Wheats, Silver and a couple "Extra Points"

Steve77

Elite Member
My brother in law was visiting from out of town and I had him bring his AT Pro with him. I got permission to detect an old 1 room schoolhouse several years ago, but never took the chance. Well, today I cashed in the permission slip. Spent several hours digging almost nothing but pennies. I dug 38 Memorial pennies, none were zincolns. 10 wheat cents dating back to 1912, but mostly from the 1940s. 2 clad quarters, 2 clad dimes. No nickels whatsoever which is rare for me. The only silver was a Rosie that was a bit smashed up. I have a feeling this place was cherry picked years ago, due to the high numbers of pennies and lack of other coins.
D73jD90.jpg

My brother in laws finds were almost the same coin counts as mine except no silver, also no zinc cents or nickels. He did find an interesting AAA badge though.
COVHaMp.jpg

After metal detecting, I took my daughters out for some mushroom hunting. No mushrooms but, did find 2 more shed antlers, bringing my total up to 4 sheds this week!
23sBVbh.jpg

TUKr3x1.jpg

Nice find! I hope you will hit it again, got be more there. GL

Definitely more stuff there. I'll be back there eventually. I'll probably bring a few newbies who have yet to get any wheat pennies or older coins. I really think there could be some deep stuff here, but I've never felt like the ATP was very deep, especially with the 5x8. My brother in law was running a stock coil on his ATP and was struggling to get targets with the continuous bed of iron trash. This might be a good spot to try something a little deeper. I'm debating getting an Equinox 600, Minelabs seem to be better on deeper stuff and have pretty fast recovery, seems like a good fit for this site and a few others I frequent.

Definitely more stuff there. I'll be back there eventually. I'll probably bring a few newbies who have yet to get any wheat pennies or older coins. I really think there could be some deep stuff here, but I've never felt like the ATP was very deep, especially with the 5x8. My brother in law was running a stock coil on his ATP and was struggling to get targets with the continuous bed of iron trash. This might be a good spot to try something a little deeper. I'm debating getting an Equinox 600, Minelabs seem to be better on deeper stuff and have pretty fast recovery, seems like a good fit for this site and a few others I frequent.

Steve, Using your 5x8 coin surely won't give you great depth for sure. Try using your standard coil with iron audio on. You'll should get more depth and hear some good target between the iron sounds. I bet there are many more goodies!

Steve, Using your 5x8 coin surely won't give you great depth for sure. Try using your standard coil with iron audio on. You'll should get more depth and hear some good target between the iron sounds. I bet there are many more goodies!

In my tests, the stock coil had about an inch depth advantage over the 5x8 on slmost all coins air testing. The problem with the stock coil is the ID is terrible compared to the 5x8. I dig far more rusty nails and trash with the stock coil. I hunt mostly by sound and move slowly. I overlap my swings quite a bit too. I check almost all targets from 2 or 3 directions too. I have back, knee and shoulder problems, so I am kinda fussy about digging trash. I have no problem digging iffy signals, and often recognize the sound of a coin and a nail in the same hole. But woth the big coil, it’s a crapshoot at best. For me, I feel like i miss more targets due to masking than due to depth so I hunt almost exclusively with the 5x8. Occasionally, I forget how much I dislike the stock coil and grab it for a hunt. The lesson is usually quickly learned and I switch back to the 5x8 until my memory fails me the next time.

Back
Top Bottom