You gotta love those older Home Depot guys.

maxxkatt

Forum Supporter
This is for married guys here and those thinking of getting married. I have two major obstacles to the time I can get out and metal detect. Weather and my wife’s list of “honey do” projects in the yard. She loves yard work. Or to be more precise she loves seeing me doing yard work.

I love trees and we are blessed with a tree filled yard. Love the trees in the summer and fall, until the point that they start dropping their leaves. I always used the electric leaf blower and about 100 yards of various patched up extension cords hooked together. Sparks from one of the patches actually started a small leaf fire one day.

A few weeks ago, my neighbor was blowing his leaves. Hmm, not big deal, but wait he did not have the dreaded extension cords you had to get out, untangle and then put back up when finished.

I went over to Bob and ask if I could see his new toy. It was a Leaf Blow 1000 which produced 1,000 CFM air flow and held a charge for 3 hours costing $299 . Wow, I made a note of that and took off for Home Depot.
I arrived at HD and headed for the leaf blower section. There was an older gentleman who ask if he could help me? I informed him I wished to purchase the Leaf Blow 1000 model.

He hesitated and then looked down at my left hand and said, “I see you are married, is that correct?”, “Yes” I replied. He said, “Well then you want the Leaf Blow 350.” I looked at the box and it said 350 CFM air flow and held a charge for 60 minutes, not 3 hours.
I agued back with perfect logic, “I want the one that will hold the charge for 3 hours”.

“Let me explain” he said. “with the model 350 you really only get about 30 minutes of use and then you have to charge it for about 2 hours sometimes 3 hours.”

I said, “Well that sound like a bad deal.”

He said “Ok, think about this, you are blowing leaves for 30 minutes and the leaf blower stops and you have to charge it for 2 hours.” What this means you now have two hours to do something you want to do while your Leaf Blow 350 is charging.” “Sold I” said as I put the model 300 in my cart.

Now I have more than a few 2 hour breaks where I tell my wife, “Honey the leaf blower is charging, I going to the park while it charges.” as I Head out the door with my metal detector and go kit.

I've solved the leaf blowing AND wife problem. I divorced my wife 19 years ago so there's never a "honey-do" list and I never bother raking or blowing leaves even though I get plenty of them because my house is on the edge of the woods. :fall-leaves: Problem solved on both counts :lol:

This is for married guys here and those thinking of getting married. I have two major obstacles to the time I can get out and metal detect. Weather and my wife’s list of “honey do” projects in the yard. She loves yard work. Or to be more precise she loves seeing me doing yard work.

I love trees and we are blessed with a tree filled yard. Love the trees in the summer and fall, until the point that they start dropping their leaves. I always used the electric leaf blower and about 100 yards of various patched up extension cords hooked together. Sparks from one of the patches actually started a small leaf fire one day.

A few weeks ago, my neighbor was blowing his leaves. Hmm, not big deal, but wait he did not have the dreaded extension cords you had to get out, untangle and then put back up when finished.

I went over to Bob and ask if I could see his new toy. It was a Leaf Blow 1000 which produced 1,000 CFM air flow and held a charge for 3 hours costing $299 . Wow, I made a note of that and took off for Home Depot.
I arrived at HD and headed for the leaf blower section. There was an older gentleman who ask if he could help me? I informed him I wished to purchase the Leaf Blow 1000 model.

He hesitated and then looked down at my left hand and said, “I see you are married, is that correct?”, “Yes” I replied. He said, “Well then you want the Leaf Blow 350.” I looked at the box and it said 350 CFM air flow and held a charge for 60 minutes, not 3 hours.
I agued back with perfect logic, “I want the one that will hold the charge for 3 hours”.

“Let me explain” he said. “with the model 350 you really only get about 30 minutes of use and then you have to charge it for about 2 hours sometimes 3 hours.”

I said, “Well that sound like a bad deal.”

He said “Ok, think about this, you are blowing leaves for 30 minutes and the leaf blower stops and you have to charge it for 2 hours.” What this means you now have two hours to do something you want to do while your Leaf Blow 350 is charging.” “Sold I” said as I put the model 300 in my cart.

Now I have more than a few 2 hour breaks where I tell my wife, “Honey the leaf blower is charging, I going to the park while it charges.” as I Head out the door with my metal detector and go kit.

…….now just hope your wife never reads your above post :laughing::laughing::laughing:

^^^^^^^
Me too and life is great now. Do what I want when I want, way more $$$ and all the possibilities.
As far as raking leaves I stopped wasting my time with that chore years ago by mowing them. Shoot the exhausted leaves toward the center of the yard and keep cutting them till they disappear. Same goes for weedeating just use roundup a couple times a year. If you enjoy lawn care great, I have better things to do!

I've solved the leaf blowing AND wife problem. I divorced my wife 19 years ago so there's never a "honey-do" list and I never bother raking or blowing leaves even though I get plenty of them because my house is on the edge of the woods. :fall-leaves: Problem solved on both counts :lol:

I also am next to a forest and we get our share of leaves, makes good mulch if you mow them :lol:

^^^^^^^
Me too and life is great now. Do what I want when I want, way more $$$ and all the possibilities.
As far as raking leaves I stopped wasting my time with that chore years ago by mowing them. Shoot the exhausted leaves toward the center of the yard and keep cutting them till they disappear. Same goes for weedeating just use roundup a couple times a year. If you enjoy lawn care great, I have better things to do!

Fortunately my wife does not pressure me about yard work, in fact she tells me to NOT overdo it trying to do much at one time.

I also use the "mow the leaves" method :lol:

I would rethink using Roundup though, seems it could be dangerous -

https://www.consumersafety.org/news/is-roundup-dangerous/

My wife would find more things for me to do while the battery is charging .:lol:
I don't mind raking leaves as it allows me to use different muscles than detecting does .:lol:
After fifty years of marriage we know each other like a book and have an established fairness policy . We cut each other a lot of slack and understand each others needs . Once in awhile we show teeth and growl but would never bite . I lucked out and got a good one .:yes:

Marriage is over-rated. And buy a zero-turn and mulch, so much easier.

Round-up? I used to, until I discovered 3-armed frogs around the yard. You can now file for compensation. Call Sam.

:laughing::laughing: imagine if there were no Wimmen on this Planet! 99% of these products would never exist in the first place!

Guys would just be needing maybe a shovel to dig themselves a hole, a tarp, some traps and guns and a cigarette lighter and booze..maybe a deck of cards if company comes calling? Think about it! If there were no Wimmen on this Planet at all! Just Us! How Wonderful it would be!

We would all be minding our own business living in our little holes in the ground, getting along good, never having to work...no kids of course..Just us here drinking..smoking..fishing..talking about stuff, throwing knives, running around buck!... farting and taking a piss...living in a little dirt hole like a prairie dog...Happy as can be! Wouldnt even need a Harmonica or toothpaste let alone a leafblower!!

Yeah sure, Guys dont need much...besides a knife and a lighter and a tarp, a roll of duct tape and a 5gallon plastic bucket would come in handy, but those would be considered luxuries..

Leafblower? Imagine the conversation...."Whatcha got there Jim?" "Well its a damned old leafblower I invented!" "WTH is that thing for?" "Well, it blows leaves out of the front of my burrow so it looks nice to my neighbors!"

:laughing:

Last edited by a moderator:
Roundup, like just about anything, is fine if used with common sense. Try to keep it off your skin, don't breathe it in and DON'T drink it. I've seen a buddies wife spraying roundup on weeds in their driveway and their kid was getting overspray blown on her. Wife didn't care..
So many people now a days lack common sense and lawyers are using their stupidity to sue companies. Look at the gasoline can company that was sued so many times it went out of business. Idiots were pouring gas out of the cans on fires and getting burned etc. Now they only sell gas cans with idiot proof dispensing lids.
Cars now have seatbelts, airbags stability control and what not but eventually we'll have to wear helmets too even though you don't have to wear them on a motorcycle in some states.
How did we ever survive to this point??

Roundup, like just about anything, is fine if used with common sense. Try to keep it off your skin, don't breathe it in and DON'T drink it. I've seen a buddies wife spraying roundup on weeds in their driveway and their kid was getting overspray blown on her. Wife didn't care..
So many people now a days lack common sense and lawyers are using their stupidity to sue companies. Look at the gasoline can company that was sued so many times it went out of business. Idiots were pouring gas out of the cans on fires and getting burned etc. Now they only sell gas cans with idiot proof dispensing lids.
Cars now have seatbelts, airbags stability control and what not but eventually we'll have to wear helmets too even though you don't have to wear them on a motorcycle in some states.

I truely understand what you are saying that some people just don't use common sense, but I simply prefer trying not to use any harsh potentially dangerous chemicals if I really don't have to, I was amazed at how many things you can use vinegar for in place of some chemical products and that is just one example of natural safe substitutes for harsh chemicals.

For those who have pets I would be leery of using Roundup as they could get it on their paws and lick their paws.

I rest my case! If there were no Wimmen on this Planet, you think a guy would give a tinkers cuss about killing weeds or have any need for Lawyers at all?! Or even need to drill for gas? Who needs a car? We would have it made!

All territorial disputes would be settled with the stronger hand prevailing to the merriment of us all!.."What the hell is going on over here? Whats all the ruckus?" "Well, this guy here in the burrow next to me is taking a big morning dump right smack in my blueberry patch!" "Well, kick his ass or kill him!..dont make a big deal out of it!" :laughing:

I truely understand what you are saying that some people just don't use common sense, but I simply prefer trying not to use any harsh potentially dangerous chemicals if I really don't have to, I was amazed at how many things you can use vinegar for in place of some chemical products and that is just one example of natural safe substitutes for harsh chemicals.

For those who have pets I would be leery of using Roundup as they could get it on their paws and lick their paws.
Same here, stopped using, bad enough it’s in my food...it’s used as a desiccant to accelerate the drying of wheat crops...causing leaky gut. I gave up wheat and oats years ago, it’s not for me.

Same here, stopped using, bad enough it’s in my food...it’s used as a desiccant to accelerate the drying of wheat crops...causing leaky gut. I gave up wheat and oats years ago, it’s not for me.

Yep...Roundup is some serious bad stuff! 1975 is about when Roundup hit the market....Well, before that a kid could go out and and fill a bucket full of Leopard frogs before noon on any given day of the week..They were all over the place, toads too, and salamanders under every log, bees on every clover so thick you would step on them barefoot a dozen times a summer accidentally and get stung on the bottom of the foot...Remember?...Then here comes Roundup!

It wiped out every living amphibian thing! Urban and Rural! I submit a challenge...There is no way a guy can find a bucket full of leopard frogs let alone a dozen..same with toads...same with salamanders...same with bees..Its very bad stuff and we seen its killing power in a few decades...I used to eat oatmeal..not any more though, like you said, the farmers use it as a dessicant to get more yield at a certain time by killing the entire field...:?:

Great stuff mud !

:laughing::laughing: imagine if there were no Wimmen on this Planet! 99% of these products would never exist in the first place!

Guys would just be needing maybe a shovel to dig themselves a hole, a tarp, some traps and guns and a cigarette lighter and booze..maybe a deck of cards if company comes calling? Think about it! If there were no Wimmen on this Planet at all! Just Us! How Wonderful it would be!

We would all be minding our own business living in our little holes in the ground, getting along good, never having to work...no kids of course..Just us here drinking..smoking..fishing..talking about stuff, throwing knives, running around buck!... farting and taking a piss...living in a little dirt hole like a prairie dog...Happy as can be! Wouldnt even need a Harmonica or toothpaste let alone a leafblower!!

:laughing::laughing::laughing:

This reminds me of a story I heard a few years back ………….:yes:

Seems like a ship hit a reef and sunk . All aboard perished except for a 9yr. old boy who managed to swim to a nearby island .He spent many lonely years there surviving as best he could .
One day he saw a ship off in the sunset. He quickly built a huge bonfire in an attempt to get its attention .It worked ! The ship turned and was heading his way .

As luck would have it the ship hit the same reef and quickly sank .

He was heartbroken .He just sat there staring at the sea .

A while later he noticed something swimming toward the island . A few minutes later a beautiful bikini clad woman steps onto the shore .

They start talking and she explains she was a model and was doing a photo shoot when the ship it the reef .
They talked and talked and became good friends .

A few days later she said to him " I desperately need to make love , can we" ?

The young man explained he had never made love and did not know what to do .
The beautiful woman said " don't worry Honey , I'll show you how " .

After they were finished the woman said " did you enjoy that honey" ?

Oh yes , I certainly did but look what it did to my Clam digger I think it's ruined !

Yeah sure, Guys dont need much...besides a knife and a lighter and a tarp, a roll of duct tape and a 5gallon plastic bucket would come in handy, but those would be considered luxuries..

Leafblower? Imagine the conversation...."Whatcha got there Jim?" "Well its a damned old leafblower I invented!" "WTH is that thing for?" "Well, it blows leaves out of the front of my burrow so it looks nice to my neighbors!"

:laughing:

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep...Roundup is some serious bad stuff! 1975 is about when Roundup hit the market....Well, before that a kid could go out and and fill a bucket full of Leopard frogs before noon on any given day of the week..They were all over the place, toads too, and salamanders under every log, bees on every clover so thick you would step on them barefoot a dozen times a summer accidentally and get stung on the bottom of the foot...Remember?...Then here comes Roundup!

It wiped out every living amphibian thing! Urban and Rural! I submit a challenge...There is no way a guy can find a bucket full of leopard frogs let alone a dozen..same with toads...same with salamanders...same with bees..Its very bad stuff and we seen its killing power in a few decades...I used to eat oatmeal..not any more though, like you said, the farmers use it as a dessicant to get more yield at a certain time by killing the entire field...:?:

I suspect you are right mud. I remember about 30 years ago visiting a family farm in East Georgia and my son an I were walking around when we saw a pile of empty pesticide or herbicide sacks and read the warning along with the skull and cross bones symbol - the warning essentially said that this was highly poisonous to humans and wildlife.

I think the same bad stuff was in agent orange used to defoliate the jungles in Vietnam.

The Chattahoochee river runs thru Atlanta. In north Atlanta there are millions of homes and a majority use lawn services. They put down broadleaf killer and other chemicals to prevent weed seeds from growing and all kinds of fertilizer.

Results, the river south of Atlanta is polluted and the large lake it feeds into you are warned to never eat any fish caught from that lake.

Rachel Carson was right, be we have seemed to forget her warnings.

If we didn't have and use chemicals then we wouldn't have enough food to feed everyone.
I suppose there are other options for trimming though.
1. Gas power weed eater but then there's the exhaust and oil drilling..
2. 120v weed eater but then they have to make the electricity: coal- air pollution, nuclear-radioactive waste, hydro- kills certain species, wind- kills birds..
3. Rechargeable weed eater- China (do they pollute?) used lithium.
4. Goat's, sheep etc- not in my neighbourhood..
5. Yea old weed whip. Been there, done that.

As far as not eating food that could have chemicals used? Good luck. The organic labels are misleading and some growers lie. I remember years ago "60 minutes"? had a show about fake orange juice that was mostly chemicals and water and some juice that was being sold as 100% oj to bottlers and nobody could taste the difference.
You could grow your own veggies, start raising livestock and weed whip your yard too.
Humm, kind of sounds like the Amish.
Of course worrying about all this can cause stress and we know that's not good for our health either.
There isn't any easy answer but before Nov 4 we will hear a bunch of b.s. ones.

I believe I'll keep spraying a half gallon of roundup twice a year and swing my detector in my free time.

You don’t have to live like the Amish to grow your own food and supplement what you get from the store. For many folks, they are addicted to the taste of HFCS and the chemical content of processed food over organic, and lots don’t know or care for the difference.

For weed control I use propane/blow torch and a liquid solution of salt and vinegar.

No offense meant towards anyone. To each their own. I always find it curious how few people mean that when they condone others that they disagree with. My example/joke about the Amish I thought was spot on. No electricity, chemicals etc.
I don't own stock in Dow, Bayer or any other chemical company. Growing up we ate more wild game than domesticated. Our garden was around 35'x200'. We had peach and Apple trees, strawberry patch and foraged blackberries, elderberries etc.
My point is chemical used properly can be as safe as the alternatives. I have used concentrated nitrogen as a grass killer, it works the same roundup by making it grow so fast it dies. I also have used salt as a long term grass control but salt and metal is not a good idea. It's not good for trees either. HH and happy Thanksgiving everyone.

I use round up, weedeater and propane torch. Round up in the gravel drive way, weedeater around the house and propane torch in the garden. Each is a tool and should be used as directed. All three can cause problems if not safe.

Back
Top Bottom