Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Quality Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Detectors and Gear > Advice on Detector Purchase

Old 11-15-2020, 02:55 PM

Default Bounty Hunter TK4 or Sharp Shooter SS2 Bundle

You can read a little about me in my introductory post in the general hobby section from earlier today. My current issue is that I have a friend with an eleven-year-old (almost twelve) boy. She and I believe that a metal detector would be a great Christmas gift for him. I have a few older coins (silver, wheat pennies, etc.) that I plan to “salt” on top of the ground but under the grass this week. We will probably have snow and the ground will be frozen by Christmas, but I hope he will have a ball locating the coins under the snow on Christmas day.
The young man is fairly short, but tough and smart and will grow so I need to get a detector with an adjustable shaft length. She takes the boys to the local parks and freshwater beaches in the area and I would like a detector with a submersible coil and as weather/water tight of a control unit as possible to allow wade hunting at the area beaches and in the swimming shallows.
I have a Bounty Hunter Tracker TK4 with a pin pointer in a box ready to unpack and wrap (~$100), and I would need to buy a set of headphones (~$40). I see that there will be a Black Friday deal for a Bounty Hunter Sharpshooter SS2 kit with a pin pointer, headphones, carry bag, and trowel for $150. I plan on continuing to scan the Black Friday deals, and am leaving the SS2 in the box for possible return until a final purchase decision is made. I would appreciate any advice on a detector for a twelve-year-old boy who is eager, interested and rambunctious. I would appreciate any thoughts from the members. Thanks in advance.

Old 11-15-2020, 08:09 PM

Personally I have a TK4 and think it would be great for a 12 year old. It's easy to use and cheap but will find stuff. Not that deep but not sure a 12 year old wants to dig 12 inches for a dime. I have found some good stuff with mine.

Old 11-15-2020, 08:33 PM

They cost virtually the same if you add need to get headphones for the TK4. I guess my question is a simple comparison between the two. I have searched the sites and tried to search the forums here, but can't find a good comparison. ~$100for TK4 and pointer and add $40 headphones
~$150 for the SS2 and pointer with headphones, carry bag, and trowel. Is the SS2 better? Would it be harder to use for a twelve year old? Thank you.

Old 11-15-2020, 08:35 PM

I just know the TK4 so that's all that I can comment on....but whatever you choose I agree a pinpointer is a must.

Old 11-15-2020, 08:59 PM
Supporter

Boys mature a lot between 12 and 13. Imo if you want him to keep interested in detecting then the tracker IV 's performance could make him lose interest. The BH SS may be deeper but imo is so slow it wouldn't be any better. Also the included pin pointer is probably worthless.

I would suggest:
Quest x5 for $150,
This pp- for $28
https ://www.amazon.com/shrxy-Detector-Portable-GP-Pointer-Weatherproof/dp/B06Y5LS4WJ
This trowel- $16
https://m.ebay.com/itm/Wilcox-All-Pr...5-23fb538c90a4
and this pouch- $11
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Metal-Detec...Cclp%3A2334524

Old 11-15-2020, 10:51 PM

I have looked at your links and will give it another look tomorrow. I believe the SS2 deal includes both a pouch and a bag/carry case for the detector. I think the pointer would also be the same one for both head hunter models. I believe that it is this one: https://www.amazon.com/Bounty-Hunter.../dp/B000HATWHK The Amazon price is $35

Thanks for your help.

Old 11-16-2020, 07:41 AM
Supporter

Originally Posted by TheOldToddler View post
I ......... this one: https://www.amazon.com/Bounty-Hunter.../dp/B000HATWHK The Amazon price is $35
Thanks for your help.
Yep, that's the POS I figured they were giving away. It is probably the worse pp ever with a detection range of a 1/2"

Old 11-17-2020, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by MuddyMo View post
Yep, that's the POS I figured they were giving away. It is probably the worse pp ever with a detection range of a 1/2"
I agree. IMO the cheapest good pinpointer is the nokta pointer for 84$.

https://www.amazon.com/Nokta-Detecto.../dp/B00UVXAXF8

The chinese copy’s are garbage and your screwed if it breaks...

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-25-2020, 08:18 AM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by TheOldToddler View post
You can read a little about me in my introductory post in the general hobby section from earlier today. My current issue is that I have a friend with an eleven-year-old (almost twelve) boy. She and I believe that a metal detector would be a great Christmas gift for him. I have a few older coins (silver, wheat pennies, etc.) that I plan to “salt” on top of the ground but under the grass this week. We will probably have snow and the ground will be frozen by Christmas, but I hope he will have a ball locating the coins under the snow on Christmas day.
The young man is fairly short, but tough and smart and will grow so I need to get a detector with an adjustable shaft length. She takes the boys to the local parks and freshwater beaches in the area and I would like a detector with a submersible coil and as weather/water tight of a control unit as possible to allow wade hunting at the area beaches and in the swimming shallows.
I have a Bounty Hunter Tracker TK4 with a pin pointer in a box ready to unpack and wrap (~$100), and I would need to buy a set of headphones (~$40). I see that there will be a Black Friday deal for a Bounty Hunter Sharpshooter SS2 kit with a pin pointer, headphones, carry bag, and trowel for $150. I plan on continuing to scan the Black Friday deals, and am leaving the SS2 in the box for possible return until a final purchase decision is made. I would appreciate any advice on a detector for a twelve-year-old boy who is eager, interested and rambunctious. I would appreciate any thoughts from the members. Thanks in advance.
Both of those detectors are heavy especially for someone that young. The SS2 is at 4lbs. 3.7lbs for the Tracker4. No matter hw much he likes detecting, if the detector gets too heavy after a short time, he will put it down.

The links Muddy Mo gave are better choices for someone his age.

Edit: With the X5 you can remove the middle stem to shorten the detector.

Old 11-25-2020, 09:51 AM

I recently passed my Tracker IV onto a coworker for his small son to use. Not sure how old he is, but younger than 11. He has been having a blast with it. Weight should not be an issue on the Tracker, I think they are like 2.7lbs in total. If you decide on the IV, I only have one thing to add, make sure you get headphones with an inline volume control. there is no adjustment on the machine itself and it is pretty much unbearable with no volume control. Good luck!

Edit: Oh, and yes, the included Pin Pointer with the Tracker IV is about useless.

Old 11-25-2020, 11:19 AM

Do both of u a favor and go with carrot pp works so much better and if he looses interest you can get your mony back so easy

Old 11-26-2020, 07:45 AM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by Diabolik View post
I recently passed my Tracker IV onto a coworker for his small son to use. Not sure how old he is, but younger than 11. He has been having a blast with it. Weight should not be an issue on the Tracker, I think they are like 2.7lbs in total. If you decide on the IV, I only have one thing to add, make sure you get headphones with an inline volume control. there is no adjustment on the machine itself and it is pretty much unbearable with no volume control. Good luck!

Edit: Oh, and yes, the included Pin Pointer with the Tracker IV is about useless.

The TrackerIV is 3.7lbs.

Old 11-26-2020, 08:50 AM
Supporter

I believe the shipping weight of the bh trk4 is 3.7lbs but it actually weighs 2lbs 13oz. Still much heavier than the quest X5 at 2lb 2oz or 1lb 14oz without the middle rod.

Tags
sharp shooter 2, tk4 tracker iv