Should I keep my CTX 17" coil?

choppadude

Forum Supporter
Not really sure if I will be using this huge 17" coil as I mainly coinshoot and do not do a lot of fields. I also own an E Trac with the NEL coil if I ever decide to do fields.
How many guys out there can say they use this big coil regularly?
I am just thinking that if I can sell this new 17" it would help offset the price of the detector. I see they sell new for $399 so I am thinking I can get $275 - $300 for a quick sale or maybe trade for the 6" coil that I believe I would use occasionally.

Personally I have owned 2 of them. I used one and was great, this year never really went back to it and sold it. Its a great coil, hands down but real location specific. Beachs great, clean parks great, other than that the weight and size are just not for me...untill I buy another one..lol. I LOVE the six inch but it fits my style. I can easily hit 10 inch dimes with my stock so I decided to sell. I can tell you that you can get about 250.00 max for it. I find them always for 250 and was tough selling my practically new one for 225.00.
Good luck
AFM

It all depends on where you hunt. I get an extra 2 inches or so in my soil. It still separates extremely well for a big coil.

If you need the money, then sell it. However, if you don't need the money, I think there will be times you will wish you had it.

G2M

Not really sure if I will be using this huge 17" coil as I mainly coinshoot and do not do a lot of fields. I also own an E Trac with the NEL coil if I ever decide to do fields.
How many guys out there can say they use this big coil regularly?
I am just thinking that if I can sell this new 17" it would help offset the price of the detector. I see they sell new for $399 so I am thinking I can get $275 - $300 for a quick sale or maybe trade for the 6" coil that I believe I would use occasionally.

I used that thing for one field hunt. By the end of a 7 hour hunt I was damn near dragging the coil behind me as I walked and I'm fairly certain I didn't find much more that day than I would have with the lighter stock coil. Makes the CTX way too front heavy. I got the 5x10 Coiltec and it was ok but I ended up selling that too and got the little 6" smart coil and I'm loving that one. I keep that one on probably 70% of the time now. Super fast recovery speed, can get right on top of fence lines, and it's still pretty deep for such a little coil.

I use mine quite a bit. But like AFmike said it is very site specific for me. I like it in those really big parks to cover a lot of area. And it really hits the deep ones. Not very accurate with the depth readings though(unless past 6" then fairly accurate) I also like it in areas that may have some fill and you need to get past that layer. It's a great coil and separates really well.

My vote is keep the 17" coil. I think it's a sleeper coil that gets a bad rap because of its size. It's still good at separating and can go DEEP.

It is a very much so sleeper coil. Just need to find spots to use it, thats about it. Clean parks are hard to come by but overall its a great coil.

I can only add my opinion based from my experience. The 17 in coil has added a lot of Silver to my collection this year. I put the coil on in August and have used on every hunt except a door knock day with "Matmit". Every location I hunted was hunted by me previously using a E-trac, AT Pro or this machine the CTX with the standard coil. All the locations were Parks or Schools with large open areas such as old football fields, baseball fields or such. I consistently dug a lot of coins at 10 inches or more. Now I also hunted with the standard coil for the first two thirds of the year and did love the results from using that coil. It really comes down to if you going to use it or not. For me I have plans to hunt a few more large areas of some big old parks so for me I'm going to keep it and use it. If your going to door knock or hunt curb strips then sell it. For me its a change of coils and another tool to better fit any situation. Jack

Well I have decided to keep the 17" coil. Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it LOL!

I use mine at the beach. Inland I didn't like it as much as the stock 11". I don't ever use it inland anymore. We got too much aluminum from the grass being mowed all year long. If you ever want to try the 6" maybe we can trade something? I can let you borrow it if you don't know if the 6" will work for you. But it looks like a hockey puck and not much bigger. Too small for any beach I hunt except for fishing sinkers.

Coin Whisperer swears by his and has found a ton of goodies to back it up. I bought one a couple of years ago and used it once while scouting a large wide open field. Swung it a couple of hours and my arm was numb. If you are young enough, you could probably get a benefit out of it... but it's not a coil for us older guys. I use my stock coin except when I am heavy trash and then I switch to the 6 inch for better separation. Just my 2 cents worth. Hope it helps.

Choppadude

Keep the 17, and just buy the 6 inch, Parkhunter sold his 6 inch, the 11 was to much for the sidewalk strips, he just purchased the 6 inch again, a few weeks ago, you have the :money: bro., :yes::D PS You bought the CTX3030 so now your ALL IN howboutit:lol:

My view on the coils:
The 6" coil is a good sidewalk or general tear out coil but I think 6" is about the max for depth or at least that's my experience. I used it in a iron filled rock bottom river and it seamed to make the iron "bloom" and false more. It can get close to metal objects (fences etc.) which is nice. It also hits hard on small objects and I haven't tested it but I bet it would hit mid tones (gold,lead) better but is still limited on depth.

The 17" coil is a good coil for deep coins and coins on edge. It seems to take the weak on edge coins and deep coins that would be weak hits on the stock coil and make them sing. It can be used in moderate trash but you need to slow way down and take your time and pick stuff apart. If in moderate trash at times you won't be able to pinpoint well but again take the time and "x" the target. It is great for covering ground (fields, etc) and you can just rest it on the grass while swinging to help with the weight.

The 11" well no need for elaboration. A must have great all around coil.

All have their place in the Your Arsenal. 11" is the must have, 17" is #2, and the 6" is #3 for me and my style hunting. I hunt for old stuff in parks, woods, tear outs, and rivers. The Chicago parks have been used since the mid 1800's and are full of nails and trash. If I could only pick one coil to use for the day in Chicago parks and I had to pick between the 17" and the 6" hands down the 17" is what I would use. Each person has their opinion this is just mine. GL&HH

Back
Top Bottom