How do you sharpen digger teeth?

pplinker

Forum Supporter
Got new little digger today and sharpened the blade. Then sharpened the teeth. Tried cutting a 2x4 and couldn't even make a 1/8 inch cut in it. Is there a special way to sharpen the teeth because I never could do good trying to saw at roots. I'm going to use a pruning knife from now on.

Attachments

• DSC00275.JPG
    DSC00275.JPG
    160.6 KB · Views: 217
  • DSC00276.JPG
    DSC00276.JPG
    160.5 KB · Views: 176
Hand file, would be your best option with your digger. Those teeth are pretty tight together so it will be some work.

Basic straight cut teeth and actual SAW teeth are different...staggered for the kerf on a saw,so it won’t hardly touch that 2x4. Smaller wet roots shouldn’t be an issue,a Hori Hori knife will get you through the rest!

Thanks for the answers on this. I guess they are as sharp enough since it is not designed to cut 2 x 4's, LOL. The shovel portion works great for roots because it is super sharp.

Thanks for the answers on this. I guess they are as sharp enough since it is not designed to cut 2 x 4's, LOL. The shovel portion works great for roots because it is super sharp.
Yeah,once you apply power through the use of your foot it’s hard to think about ever using a hand digger again!:grin:

To me , saw teeth cause more friction going in and out of the ground and get hung up more roots than they actually cut. And they grab , rip and tear at GRASS roots ,....where a smooth blade cuts through them and pushes into the ground easier. Think about it , the difference between digging with a smooth blade vs. a rough jagged edge........ Saw teeth look cool but if roots are thick enough that you have to saw at them I have found that " chopping " through is usually just as effective.

I took the hand held pruner along today in brushy terrain. It made short work of the roots up to a half inch. Also very useful for cutting briars and a couple of small grapevines out of the way.

The MD manufacturers need to market a pruning tool for metal detecting, charge twice as much, and give it a catchy name. Like the root snipper. No,
maybe something like the root wrecker, or root devastator

Back
Top Bottom