Lesche mini Sampson rust

L0S3R

Elite Member
So my mini Sampson was actually dropped in the woods, took me awhile to find it. The blade has started to rust. Any good ideas on cleaning it? Restoring/repainting? I’m not sending it off for a powder coat lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go dig lotsa holes. Should wear the rust right off!

I got 80% of it off, it’s the steel rod that connects the blade and bends for the handle I’m worried about. And our ground is freezing, not getting out much lol

The rust is from leaves that got caked on, it’s an external rust not deep

fa7bae2b09c72a07a91c7afaa90431cb.jpg

This is my situation

PB Blaster spay it on all of the rusty spots and leave it on. it will take care of the rust. i wash down mine and spay it on mine and it is good shape any time i use it.

PB Blaster spay it on all of the rusty spots and leave it on. it will take care of the rust. i wash down mine and spay it on mine and it is good shape any time i use it.

Ok I’ll have to pick some up and give that a try, thanks!

The first thing I did when I got mine was to weld(if you dont have a welder or know how to weld, a welding shop will do this for 15-20$) a diagonal gusset from the center rear top of the blade to the shaft about 2.5” up. Just by looking at it you can tell where this needs to be to keep your shovel from bending in half from trying to pry one of those frozen plugs out. You know which ones I mean...the “shovel killers”. They should ALL come with this gusset, but they don’t. Having that bracing in place makes it just about invincible.

So my mini Sampson was actually dropped in the woods, took me awhile to find it. The blade has started to rust. Any good ideas on cleaning it? Restoring/repainting? I’m not sending it off for a powder coat lol

Soak in or Use Coca Cola, with brass bristle brush for small hard to reach areas. WD40 after you brush the rust and crud away to protect from future rusting.

Google "Coca Cola for rust removal"

Get a cheap set of wire brushes from Home Depot. Like $3.00 for four, couple stainless and a couple brass in there. Then walk over to spray paint section. Grab a can of gray, gloss, exterior paint. Like Krylon. Wire brush off the rust, be sure to get in the crack where the handle is welded to the blade, wipe with a dry cloth and blow out the debris. Shake up the can, take off the top, aim the nozzle at the shovel, press button. Move the shovel and get the paint where you want it. It's not rocket science.

Start digging with it and it’ll wear away probably.

I read an article about taking care of garden tools once. I’m fairly certain I read to have a bucket of sand with used motor oil mixed in. (Doesn’t sound like advice from a gardening mag, does it?) Basically, you stab your shovel, hoe, whatever in there, and it gives it a nice coat of rust.

Lots of videos and articles on this I see. The first one I read said "sand and vegetable oil" but you get the point: oil.

I just don't have room for yet another bucket on the shed floor.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom