coin guys...need some help...

DIGGER27

In Memory Of
Alabama, by way of Detroit, Tampa Bay, Alabama and
Ok all you coin guys...
I have to go out to dinner but I just wanted to see if any of you could answer a quick question.
I will tell the story of this eyeball find and post more pics later.
I did a little research but I am still a little confused so I will go to the experts.

Beware...coin talk ahead.

I found a 1949 Canadian penny and I learned the A to denticle is worth way more than the the A between denticle.
I am pretty sure they mean the first A in Gratia not the second.

Yes...no?
One site said this is true, others were confusing.

Be back later tonight and post more pics.

Thanks for any info!

Attachments

• a-dent.jpg
    a-dent.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 1,449
I believe that is the case only with the 1965 small bead/large bead, pointed 5/blunt 5 canadian cent. But I will double check and let ya know for sure. WOLF

This one's for Stealer he would know.I have no idea?

Thanks for the props RI, but I'm a lame duck for foreign coins. I know nothing about them :D

DIGGER27, I would suggest joining Collectors Universe (your account will take some time to register) and post it in the foreign coins forum.

http://forums.collectors.com/

Almost everyone on there is a real expert!

Alright, I'm back, here's some pics, then the story below.

Front...

centfront.jpg

Back...never looked close at these, not bad looking...

centback.jpg

And a close-up...

gratia.jpg

I work in the self storage industry and today, a long time renter moved out of a space he has occupied since January 1994.
Ever watch Hoarders on cable?
I can't describe this pile of tetanus the guy threw in this 15x20 space 16 years ago, put a lock on the door and never came back to even visit.
He did pay his bills, mostly on time for years, but in the last year I had to chase him down every month for payments to keep him from being certified for auction.
He eventually paid the company I work for over $30,000 dollars over time...unbelievable!
Anyway, a few days ago he sent a moving company to move most of his stuff, but they left a few things they couldn't move.
Today, he sent another guy to pick up the rest.
He still left me a pretty big mess to clean up so I am real happy about that.
When the second guy was done, there was some papers and garbage on the ground around the front of this outdoor unit, so I kicked it all back into the space so my property would look good and I am going to clean it up in the next couple of days.
Then I looked down and saw what I thought was a penny laying on the driveway..
But it looked a little strange.
When I picked it up I realized it was Canadian, and when I looked at the date it was 1949.
Cool!
Not a wheatie but kind of like one!
Curious, I googled 1949 Canadian penny to see how much it was worth.
A penny, 5 cents, maybe a dime, that would have been fine.
Turns out, one particular kind this coin is pretty rare, a certain kind which is called "A to denticle".
I found out a denticle is those little lines that come straight down off the rim.
A to denticle means that top of one of the A's in the word Gratia points to a denticle, not between two of them.

Then I saw a post on a website that addressed the same question of worth that I had..

"The wording on the front of the coin is Latin. The critical word is 'gratia' - and the middle 'a' in that word.
Denticles are the little ridges around the outer edges of the coin. If the tip of the 'A' points between two of the ridges, it is 'a off denticle' and if it points directly to the denticle it is 'a to denticle'. The latter is the valuable one."

So far so good. The first A on my coin appears to point to a denticle.
Further research on sales of these coins got me real confused because some sites and e bay had this rare coin worth anywhere from a couple of bucks to 10 bucks for a circulated coin and $35 in vg condition and $90 in fine or extra fine.
Other sites had this thing worth almost nothing to just a little.
Then I found this sale of a MS64 condition coin for $550 (Canadian).
http://www.icollector.com/1949-A-to-denticle-ICCS-MS64-Red-Ver_i5927405

I have no idea what grade this particular coin I now own would be.
Not that much into coin grading.

Then I found this site which has several posts about this particular coin.
http://www.coincommunity.com/numism...m/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=26573

They seem to concentrate on the second A pointing to denticle, not the first.
Looking at the pictures on the different posts, however got me more confused than ever because in some it appears the first A points to a denticle in some the second in others.
The difference seems to be in microns, and these old eyes have a little trouble with all this close-up stuff, nowadays.
The authority quoted on these seems to point to the second A being the important one, not the first.
I am so confused at this point I really have no idea what is going on.

I know I have something worth at least a penny, maybe it might be worth a couple of bucks, or maybe a few more than that.

I guess I will join stealers recommended site or some other and see what they say.

Whatever it turns out to be, at least I had a couple of exciting hours tonight.
Almost as fun as digging something rare, but I would still rather be digging!
Thanks all!

HH

Cool, although this is not an MS coin by any means. It would probably go VG (very good) would be my guess. Keep us posted on what you find out. WOLF

I joined this community a few minutes ago and posted a request for information and some pics and I am waiting for a reply.
Several members have viewed my post, but no replies yet.

Seems like a nice bunch of knowledgeable, helpful folks over there.

http://www.coincommunity.com

My posts
http://www.coincommunity.com/forum/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=139

Let's wait and see what happens.

Man, I just love my new camera, and I really love this internet thingy!

HH

Just got a reply and it appears the second A is the key one.
My luck still holds true. The bad kind. Oh well.
Worth about 3-4 cents I think, in this condition, 25-30 cents if it was extra fine.
This quest for info was fun anyway, and I got a 1949...Maple?
How many of you not located near the Canadian border can say that?

Thanks again!

HH

Hey Wolf...looks like I got you interested in this Canadian stuff.
I see you are a valued member over there...well, here too.
Thanks for the interest!
I guess we both learned something new.

I grew up in Metro Detroit so I have a little experience with some Canadian coins.
As far as I was concerned, the only thing they were good for was jamming our American vending machines!
They did that very well.:lol:
Also...their paper money looks just like Monopoly money to me.

HH

True, and you have Toronto, Love that city.
Especially Yonge street...some crazy people there, but fun!

Well, there's no shortage of crazy people outside of Toronto up here either, unfortunately most of them are in our government. :lol:

but we were still putting silver in our coinage until 1968...:grin:

yup, you did put silver in coins until 1968 but we had silver in our half dollars all the way through 1969. :D And people are still finding them in rolls at the bank today!:yes:

Interesting story about the candadian cent you found DIGGER27.

Hey Wolf...looks like I got you interested in this Canadian stuff.
I see you are a valued member over there...well, here too.
Thanks for the interest!
I guess we both learned something new.

I grew up in Metro Detroit so I have a little experience with some Canadian coins.
As far as I was concerned, the only thing they were good for was jamming our American vending machines!
They did that very well.:lol:
Also...their paper money looks just like Monopoly money to me.

HH

To funny. I collect all foreign and canadian after all they are our neighbors. Still need to dig out my 49 now and check it out. WOLF

Hi All ! :tiphat:

Attached are pictures of the last "A" in GRATIA pointing to a denticle and alternately pointing off a denticle on the Obverse of a 1949 Canadian Cent.

ToddB64

Attachments

• Screenshot (205).jpg
    Screenshot (205).jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 621
For some reason, I just had a thought. I have to get myself to my denticle’s and get my teeth a cleaning. :laughing:

Ok all you coin guys...
I have to go out to dinner but I just wanted to see if any of you could answer a quick question.
I will tell the story of this eyeball find and post more pics later.
I did a little research but I am still a little confused so I will go to the experts.

Beware...coin talk ahead.

I found a 1949 Canadian penny and I learned the A to denticle is worth way more than the the A between denticle.
I am pretty sure they mean the first A in Gratia not the second.

Yes...no?
One site said this is true, others were confusing.

Be back later tonight and post more pics.

Thanks for any info!
My question is: Who said that one is worth way more than the other? And what are the "values" for each?

Back
Top Bottom