it, we've been a lot of miles in the mountains!

bc52.jpg

You look really cranky in that picture 9 :lol: Really cool looking digging tools... maybe you can make me a few sets of mower blades for my ZTR mower :lol:

"Cranky"!?

No.. just had to run a guy off my digging spot! I guess if I couldn't pick or cut him, I'd just have to shoot him.. had my pistol on my side too! :lol:

OH.. blades would cost you more than your lawn mower!

It's hard to find a tool that's good in all places... the best tool to use is one that matches the soil or sand where you're hunting.
And you'll never save money buying or using a cheap tool! Nothing is more aggravating than trying to enjoy a day hunting and having a digging tool break!

I metal detect(all soil types), hunt gold, dig ginseng and hunt gemstones in the mountains. Even a quality digging tool may fail you, and believe me.. I've had many break! I've broke more wooden handles than most people!

I maybe a little different than most(shut-up, Craig:laughing:), but it got to the point I made all my digging tools. I know everyone is not industrial metal fabricators.. but this will show how serious the digging game can get. All my digging tools are made strong, durable, and light weight.. with cost and fabrication time secondary. All my digging tools are titanium.

Sand scoops, two sizes..
patty1a.jpg

Hand digger.. good for general metal detecting in soil and digging ginseng, etc.
IMG_6196.JPG

tool7.jpg

tool16.jpg

tool15.jpg

Machete..
knife7.jpg

Best at ya!
Wayne
My main beach scoop is a Stavr but I also have a Stealth as a backup. Number 9, beautiful work Sir! :wow:

Hi Pal...

bc52.jpg

If I saw you up in those woods I’d find another place to hunt.lol

Now THIS is cool stuff! :cool: Good work 9!

R5

All my digging tools are titanium.

Sand scoops, two sizes..
patty1a.jpg

IMG_6196.JPG

tool7.jpg

tool16.jpg

tool15.jpg

Machete..
knife7.jpg

Best at ya!
Wayne

Back
Top Bottom