Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Coiltek electronics
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Other Forums > Family Friendly Topics

Old 01-06-2017, 09:34 PM
Elite Member

Default Have you cut the cord?

My 10 year Directv relationship ended this week and getting ready to install an outdoor antenna for local channels. With Internet streaming the cable satellite/companies are losing customers by the droves. I just finally got tired of paying for !!!! channels. Watching diggers now commercial free and haven't missed directv yet!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 01-06-2017, 09:42 PM
Supporter

1.5 years for me. It's been a little bit of a struggle for me. Paying 90.00 a month for junk tv channels was bad, but listening to the missus complain about paying 90.00 a month for junk tv channels was more than I can bear. She wore me down, probably 5+ years of listening to her speak of cutting tha cord, she caught me at a weak moment and I finally gave in.

Old 01-06-2017, 09:47 PM
Elite Member

I did a few months back, I now tether my phone to my computer and VGA to my tv for a monitor and watch all my shows when I want to and also have a few sites for movies. I dont miss it but I wish my locals were in english, I only get NBC in english

Old 01-06-2017, 09:48 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by Big Treble View post
1.5 years for me. It's been a little bit of a struggle for me. Paying 90.00 a month for junk tv channels was bad, but listening to the missus complain about paying 90.00 a month for junk tv channels was more than I can bear. She wore me down, probably 5+ years of listening to her speak of cutting tha cord, she caught me at a weak moment and I finally gave in.

lol you know the hardest part was finally getting around to doing it. It was always nagging at me knowing I was wasting almost $1000 a year!

Old 01-06-2017, 09:50 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by allank View post
I did a few months back, I now tether my phone to my computer and VGA to my tv for a monitor and watch all my shows when I want to and also have a few sites for movies. I dont miss it but I wish my locals were in english, I only get NBC in english

Do you have buffering issues going through your phone to your tv? One would have to have unlimited data for this to work!

Old 01-06-2017, 09:53 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by ugadigger View post
Do you have buffering issues going through your phone to your tv? One would have to have unlimited data for this to work!

I have 9 gb of 4 g a month and then its 3g in the busy times , with boost mobile for 60$ a month, in the afternoon between 3 and 6 usually I have to let it buffer a little but the rest of the time I am good, it was a lot slower this week when they stole the copper wire from the nearest cell tower again but usually just a few minutes and I am good to go

Old 01-06-2017, 09:54 PM
Elite Member

Never started with it

Old 01-06-2017, 09:56 PM
Supporter

2 years cable cutter here. We have to have high speed internet for work but we do OTA with HD antenna , TiVo Roamio DVR, Hulu, and Prime Video included in already purchased Amazon Prime.

Old 01-06-2017, 09:58 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by allank View post
I have 9 gb of 4 g a month and then its 3g in the busy times , with boost mobile for 60$ a month, in the afternoon between 3 and 6 usually I have to let it buffer a little but the rest of the time I am good, it was a lot slower this week when they stole the copper wire from the nearest cell tower again but usually just a few minutes and I am good to go

My home internet is with Comcast and at 1 terabyte which translates to 1024 gb. I can go to unlimited for 50 bucks more but so far hasn't been necessary. I never will enter a contract again!

Old 01-06-2017, 10:00 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by fuzzytexan View post
2 years cable cutter here. We have to have high speed internet for work but we do OTA with HD antenna , TiVo Roamio DVR, Hulu, and Prime Video included in already purchased Amazon Prime.

Awesome!!! Hulu has some great choices

Old 01-06-2017, 10:20 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by ugadigger View post
My home internet is with Comcast and at 1 terabyte which translates to 1024 gb. I can go to unlimited for 50 bucks more but so far hasn't been necessary. I never will enter a contract again!

Thats why I use boost, no contract, no pay no phone, its simple

I got rid of direct tv prepaid but they screwed me over and I said no more, I ordered a special of HBO for 2 weeks for dirt cheap, they didn't turn it off and then charged me for it by turning off my service andsaid it was my fault ..... they got too much money from me

Old 01-06-2017, 10:24 PM
Global Moderator

Default Last month 4 me

After 20 years starting with Primestar. They were taken over by DTV and the downward spiral began. $185 per month for poor channel choice and escalating commercial time. I now have a basic Xfinity with high def that my 184 didnt
have. I supplement my tv time with a streaming device. I run my laptop through the tv. 22 channels on a omni-directional antenna.

Old 01-06-2017, 11:07 PM
Supporter

Our high speed internet is thru cable, thing is, they won't sell you just internet by itself, you have to at least get the basic tv otherwise we would just get internet from them. At least the internet has been very dependable.

We have a Magnavox DVR that connects to our WIFI and we can see stuff from that on our smartphones and tablets too, even from outside in the yard and even when the DVR is off.

John 3:5 Acts 2:38
Navy Vet

Old 01-07-2017, 01:07 AM
Elite Member

We haven't had satellite/cable since 2006. We also have no realistic internet offerings, so we just have utilized over the air TV and since I'm grandfathered in from an original IPhone unlimited plan from way back, so all my YouTube subscriptions are watched on my phone, as is my FMD reading/posting.

My inlaws still have DirectTV or whatever it is now. Sure it's nice to see some different shows (still haven't seen Diggers) but it seems ridiculous to pay for a service and then be bombarded with so much advertising on top of a hefty monthly fee... No thanks!

Old 01-07-2017, 03:31 AM
Elite Member

Some time back I dumped dish network and got a cheap basic cable subscription with high speed internet for around what I was paying for dish. I have been streaming hulu and Netflix for a while and I have the basic cable to fall back on. I just found a streaming program called Kodi that enables you to watch just about anything out there for free and may be able to get rid of hulu and Netflix now. Supposed to be able to get live tv somehow on there as well so even the basic cable may become obsolete and all I need is good internet , who knows. The way the cable companies keep charging more and more for all that useless content that goes unwatched they must want to lose people. No wonder they are into the internet business now , that soon will be the only thing available. That's not entirely a bad thing , being able to stream shows when you want to see them is pretty convenient.

Old 01-07-2017, 06:59 AM
Supporter

I pay just under $10/mo for my DirecTV subscription. Premium channels and free equipment installations. I do not work for DirecTV.

If I were a single guy, I'd prob cut the cord. But, having a wife and kids there'd be a lot of whining if I did.

When I listen to LED ZEPPELIN...so do my neighbors.

Old 01-07-2017, 08:04 AM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by amc rulz View post
I pay just under $10/mo for my DirecTV subscription. Premium channels and free equipment installations. I do not work for DirecTV.

If I were a single guy, I'd prob cut the cord. But, having a wife and kids there'd be a lot of whining if I did.

Wow that's an unheard of price $10?

Old 01-07-2017, 08:12 AM
Elite Member

I have had DirecTV since 1997 no other option. I cannot get over the air channels the Internet is in the stone ages cannot stream anything. The price we have to pay for being in the mountains. So when someone posters a YouTube video that this five minutes long takes me a half hour to watch.

Old 01-07-2017, 09:59 AM

No good options for me other than TWC so I cut the cord about a year ago
RokuTV workd great for me.

Old 01-07-2017, 10:44 AM
Elite Member

I been without Direct TV four over 5 years and I don't miss it at all. I put up an antenna and we have Netflix thru our computer. I would never pay for cable TV again.