Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Colonial Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Metal Detecting > Find a Hunting Buddy

Reply
  
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-06-2017, 07:48 PM
aperdue aperdue is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Humble, TX
Posts: 16
Default Houston, TX

I am a total newbie and have no idea what I am doing.....but I am good company I just got my AT Pro of the magic brown truck and would love to find someone around here that has a little experience that would be willing to show me the ropes and let me do some detectin with em
Reply With Quote


  #2  
Old 01-06-2017, 09:36 PM
Big Treble's Avatar
Big Treble Big Treble is online now
Supporter
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: SW WI
Posts: 2,475
Default

Unfortunately I don't live close, but did want to welcome you to the forum.

__________________
E-Trac, Spectra V3i, ATPro----Most days I'm not sure if I'm a Metal Detectorist, or a Scrap Metal Relocation Engineer.
Big Treble Outdoors Treasure Adventures -Missing big silver & anything remotely valuable since 2010.

Reply With Quote


  #3  
Old 01-06-2017, 11:32 PM
H Desert Digger's Avatar
H Desert Digger H Desert Digger is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Huntington Indiana
Posts: 1,531
Default

When I lived there (in North West Houston) I was told the H was silent and it was pronounced UMBLE. Surely there must be a few others nearby, good luck.

Be sure to read your manual, watch your video. Did you get a good pinpointer and digger?

Look into "test gardens" and practice in the back yard if you can. You'll be ready in no time.

HDD

__________________
Detectors: AT Pro, ACE 300, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Tesoro Vaquero, BHT2

Reply With Quote


  #4  
Old 01-07-2017, 03:21 AM
aperdue aperdue is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Humble, TX
Posts: 16
Default

Originally Posted by H Desert Digger View post
When I lived there (in North West Houston) I was told the H was silent and it was pronounced UMBLE. Surely there must be a few others nearby, good luck.

Be sure to read your manual, watch your video. Did you get a good pinpointer and digger?

Look into "test gardens" and practice in the back yard if you can. You'll be ready in no time.

HDD
Yep, absolutely pronounced "umble" . Dont have a pinpointer or digger yet, spent all my money on the AT Pro. Will pick up a Harbor freight one until I find enough clad to buy a carrot, lol. Will also rig up a diy digger until I dig up enough clad for a better one. I'm going to make this hobby pay for itself, haha
Reply With Quote


1 members found this post helpful.
  #5  
Old 01-07-2017, 10:56 PM
MrNovice's Avatar
MrNovice MrNovice is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Just outside Dallas, TX, 'Murica
Posts: 2,275
Default

Dollar General and Dollar Tree have very cheap garden digging shovels, just not very strong to dig deep. I broke 3 in my first month but they were only like $3 each and in that month I dug enough clad with them to buy a real digger. This hobby can definitely pay for itself if you stay at it!

Happy Hunting from Dallas!
Reply With Quote


  #6  
Old 01-07-2017, 11:13 PM
H Desert Digger's Avatar
H Desert Digger H Desert Digger is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Huntington Indiana
Posts: 1,531
Default

Originally Posted by aperdue View post
Yep, absolutely pronounced "umble" . Dont have a pinpointer or digger yet, spent all my money on the AT Pro. Will pick up a Harbor freight one until I find enough clad to buy a carrot, lol. Will also rig up a diy digger until I dig up enough clad for a better one. I'm going to make this hobby pay for itself, haha
In some parts of the country and around the world, there are folks that MD for a living and do fairly well at it. Here in NE Indiana where I am now, I'm lucky to find enough clad to pay for my batteries...

When I started MD'n in Southern California, I was doing very well with clad. I made close to 80.00 in a 3 month period one time when I was laid off and hunting on a daily basis.

HDD

__________________
Detectors: AT Pro, ACE 300, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Tesoro Vaquero, BHT2

Reply With Quote


  #7  
Old 01-07-2017, 11:41 PM
aperdue aperdue is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Humble, TX
Posts: 16
Default

Originally Posted by H Desert Digger View post
In some parts of the country and around the world, there are folks that MD for a living and do fairly well at it. Here in NE Indiana where I am now, I'm lucky to find enough clad to pay for my batteries...

When I started MD'n in Southern California, I was doing very well with clad. I made close to 80.00 in a 3 month period one time when I was laid off and hunting on a daily basis.

HDD
That is nuts that people can do it for a living. Just a hobby for me. I love my job fightin fire. Wouldnt want to do anything else. Shoot, I'll just be excited to pull scrap out of the ground for a little while.
Reply With Quote


  #8  
Old 01-07-2017, 11:58 PM
H Desert Digger's Avatar
H Desert Digger H Desert Digger is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Huntington Indiana
Posts: 1,531
Default

Originally Posted by aperdue View post
That is nuts that people can do it for a living. Just a hobby for me. I love my job fightin fire. Wouldnt want to do anything else. Shoot, I'll just be excited to pull scrap out of the ground for a little while.

I had to smile to myself at your last line. I was so amazed when I first figured out the settings for my Bounty Hunter Tracker IV....I was finding nails and bottle caps "hidden" in the back yard. My son thought I was nuts because I made such a big deal of finding all this metal trash in the yard.

HDD

__________________
Detectors: AT Pro, ACE 300, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Tesoro Vaquero, BHT2

Reply With Quote


1 members found this post helpful.
  #9  
Old 01-08-2017, 01:08 AM
Texas Ed Texas Ed is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: South East Texas
Posts: 68
Default

Welcome to FMDF aperdue - lots of great finds have been made with the ATP & one fantastic machine and should not take you long to learn how to set it up. Bury yourself some clad - silver - some old jewelry - aluminum slaw & pull tab at various depths for a test garden, then ground balance and practice with different settings. Wish you many finds while out dirt fishin.

Texas ED
S/E Texas Gulf Coast
Reply With Quote


  #10  
Old 01-09-2017, 10:27 AM
aperdue aperdue is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Humble, TX
Posts: 16
Default

If anyone would be interested in helping, you can contact me on facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/perdueal
Reply With Quote


  #11  
Old 01-09-2017, 10:32 AM
jerr-man's Avatar
jerr-man jerr-man is offline
Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: KANSAS
Posts: 2,357
Default

Welcome from Kansas. Good Luck and Happy Hunting.

__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


2016 TOTALS 39 SILVERS, 22 INDIANS, 1 "V",12 rings
OLDEST COIN: 1860 AUSTRIA 1 KREUZER
CTX 3030, XP DEUS, AT Propointer

Reply With Quote


Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:05 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.