EQUINOX silver and Gold

Robm1093

How do you think the EQUINOX will do on deep silver and gold rings at the salt beech?

You asked about the beach? Not as good on silver, but you are after gold.

I plan on buying one and hitting several beaches in the area. Also plan on getting out to a local area hundreds of boats anchor up at all summer and detecting in that 2-3ft deep water. I'm no expert but will most definitely report what I find.

Minelab just posted this little tidbit on their Facebook page.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    72.6 KB · Views: 415
smells fishy! I'm not hating either I'm gonna buy one... I remember some one posting a post about a new detector release saying it found flour gold.....I want call any names but they know who they are ///

smells fishy! I'm not hating either I'm gonna buy one... I remember some one posting a post about a new detector release saying it found flour gold.....I want call any names but they know who they are ///

That's a bit misleading as the detector did not find the flour gold nor did his post suggest that, but his video attached to the post did. What the detector did indicate, in the way it was used, was where heavy elements had collected suggesting there could be flour gold that collected there also.

IMO, the video title was very misleading...but not the posts or if you watched the rest of the video as he explained how by severely misbalancing the detector. I thought it was actually pretty informative and very creative, and it worked assuming you believe the "proof" that was posted.

As for the EQ finding 1, 5, 20 or 4,000 more rings....well, grain of salt.

That's a bit misleading as the detector did not find the flour gold nor did his post suggest that, but his video attached to the post did. What the detector did indicate, in the way it was used, was where heavy elements had collected suggesting there could be flour gold that collected there also.

IMO, the video title was very misleading...but not the posts or if you watched the rest of the video as he explained how by severely misbalancing the detector. I thought it was actually pretty informative and very creative, and it worked assuming you believe the "proof" that was posted.

As for the EQ finding 1, 5, 20 or 4,000 more rings....well, grain of salt.
I cant find the video?

Minelab just posted this little tidbit on their Facebook page.

Got to watch out for those iron Bobby pins. When it finally gets released I will wait for actual reviews.
Btw Perhaps they will reveal more information a few days before a competitor releases a new machine

5-40kHz is a pretty wide band. I think the Etrac goes down to 1.5kHz which from what I understand is what helps it hit that deep silver.

Just for consideration ,.....the Etrac is known for being good on deep silver , but just because it goes down to 1.5KHz does not necessarily mean it is the sole reason for that reputation.....and that also does not necessarily mean the EQ will not do as good or close starting at 5 KHz. That might be similar to a scenario where a detector was credited with finding more gold rings just because it ran at 40KHz.....you see , an operating frequency " that " high isn't necessarily needed to be good at finding rings , even though it would sure enough be sensitive to them.

I think some may be surprised when they see the difference between 1.5KHz and 5 KHz turns out to not make any noticeable difference in the long run.

Why would the Etrac go down to 1.5 if it wasn't needed ? ....because they can :lol: And the operating frequency is only part of the equation , coil quality and the rest of the software under the hood make up a large part of it as well. And some of the Etracs performance reputation could realistically be attributed to the fact that it don't like a fast swing speed , causing the experienced operator to slow down for better performance , and consequently noticing things that might have been missed otherwise.

Of course , time will tell......as well as the inevitable head to head comparisons. I'm not saying the low 1.5 KHz has no point at all , only that 5 is close enough that any slight difference might only be noticed in bench tests.

But I'm no expert , this is just my opinion.

But I'm no expert , this is just my opinion.

The 1.5kHz low frequency is not the sole reason, but it's definitely a factor that helps the Etrac and CTX over what is expected from Equinox performance. It's already been stated by Minelab that in certain conditions FBS will perform better than MultiIQ. No doubt the lower frequency is just one factor why. They also go up to 100kHz which is a much larger band spectum spread than the Equinox.

Lower frequencies are better for detecting high conductivity targets like silver.
Higher frequencies are better for detecting small and low conductivity targets like gold.

I'd think 1.5kHz to 5kHz would be quite a difference, more so when comparing to a single frequency detector like an AT Gold that operates at a set 18kHz (1.5kHz compared to 18kHz). But less of a difference in detectors that operate at 60kHz than another that runs 80kHz, even though the higher frequency gap from 60-80kHz is larger than the lower 1.5 to 5kHz.

I'm no expert either, but there is a science behind it. Theory vs reality are two different things though and newer/faster processing and firmware are making a huge difference now than in the past.

Last edited:
The 1.5kHz low frequency is not the sole reason, but it's definitely a factor that helps the Etrac and CTX over what is expected from Equinox performance. It's already been stated by Minelab that in certain conditions FBS will perform better than MultiIQ. No doubt the lower frequency is just one factor why. They also go up to 100kHz which is a much larger band spectum spread than the Equinox.

Lower frequencies are better for detecting high conductivity targets like silver.
Higher frequencies are better for detecting small and low conductivity targets like gold.

I'd think 1.5kHz to 5kHz would be quite a difference, more so when comparing to a single frequency detector like an AT Gold that operates at a set 18kHz (1.5kHz compared to 18kHz). But less of a difference in detectors that operate at 60kHz than another that runs 80kHz, even though the higher frequency gap from 60-80kHz is larger than the lower 1.5 to 5kHz.

I'm no expert either, but there is a science behind it. Theory vs reality are two different things though and newer/faster processing and firmware are making a huge difference now than in the past.

Yes , I know about the science behind it and how the higher frequencies are better for gold and lower for deep silver. I doubt there will be a " quantifiable " difference anywhere but on a bench test with EM reading equipment.....or atleast I would have to see it to believe it. I bet the etrac would be a silver killer even if it did only go down to 5Khz. There is a measurable difference between the EM wave frequencies but both so low on the spectrum I just don't see 3 1/2 points at that level being a game changer. Is it really quantifiable out in the field ?.....or just in the shop , with testing equipment ? And just how many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie pop ? :lol:

Just splitting theoretical hairs to pass the time

And just how many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie pop ? :lol:

Just splitting theoretical hairs to pass the time

It has become a waiting game. There have to be a bunch of testers out there that haven't been able to release info yet. Seems we're lucky if a new 2 minute video is released maybe every 2-3 weeks now. Whole lot of speculation and details on tech, but not much for real field results yet other than when introduced.

There is a white beech but no salt beech ? a gray beech, red beech, copper beech and sometimes the copper beech is known as the purple beech. Mud will be along to tell you that you can eat the leaves from a beech.It would have to be better than nothing or maybe even better than a found opened pop tart at the local park.:?:

Back
Top Bottom