Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Big boys Hobbies
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Metal Detecting > War Relic Hunting

Old 12-28-2016, 06:01 PM

Default Not coolest relic but very cool story

So, what I found here is neither rare nor of particular value. The backstory is kind of neat though, at least IMHO.

Last summer my boys and I hit the backyard pretty hard. Among many things we turned up this Vietnam era service medal. Kind of neat, wonder who dropped that kind of deal. Cleaned it up and put it in the goody box.

Fast forward a few months. I transfer to a new unit and at some point the readiness NCO is reviewing my file, of all things he notices he actually grew up in the home we now live in! I ask him if his dad, or other relatives, had been in the service during Viet Nam...say's "yes, dad was in the Navy" (which would have been one of the branches to receive this award). I say, "I think I have something you might have lost while playing Army in the old backyard. Why not ask your dad if he recognizes this, maybe be fun to give it back."

So he takes a picture, shows it to his father over the Holidays and turns out it was his. I had already offered its return and he politely asked if the offer still stood...told him it did if he also took all of his old matchbox cars that have turned my yard to Swiss Cheese. Hell of an ice breaker for the new guy.

Old 12-28-2016, 07:10 PM
Elite Member

Awesome.

YouTube Channel: VA History Detector
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeCbm3RkzvKcudSQD79O0PA

Old 12-28-2016, 08:57 PM

What a great find/story!!!! Good job!!!

Old 12-28-2016, 09:02 PM
"Can Do" Moderator

Love the stories of our finds and how they turn out! Speaking as a Viet Nam Era Vet...Thank You!!

Old 12-28-2016, 11:14 PM

That is totally cool! I bet that made his dad's day getting it back, good for you!

Old 12-28-2016, 11:35 PM

The really amazing part is not the find but HOW all the pieces ended up getting put together. Had I gone to any other unit his son (who lived in my house as a boy) would never had seen my personnel file, and none of this would have happened. It's really more of a 'its a small world story', over a great find story...makes it seem like some treasures must want to be found.

Old 12-29-2016, 12:22 AM
Elite Member

Small world !!

Old 12-29-2016, 06:01 AM
Supporter

Originally Posted by westside_benny View post
The really amazing part is not the find but HOW all the pieces ended up getting put together. Had I gone to any other unit his son (who lived in my house as a boy) would never had seen my personnel file, and none of this would have happened. It's really more of a 'its a small world story', over a great find story...makes it seem like some treasures must want to be found.
I agree with that...some treasures were meant to be found and returned...You did a Good one there Buddy!
Mud

Detecting is the study of Mankinds interaction with topography, the untrustworthiness of pockets, and metals desire to return to the Earth from whence it came.

Old 12-29-2016, 05:13 PM

Truly amazing set of circumstances worked together for that return as detectorists don't grow on trees or live on every block. The power above may have guided this along. As a Viet Nam vet myself thanks for sharing this story.

macro racer 2, Whites mx5, trx pinpointer

Old 12-29-2016, 07:36 PM

Great story, thanks for sharing!