1972 penny double die

obx338

I found this today and looked at pictures on Google. It looks like a match. Can someone give me an opinion?

Attachments

• penny 004.jpg
    penny 004.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 12,991
You would have to post better pictures ( Zoom ) of the date or lettering for us to see if it´s Double Die.

You can either do that with micro settings on your camera or scan the coin,

For your refrence here is a link to a 1972 Double die obverse ( front of coin )

http://www.coinsite.com/content/faq/1972dd.asp

If you look at the coin it feels like your seeing double. If your coin has that it is a DDO 1972 but if not you would have to take clear zoomed in pictures of the lettering.

Siggi :)

Look for this

Without a close up picture, I can only tell you some parts of the coin to look at. The words "In God" are more doubled than the rest of the motto. Also the "2" in 1972 is the most noticable in doubling. Without that, it may be a lesser variety or not one at all. Hope this helps.

Good picture,

This is not a double die. Double die is when the lettering or numbers are struck twice. They can either be as you are seeing double or thicker.

Siggi

Just courious!! What did you see on yours that made you think it was a double die..Maybe were missing something.:?:

You would have to post better pictures ( Zoom ) of the date or lettering for us to see if it´s Double Die.

You can either do that with micro settings on your camera or scan the coin,

For your refrence here is a link to a 1972 Double die obverse ( front of coin )

http://www.coinsite.com/content/faq/1972dd.asp

If you look at the coin it feels like your seeing double. If your coin has that it is a DDO 1972 but if not you would have to take clear zoomed in pictures of the lettering.

Siggi :)

Yep, way to far away to see any sort of error.

Just the way the edges are and, the whole heads side of the coin is deeper than normal. The edge at the right shoulder is thick and the edge near the word trust is very thin

Just the way the edges are and, the whole heads side of the coin is deeper than normal. The edge at the right shoulder is thick and the edge near the word trust is very thin

Yeah, alot of pennies are like that but it has to be as illustrated by FXDiz for it to be the 1972 double die.
Sorry.

What you are describing is off center coins. Yours has a slight off center but still in the normal range that the mint would let it go for circulation.

I have learned so much by looking at the pennys I bought the other day about 18 Kg of them. So you will learn when you ask questions and one day you will find one of those gems if you know what you are looking at :)

Siggi

If you take a close look at the example penny, the words Liberty and In God We Trust is double struck.You can clearly see a ghost image of the letters. The penny you found doesn't show the double lettering. Sorry Dude

The double die coin is not a coin that has been struck twice. The working die has been stuck twice and make all the coins struck the way. Bill Fivaz and J. T. Stanton's book "Cherrypickers' Guide on rare die varieties on US coins and it will explains the differences. Better luck not time. (:-0)

most 72's are

most 72 pennies are struck like that.with the wider rim towards one side.i can spot a 72 penny in change right off because of that feature.they are very common and don't command any premium in price.its worth a penny

most 72 pennies are struck like that.with the wider rim towards one side.i can spot a 72 penny in change right off because of that feature.they are very common and don't command any premium in price.its worth a penny

It's actually worth about 1.96 cents ... in copper. :D

Back
Top Bottom