Bad Hunt Turned Great! I'll Never Top It! IT IS A FIRST EVER!

Pennyfinder

Elite Member
There was a site I used to detect regularly until the person in charge of the place felt it was a nuisance for me to be there! So I hadn't been back in three years at least. Well I ran into him about a month ago and asked politely if I could come during Spring Break. He thought about it and said "Okay, call me." So I waited until Spring Break! Worse than waiting for Christmas!

Spring Break came -- IT WAS TOO COLD OR TOO WET MOST OF THE WEEK! :mad: So I saw the weather report for Saturday -- TODAY! Sunny and about 68 degrees! So I called him on Friday and he agreed to let me hunt for 2 hours from 10:00 a.m. to 12:00 Noon. Weatherman lied. I woke up to clouds and a misty, drizzly day but I went anyway!

Since this site has been known for it's SILVER, I figured what the hey -- dig out the AT Pro -- since it is water proof, even though I'm not! I arrived 15 minutes early and started hunting. The AT Pro chattered constantly, driving me insane! I ground balanced it, took out ALL iron, notched out two on the lower end and dropped the sensitivity two from the top. Still chattered some but was better. Needless to say I was not a happy camper and was calling the AT Pro all kinds of names and threatening it with never going to use it again and always use my Tesoro Compadre.

The first hour and 15 minutes was spent digging everything else you see in the picture. THEN with another threat of quitting and going home, the AT Pro SHOWED ME who was boss! I got a blasting signal in the pea gravel that was coming in at 88-92! YEAH my guess was an aluminum can! And it said 10 inches! Sure -- it's raining a little harder now and I'm ready to call it quits but the detector in me says DIG IT!

Okay! I got all 4 inches of the pea gravel out of the way! It's still in there and screaming! I dig and I dig and I dig -- now I'm down in the dirt, clay and gravel and it's muddy (YUCK). I was getting filthy and frustrated -- still thinking aluminum can! NOPE! WRONG!

At exactly 11:00 A.M. when the church clock started chiming I spotted the rim! BIG SILVER! You gotta be kidding me! :shock: It's a first for me! I managed to scratch it though (or maybe the gravel did?)! BUT I DON'T CARE! I've found plenty of silver dimes, quarters and war nickels -- but NEVER a silver half dollar -- STILL HAVEN'T! I just got my FIRST EVER SILVER DOLLAR! 1922 Peace Dollar! I'm still shaking! One "bucket-lister" off my list!

:dingding::clapping::cheer::excited::woohoo:

I think I can retire from detecting -- I'll never top that! AMAZING! Thank you LORD! I didn't stay until noon. I figured I couldn't top that and the rain was getting worse! So I gave it up and went home a happy camper! :D

Thanks for looking! GL & HH!

Attachments

• 1922 Peace Dollar In The Hole.jpg
    1922 Peace Dollar In The Hole.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 1,163
  • 1922 Peace Dollar Out Of Hole.jpg
    1922 Peace Dollar Out Of Hole.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 1,111
  • Special MD Hunt 03-24-2018.jpg
    Special MD Hunt 03-24-2018.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 1,112
Last edited:
Awesome for sure. Congrats. I would have prolly given up long before I got that deep figuring it was a can. Come to think of it I have given up on those kind of digs many times.....

You may never top this day but there are plenty more adventures in this hobby Penny for you to enjoy. Welcome to the Silver Dollar Club with the rare dug Peace Dollar and congrats on one of your most treasured days in this hobby. Trapper

Here's a close up of the front of the Peace Dollar taken with my phone!

Attachments

• 1922 Peace Dollar Close Up.jpg
    1922 Peace Dollar Close Up.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 1,061
Congrats to you Pennyfinder!!!!! Ive been at this 42 years and have not found a silver dollar. Great story and great find!!!!!

:wow::wow::wow:

Cool story and great coin! Congrats on the find.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom