Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   River Team 6 Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Metal Detecting > Research and Getting Permission

Old 02-03-2006, 08:08 AM

Default Metal Detecting CODE OF ETHICS

Do not Kill the hobby these are,
Good Rules to Follow When Detecting

- Never trespass. Always get permission to traverse private or restricted lands.
- Always respect private property and do no metal detecting without the owner's permission.
- Before searching public sites, always check laws, ordinances or regulations that may govern your hunt.
- Always leave gates as they are found whether open or closed.
- Never do anything that might contaminate wells, creeks or other water supplies.
- Never tamper with signs, maintenance facilities or equipment.
- Never damage or destroy property, buildings or what is left of ghost towns or deserted structures.
- Never spook, taunt, provoke or otherwise disturb wild or domestic animals.
- Never leave litter. Pack out any and all trash or debris you create or find.
- If necessary, clean up after a previous detectorist. Acting in spite of him or even just ignoring his trangressions will only hurt us all in the end.
- Always use the correct digging or probing equipment to make the least intrusion or marks.
- Never throw trash finds back in the hole.
- Leave as little sign of your passing as possible.
- Always fill in your holes, including plowed fields, sand pits, beaches and in water.
- Study, learn, appreciate and protect our heritage of natural resources, wildlife, and private property.
- Be thoughtful, considerate, courteous and respectful of others at all times.
- Protect the metal detecting hobby by being a good will ambassador at all times.
- Report the discovery of any items of possible significant historical value to a local historian or museum in accordance with the latest legislation of your area.
- Report any live ammunition or other potentially lethal or toxic objects you may find to authorities after carefully noting or marking the location.
- Report any criminal activities you see to proper authorities immediately. You are not a "snitch" or a "tattletale". You are a citizen with both rights, privileges AND duties. Respect them as they were hard-earned by many who came before you.

I did not make up these rules, just trying to save the hobby for newbie's to come.

ezdigger Stan

30 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-03-2006, 12:47 PM

Default Rules For Newbies and all diggers.

Thanks for posting Stan. Good rules that we all must follow because our hobby is under close and constant scrutiny. It only takes one bad MD'er to ruin it for the rest of us.

Old 02-03-2006, 12:53 PM

Default Thanks

As a newbie I appreciate the info.
David

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-04-2006, 10:08 AM
Elite Member

Default so true me bouy!

From the land of the Bluenose....would be nice if the newbies had a seasoned pro to go out with for a few times to learn the rope. After all we all have a vested interest in keeping areas open for hunting and swishing.

Swing low, swing slow and dig deep!

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-29-2006, 07:40 PM
Elite Member

Default Metal Detecting CODE OF ETHICS

I will always check federal, state, county, and local laws before searching. It is my responsibility to know the law.

I will respect private property, and will not enter private property without the owner's permission. Where possible, such permission will be in writing.

I will take care to refill any holes, and try to the best of my ability not to leave any damage.

I will remove and dispose of any and all trash and litter that I find.

I will appreciate and protect our inheritance of natural resources, wildlife, and private property.

I will, as an ambassador for the hobby, use thoughtfullness, , and courtesy at all times.

I will leave gates and entryways as found.

I will build fires in designated or safe places only.

I will report to the proper authorities, any individuals who enter, and/or remove artifacts from federal parks or state preserves.

I will give assistance to state or local authorities if called upon to do so, to the best of my ability.

I will use sound judgement and respect as to where and when I hunt.

Time in swing 2009: 0.0 hrs.
Significant finds '09: TBD

I WORK TOO MUCH & SLEEP TOO LITTLE !!!!

Old 03-29-2006, 09:57 PM

I'll raise my right hand.

Old 03-30-2006, 11:57 PM

Maybe go hunting with a lawyer....That really is not to bad its the changing times and protects us...also common sense as when people do anything so there is no problems...

Old 05-09-2006, 06:25 AM
Elite Member

............. and carry public liability insurance.

Old 05-12-2006, 11:11 AM

LOL@ Alan

Old 05-13-2006, 09:22 PM

so what do the fuz really think about our enjoyment

Old 05-15-2006, 07:47 AM

I also raise my right hand.

Then my left hand

Old 07-28-2006, 11:48 PM
Elite Member

Lately there have been posts my new MDer's stating that they didn't check for rules or ordinances, ignored permits, or were using mid-sized shovels in parks. Just knowing how to run the detector is not enough. We have been feeling the heat in our area. Rob

Old 07-29-2006, 06:26 PM
Elite Member

Default Re: Metal Detecting CODE OF ETHICS

We have people like that here in the UK too Rob.
It's a shame as it spoils the hobby for everyone.

Old 07-29-2006, 06:42 PM

Just today I was searching a local grassy park where there is nothing but clad and never deeper than 3inches. I came across something that looked like a fox hole, the sod had been thrown in first and about half the dirt kicked back in leaving a depression about 8inches across. I don't know if it was ignorance or incompetence, but it hurts everyone.

Old 07-29-2006, 09:30 PM
Elite Member

I travel in a motorhome especially in the winter. It used to be a polite group. Everyone respected the quiet hour, didn't walk through other peoples sites, you get the idea. It seems the same for MDing. More people are buying detectors but aren't learning the proper methods either. Rob

Old 09-20-2006, 08:49 AM

This is a post I made on Treasure Net a couple of years ago - it was somewhat hurriedly written as it seems something I experienced at the time influenced me to write it. Anyway it was taken as defensive by some and agreed upon by others. Anyway here it is.

Hello all! I am an avid detectorist who has been swingin' one for 32+ years now. I do not regularly visit this forum but do from time to time to see what is new and exciting. Lately I have been reading some posts and felt the need to re-post a message I put up a few years ago on this forum. As well as being a dedicated detectorist I am also a long time bowhunter. Early on (25+) years ago we bowhunters bought the best equipment we could afford from knowledgable dealers who had the experience to outfit us with the right equipment matched to our needs and abilities. These small, dedicated dealers properly set up, matched our arrows to the bows and provided ongoing service, help and training. We also spent much time practicing both on range and in the field and for the most part, became skillful archers. We spent much time afield during the off season studying the game and learning their habits with the hope of improving our success during hunting season. We considered ourselves purists, enjoyed long seasons and generally had the respect of the entire hunting community.

Then something began to happen. Some people saw this as an opportunity for a longer hunting season with a better Chance at scoring a deer or elk. Cheap equipment began to emerge at discount sporting goods and retail stores. Suddenly new "bowhunters" were stumbling into the woods with their inferior, untuned equipment and lack of knowledge sending arrows out at any legal animal they could see. The result? greater numbers of animals wounded, "bowhunters" riding in the back of pickups with arrow rested and nocked (bad idea) even some falling on their own arrows and the beginning of a lack of respect by the hunting community.

A similar evolutionary path has been taken with the metal detector industry. I now see metal detectors in most major retail stores and now Harbor Freight is selling a $19.95 BFO unit!! And let us not forget the "Cheesy" ad White's has been playing for several years now (one would think they could change the copy now and then!) I assume they play the same one out East as here. The one about the guy needing a "healthy" hobby and finding the ring? My point should be obvious but the answer is vague. Fortunately I live out west (actually only about 1.5 hours from the White's factory) and probably do not experience the over crowding some of you mention. I would appreciate any and all thoughts (and any answers) to this matter of growing concern.

Old 10-29-2006, 12:47 AM

i have a heart condition told to walk i found a silver ring two weeks ago i have a whites idx pro i could hve done it with a garrettts i dont find the ad weak at all

Old 12-08-2006, 01:21 PM
Elite Member

It all sounds pretty resonable to me! I'll go for that. 8)

Old 12-27-2006, 11:57 AM

wow, aim proud of being a detectorest :spin: did i right it correct?

Old 12-29-2006, 09:48 PM

Hello, all. My name is Chris and I live in Canton, Georgia (some civil war sites around). My son (who is 9) and I have decided to take up this sport (?). I stumbled upon this site and am SO glad that I did. I am a member of the Historical Society here and think that I have given my son the bug. After checking the site for referrals and what we should buy for a MD, we decided on a Garrett Ace 250. It should be here in a couple of days and can not wait! Thanks for posting these rules so that we can be respectful and do things the right way. I can not wait to find some relics. I do not care for the monetary value of them (well, sort of), rather I would just love to find something that old! Thanks for everything!