Any ideas

olmanofthepines

Hey everyone,
Well, the grandsons baseball and football is over for now and the weather has cooled off some so I went out digging and found this thing. It's cool but I have no idea what it is. It appears to be pewter. I broke the long part on the bottom getting it out. Maybe a bottle opener? It's about 3 inches top to bottom.
Any ideas?
Thanks!
O

Attachments

• 83F0C232-E9FC-40BB-AF21-B0446B8A1AEC.jpg
    83F0C232-E9FC-40BB-AF21-B0446B8A1AEC.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 487
My first thought was decorative bottle opener. Use to everyone had bottle openers nailed somewhere. I used one a lot when I was a kid at my uncles he alway had the 8 oz returnable coke bottles.

I'd have to concur that it's a bottle opener. From its Art Nouveau style and feathered headdress Indian Princess Lady Liberty motif, one would imagine it dates from about 1890 to 1910. That's a lovely find!

Just looked and crown corks were patented in 1892. Didn't know it was that early. A very good friend of mine owns the property where I found it. I showed him a picture and it didn't ring any bells with him. Anyway, it's one of my most interesting finds so far. Haven't been able to find any pictures even close to it on the net.
Thanks for all the input!
O

Another possible resource...

Just revisiting this thread to point out that no matter how "fringe" or arcane the topic may seem, somewhere out there you're likely to find folks passionate enough about it to have a website, online forum, books or even conventions about it. That appears to be the case with bottle openers, as the aptly-named http://www.just-for-openers.org/ demonstrates. For the last word on this doodad I'd definitely reach out to those folks. If nothing else, you've gotta check out their free 200 page PDF download of photos from their Handbook. The sheer "American Baroque" elegance of the offerings therein might inspire you to never buy a twist-off-capped brew ever again and instead embrace the obsolete, wielding that church key with pride.

Bilgemaster,
Thanks for the link! I guess folks collect all sorts of things. They have an interesting site with lots of resources. I'm going to drop them an email with a picture to see what they say.
Thanks again,
O

Between this topic, and the one with the radiator badges, I agree - what an incredibly informative site. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom