Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Show Me Treasure
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Metal Detecting > Research and Getting Permission

Reply
  
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 06-17-2012, 01:22 AM
blk86trbo's Avatar
blk86trbo blk86trbo is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Land of Lincoln
Posts: 979
Default

Originally Posted by fledge View post
I completely agree which is why I haven't gone back. I am goin to ask for permission because right next door is a ski park which is obviously closed during the summer and there property line is right next to the spot we found.
There ya go, that sounds like a great spot, good luck!

__________________
E-TRAC..Total silver coins: 140 ~ Oldest silver: 1876 Seated Dime ~ Largest silver: 1917 Walker ~ Oldest coin: Matron Head Large Cent (1816-1839)

Reply With Quote


  #22  
Old 06-17-2012, 08:29 AM
amxfred's Avatar
amxfred amxfred is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Northern Illinois
Posts: 800
Default

Please quit calling and asking for permission. You are bringing it to everyone's attention and ruining it for others.

__________________
2017 Totals: 21 Clad / $1.85 / 1 Silver Coin / 2 Wheaties / 0 Rings
2011-16 Totals: 12,902 Clad / $1,094.43 / 301 Silver Coins / 590 Wheaties / 71 rings

Reply With Quote


3 members found this post helpful.
  #23  
Old 06-17-2012, 10:11 AM
Milhaus's Avatar
Milhaus Milhaus is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 2,564
Default

They need to know that MDers won't settle for anything less than the ability to practice their hobby on public property. Trying to fly under the radar and not doing anything because it's not in our own back yard this time is how we got into this mess.
Reply With Quote


1 members found this post helpful.
  #24  
Old 06-17-2012, 11:43 AM
Bonesquat's Avatar
Bonesquat Bonesquat is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Middle TN
Posts: 8,877
Default

They're saying no to cover their butts. Don't ever ask about any public or city grounds. I've found that most don't care as long as you aren't carrying a shovel and leaving craters. Asking permission on schools and public property will almost always get a firm no, mainly because it's a safe answer. Go to the towns you asked about and detect anyways until someone asks you to leave. I bet nothing will happen.

__________________
E-trac/Compadre-SILVER coins(168) 1923 Silv Dollar 1848 O half | Halves: 4 | QRTS: 29 | Dimes: 123 | War N: 9 |||| Other finds | Gold:12 | Wheats: 644 | IHs:10

Reply With Quote


  #25  
Old 06-17-2012, 11:55 AM
Mike1961's Avatar
Mike1961 Mike1961 is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Illinois
Posts: 3,097
Default

Originally Posted by amxfred View post
Please quit calling and asking for permission. You are bringing it to everyone's attention and ruining it for others.
Yep, I agree 100%. As I have said before hunt now and apologize later.

__________________
Fisher F2 2011 Totals Clad $120.21 Silver $0.25 Silver Ring 1 Jewelry 3 Gold Jewelry 2
2012 Totals Clad $14.99 Silver Coins 2 Bad season, we had a drought.

Reply With Quote


2 members found this post helpful.
  #26  
Old 06-17-2012, 11:56 AM
Mike1961's Avatar
Mike1961 Mike1961 is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Illinois
Posts: 3,097
Default

Originally Posted by Bonesquat View post
They're saying no to cover their butts. Don't ever ask about any public or city grounds. I've found that most don't care as long as you aren't carrying a shovel and leaving craters. Asking permission on schools and public property will almost always get a firm no, mainly because it's a safe answer. Go to the towns you asked about and detect anyways until someone asks you to leave. I bet nothing will happen.
True Bonesquat.

__________________
Fisher F2 2011 Totals Clad $120.21 Silver $0.25 Silver Ring 1 Jewelry 3 Gold Jewelry 2
2012 Totals Clad $14.99 Silver Coins 2 Bad season, we had a drought.

Reply With Quote


  #27  
Old 06-17-2012, 09:00 PM
Dracula Dracula is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: North East IL/ North West IN
Posts: 1
Default

You could try going south near the Kankakee River, like Grant Park or Momence. I simply just find land after the farmer has turned it, and knock on the door and ask it's alright. 9 out of 10 times they don't mind at all.
Reply With Quote


  #28  
Old 06-17-2012, 09:24 PM
fledge's Avatar
fledge fledge is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Lake in the Hills IL
Posts: 341
Default

Originally Posted by amxfred View post
Please quit calling and asking for permission. You are bringing it to everyone's attention and ruining it for others.
OK I will just shut up and do nothing.

__________________
Vaquero,Compadre,BH Landstar,Propointer,Lesche Digger
Oldest coin: 1919 Buffalo 2012 Clad Count: $36.62 Silver: 1 Gold: 0 Tokens: 6

Reply With Quote


  #29  
Old 06-17-2012, 09:39 PM
fledge's Avatar
fledge fledge is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Lake in the Hills IL
Posts: 341
Default

Originally Posted by Milhaus View post
They need to know that MDers won 't settle for anything less than the ability to practice their hobby on public property. Trying to fly under the radar and not doing anything because it's not in our own back yard this time is how we got into this mess.
Thanks Mil that's what I was thinking. I went into this thinking that it would be nice to be allowed to metal detect in all areas and to show that we are not a bunch of land destroyers with our pick axes and back hoes. I had no intention of "ruining" anyone's chances.

__________________
Vaquero,Compadre,BH Landstar,Propointer,Lesche Digger
Oldest coin: 1919 Buffalo 2012 Clad Count: $36.62 Silver: 1 Gold: 0 Tokens: 6

Reply With Quote


  #30  
Old 06-17-2012, 09:59 PM
Mike1961's Avatar
Mike1961 Mike1961 is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Illinois
Posts: 3,097
Default

Originally Posted by fledge View post
Thanks Mil that's what I was thinking. I went into this thinking that it would be nice to be allowed to metal detect in all areas and to show that we are not a bunch of land destroyers with our pick axes and back hoes. I had no intention of "ruining" anyone's chances.
Yes, this is true but we need to do this as a group. An individual is too easy to push aside.

__________________
Fisher F2 2011 Totals Clad $120.21 Silver $0.25 Silver Ring 1 Jewelry 3 Gold Jewelry 2
2012 Totals Clad $14.99 Silver Coins 2 Bad season, we had a drought.

Reply With Quote


1 members found this post helpful.
  #31  
Old 06-17-2012, 10:08 PM
fledge's Avatar
fledge fledge is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Lake in the Hills IL
Posts: 341
Default

That's true to be totally honest with you guys. I have never spoke up for this before I always just detected where I wanted til I got kicked out. I really never did realize that there were a group of us that were ok with this. I figured we all thought it sucks. I never realized that bringing attention to our hobby could be seen as a bad thing, but I kinda see it now. I am going to lay low in some of the towns that said no because they may be looking for it now. Even though I am sure that they said no cause they had no idea. I will let the emails to the county go unless I am contacted. When I am contacted I will post back on here with the answer and we all can decide what the next step we should be. I want the best for all of us. So it should be up to all of us to figure it out together.

__________________
Vaquero,Compadre,BH Landstar,Propointer,Lesche Digger
Oldest coin: 1919 Buffalo 2012 Clad Count: $36.62 Silver: 1 Gold: 0 Tokens: 6

Reply With Quote


  #32  
Old 06-19-2012, 06:51 AM
pryan67's Avatar
pryan67 pryan67 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Northern Illinois
Posts: 413
Default

As far as I know, all of McHenry County is open season...there are no regulations (other than at State or Federal parks...)

This is the first I've heard of any regulations at all
Reply With Quote


  #33  
Old 06-19-2012, 04:35 PM
fledge's Avatar
fledge fledge is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Lake in the Hills IL
Posts: 341
Default

I haven't heard of any either and the other guys are right I am going until I am told different. I have asked for permission to the the ski hill that butts up to our nice spot since they are private property. I am waiting for my answer if I cant get to my spot Ill get right next to it. According to old maps it was a large campground in the 40's.

__________________
Vaquero,Compadre,BH Landstar,Propointer,Lesche Digger
Oldest coin: 1919 Buffalo 2012 Clad Count: $36.62 Silver: 1 Gold: 0 Tokens: 6

Reply With Quote


  #34  
Old 08-23-2012, 02:18 AM
Pulltab King Pulltab King is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 4
Default Metal Detecting Permint

John, I am so glad that you sent that message to all the Forest Preserves regarding the metal detecting permit. Wish it was that easy. You just don't know how many times I have been told that" You can not dig here." It suck's but what I dont undrstand is that I have talked to Police Officers in Cook County and they dont have a problem with it. But as for the Forest Preserve Officers that's a whole new story.
Reply With Quote


  #35  
Old 08-23-2012, 11:40 AM
mtldetectorman mtldetectorman is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: St Charles MO
Posts: 14
Default

hey i live in aurora just curious as to which cities told you no so i can avoid them... unless its somewhere i have some honey holes!
Reply With Quote


  #36  
Old 08-26-2012, 11:01 AM
coin chaser's Avatar
coin chaser coin chaser is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: illinois,chicago suburbs
Posts: 2,427
Default

I live in joliet and hunt alot of parks and have never had anyone say any thing. for the most part I hunt the early mornings when the places are not crowded. I've hunted parks from chicago to joliet with no problems. There are also little parks in the residentail areas that where old home lots that you rarely see people at and are great little honey holes. Just try to stay off the beaten path and not there during peak times. I'am a heating and air guy and drive a lot as I pass a place that looks good I save it as a favorite in my gps and go back another time. Tons of little parks are not on maps. GL & HH!
Reply With Quote


  #37  
Old 08-26-2012, 09:00 PM
blk86trbo's Avatar
blk86trbo blk86trbo is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Land of Lincoln
Posts: 979
Default

Originally Posted by coin chaser View post
I live in joliet and hunt alot of parks and have never had anyone say any thing. for the most part I hunt the early mornings when the places are not crowded. I've hunted parks from chicago to joliet with no problems. There are also little parks in the residentail areas that where old home lots that you rarely see people at and are great little honey holes. Just try to stay off the beaten path and not there during peak times. I'am a heating and air guy and drive a lot as I pass a place that looks good I save it as a favorite in my gps and go back another time. Tons of little parks are not on maps. GL & HH!
Ever have any luck at West park? I've found a few things, but you really got to work to find it. I'd imagine there's been hundreds of people there in the past.

__________________
E-TRAC..Total silver coins: 140 ~ Oldest silver: 1876 Seated Dime ~ Largest silver: 1917 Walker ~ Oldest coin: Matron Head Large Cent (1816-1839)

Reply With Quote


  #38  
Old 02-22-2014, 03:20 PM
CaptJohn CaptJohn is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 1
Default Come on!

Originally Posted by amxfred View post
Please quit calling and asking for permission. You are bringing it to everyone's attention and ruining it for others.

Oh please! You really don't believe by calling you bring unwanted attention do you? That's ridiculous!

I have been lurking on the forums for a long time and decided I just had to reply to this ridiculous comment.

OK, I do work for "a" County Forrest Preserve in Illinois. (name withheld). I do have first hand information that there has been constructive discussions on MD at our preserves. And, mostly due to the many calls, emails and letters we receive.

However, I am willing to bet that the MD issue(s) won't be fully considered at the board level for some time yet, if at all. But, I won't go into certain elected officials and their views.

Again, I wanted to respond to this gentleman's comment trying to tell people not to make phone calls. Do make calls and let yourself be heard. It's a great hobby and those elected by us need to know this!

For the record, I am one of many Preserve Rangers/employees that enjoy the hobby of metal detecting.
Reply With Quote


2 members found this post helpful.
  #39  
Old 02-22-2014, 05:20 PM
Tom_in_CA's Avatar
Tom_in_CA Tom_in_CA is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 4,893
Default

Originally Posted by CaptJohn View post
Oh please! You really don't believe by calling you bring unwanted attention do you? That's ridiculous!

I have been lurking on the forums for a long time and decided I just had to reply to this ridiculous comment.

OK, I do work for "a" County Forrest Preserve in Illinois. (name withheld). I do have first hand information that there has been constructive discussions on MD at our preserves. And, mostly due to the many calls, emails and letters we receive.

However, I am willing to bet that the MD issue(s) won't be fully considered at the board level for some time yet, if at all. But, I won't go into certain elected officials and their views.

Again, I wanted to respond to this gentleman's comment trying to tell people not to make phone calls. Do make calls and let yourself be heard. It's a great hobby and those elected by us need to know this!

For the record, I am one of many Preserve Rangers/employees that enjoy the hobby of metal detecting.

Wow, what an old thread.

Ok then captn-john, let's read carefully what you yourself have written S-L-O-W-L-Y and see if it self destructs:

a) you say that the amxfred's advice to not ask permission is not a wise idea. Ie.: the fly under the radar and don't make waves or ask dumb questions is "ill-advised". Right?

b) And as proof of this, you give your own entity as an example of where people asked, and "constructive discussions" had/have gone on about "allowing" md'ing, right?

c) yet reading closely, you say that the REASON why these "discussions" have EVEN GONE ON in the first place, is d/t " .... the many calls, emails and letters we receive."

d) And presumably the answer your entity gives might eventually be "no", right? (or on the other hand, it might be "yes", but as of this post, you're not saying which it is).

e) Then it seems to me that it's NOT a "ridiculous" notion that ".... by calling you bring unwanted attention ". Because in the case you site (your own entity), THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT IS HAPPENING!

Now I don't know the already-existing rules at your particular entity. Perhaps there is a rule that truly and specifically says "no metal detecting". If so, then fine, solidarity to get that over-turned is great. But if your entity is only answering the "numerous inquiries" by morphing other things to apply (disturbing wildlife, harvesting and removing, alterations and defacement, etc...), then all those people asking have merely availed themselves of being the latest victims of "no one cared, till you asked".

And if any passing ranger or personell DID now see an md'r, they merely recall the earlier inquiries, and think "aha! there's one of THEM" and start booting others. Or ask themselves "gee, do we allow this?" and so forth.

Thus I agree with the others in this thread and amxfred: If there's no specific rule that said "no metal detecting", then you do not need to ask "can I metal detect" ANY MORE THAN YOU NEED TO ASK IF YOU CAN FLY FRISBEES.
Reply With Quote


1 members found this post helpful.
  #40  
Old 02-22-2014, 08:12 PM
Digger don's Avatar
Digger don Digger don is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Northern Illinois
Posts: 255
Default

Originally Posted by mtldetectorman View post
hey i live in aurora just curious as to which cities told you no so i can avoid them... unless its somewhere i have some honey holes!
Don't do Naperville.. $100.00 Ticket

__________________
Garrett AT PRO

Reply With Quote


Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
This is Just Ridiculous Isaac43 General Hobby Discussion 34 02-21-2014 02:13 PM
From the ridiculous to the sublime FoiledAgain Stories and Pictures of Finds 1 03-28-2011 11:47 PM
2 for 2....This is getting ridiculous... Beefcake Stories and Pictures of Finds 33 03-18-2009 09:54 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:40 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.