Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Myers Depot Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Metal Detecting > General Hobby Discussion

Notices

Reply
  
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-21-2020, 03:17 PM
Tom_in_CA's Avatar
Tom_in_CA Tom_in_CA is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 13,153
Default LC counts to drop with winter snows

Ok, it's that time of year again. The freezing temp's start. The east coast snow areas start. And I'll bet you dollars to donuts that the LC show & tell posts begin to drop.

Oh sure, they'll chalk it up to "frozen ground". Tsk Tsk. But the truth is , they've got their excuses choreographed. How else do you figure they all timed it ? This is nothing more than the proof of collusion ! The snow and freeze is nothing more than a subterfuge, Tsk tsk. I mean .... c'mon !

Now if you'll excuse me, I have some seateds and gold coins to find (S mints no less)
Reply With Quote


  #2  
Old 11-21-2020, 03:26 PM
diggin4clad's Avatar
diggin4clad diggin4clad is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Eastern Connecticut
Posts: 4,169
Default

Originally Posted by Tom_in_CA View post
Ok, it's that time of year again. The freezing temp's start. The east coast snow areas start. And I'll bet you dollars to donuts that the LC show & tell posts begin to drop.

Oh sure, they'll chalk it up to "frozen ground". Tsk Tsk. But the truth is , they've got their excuses choreographed. How else do you figure they all timed it ? This is nothing more than the proof of collusion ! The snow and freeze is nothing more than a subterfuge, Tsk tsk. I mean .... c'mon !

Now if you'll excuse me, I have some seateds and gold coins to find (S mints no less)
You're on to us Tom........the East coast LC hoax is almost as big as the corona.
I've already been to my local coin dealer's to buy my large coppers for posting in the 2021 hunt season.
"S" mint seateds and gold? No Carson City CC coins? After all, you're right next door to Nevada ! And Denver isn't that far off either !

__________________
Garrett AT MAX - Garrett ATPro - Garrett Ace 400 -White's Digmaster - Garrett Pro Pointer 2 - Garrett Z-Lynk AT ProPointer

Reply With Quote


  #3  
Old 11-21-2020, 03:32 PM
partyofone's Avatar
partyofone partyofone is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Central PA
Posts: 589
Default

These southern west coast guys don’t understand the pain of having a “detecting season.” It’s just jealousy run amuck. If you’re really nice, maybe I’ll send you one of the two I dug today so you can pretend to find it too.
Reply With Quote


  #4  
Old 11-21-2020, 03:32 PM
KOB KOB is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 2,280
Default

Question Tom. In all your years hunting , about how many LC's have you found ?
Reply With Quote


  #5  
Old 11-21-2020, 03:45 PM
Tom_in_CA's Avatar
Tom_in_CA Tom_in_CA is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 13,153
Default

Originally Posted by KOB View post
Question Tom. In all your years hunting , about how many LC's have you found ?
Three. 2 in CA, and the 3rd one found on the east coast. But I'll deny that 3rd one. Ok ? Ssshhhh, that will our little secret, ok ?
Reply With Quote


  #6  
Old 11-21-2020, 04:10 PM
KOB KOB is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 2,280
Default

Originally Posted by Tom_in_CA View post
Three. 2 in CA, and the 3rd one found on the east coast. But I'll deny that 3rd one. Ok ? Ssshhhh, that will our little secret, ok ?
Doesn't seem right. I understand the mintage's , years made , demographics and travel patterns of the westward migration , etc. Just seems like there would be more. Even others who hunt out west don't really post any. But they could be sandbagging for fear of another westward migration !
Reply With Quote


  #7  
Old 11-21-2020, 04:18 PM
Tom_in_CA's Avatar
Tom_in_CA Tom_in_CA is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 13,153
Default

Originally Posted by KOB View post
Doesn't seem right.....!
Yes. Which only points to the collusion and deception. Right ?

But seriously now, if you're ever hunting SUPER early western sites (eg.: pre-statehood 1940s, or gold rush emigrant incoming travel stops), you do indeed find the east coast coins. Since, of course, that's what the eastern guys were bringing with them on the west-ward-ho movement. Right ?

But they are primarily 1840s/50s seateds, and a smattering of bust coins. So where's the frickin' LC's ? My theory is this : That when those east coast guys got ready to cash out all their belongings , and begin a permanent move west, then when it came to consolidating all their wealth for a cross-country travel, then: Cargo space and weight was at a premium. Right ?

So go figure : What's lighter: A bust half ? or 50 LC's ? or a seated quarter ? Or 25 LC's ? Hence I have found many (well ... 15 -ish) bust coins on the west coast. But only 2 LC's here. And found scores of 1830s/40s/50s seateds here, but only 2 LC's.

This is just my theory, and I'm sticking to it !
Reply With Quote


  #8  
Old 11-21-2020, 04:26 PM
KOB KOB is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 2,280
Default

Originally Posted by Tom_in_CA View post
Yes. Which only points to the collusion and deception. Right ?

But seriously now, if you're ever hunting SUPER early western sites (eg.: pre-statehood 1940s, or gold rush emigrant incoming travel stops), you do indeed find the east coast coins. Since, of course, that's what the eastern guys were bringing with them on the west-ward-ho movement. Right ?

But they are primarily 1840s/50s seateds, and a smattering of bust coins. So where's the frickin' LC's ? My theory is this : That when those east coast guys got ready to cash out all their belongings , and begin a permanent move west, then when it came to consolidating all their wealth for a cross-country travel, then: Cargo space and weight was at a premium. Right ?

So go figure : What's lighter: A bust half ? or 50 LC's ? or a seated quarter ? Or 25 LC's ? Hence I have found many (well ... 15 -ish) bust coins on the west coast. But only 2 LC's here. And found scores of 1830s/40s/50s seateds here, but only 2 LC's.

This is just my theory, and I'm sticking to it !
I would agree as in a partial theory. But surely you would think there would be more. Somehow. Maybe the states need a recount 🤣🤣🤣. Eastcoasters are lying on their counts.....
Reply With Quote


1 members found this post helpful.
  #9  
Old 11-21-2020, 05:37 PM
kingman mikey's Avatar
kingman mikey kingman mikey is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Kingman, Arizona Route 66
Posts: 2,429
Default

Originally Posted by Tom_in_CA View post
Ok, it's that time of year again. The freezing temp's start. The east coast snow areas start. And I'll bet you dollars to donuts that the LC show & tell posts begin to drop.



Oh sure, they'll chalk it up to "frozen ground". Tsk Tsk. But the truth is , they've got their excuses choreographed. How else do you figure they all timed it ? This is nothing more than the proof of collusion ! The snow and freeze is nothing more than a subterfuge, Tsk tsk. I mean .... c'mon !



Now if you'll excuse me, I have some seateds and gold coins to find (S mints no less)
Right on Tom, heh heh heh.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

__________________
Fisher f 70,Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche digger,Oldest coins 1900 o 1906 o Barber Dime,1916 s 1917 1919 1926 Mercs ' 42 d Walker,'54 Ben F. 1887 Std. Dime. 1871 Canada dime. Chinese cash coin.

Reply With Quote


  #10  
Old 11-21-2020, 05:56 PM
diggin4clad's Avatar
diggin4clad diggin4clad is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Eastern Connecticut
Posts: 4,169
Default

Originally Posted by Tom_in_CA View post
Three. 2 in CA, and the 3rd one found on the east coast. But I'll deny that 3rd one. Ok ? Ssshhhh, that will our little secret, ok ?
Now wait just a minute here.......When we Easterners dig an "S" mint coin you expect us to ship it back to the West coast. All three of your Large Cents were minted in Philadelphia so how about sending them back east where they belong and also so that we can post pictures of them and say we found them here in a modern schoolyard.

__________________
Garrett AT MAX - Garrett ATPro - Garrett Ace 400 -White's Digmaster - Garrett Pro Pointer 2 - Garrett Z-Lynk AT ProPointer

Reply With Quote


  #11  
Old 11-21-2020, 06:56 PM
partyofone's Avatar
partyofone partyofone is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Central PA
Posts: 589
Default

I forgot to mention that the two I dug today were within a foot of each other.
Reply With Quote


  #12  
Old 11-21-2020, 06:58 PM
Soil Surgeon's Avatar
Soil Surgeon Soil Surgeon is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 2,060
Default

Originally Posted by Tom_in_CA View post
Three. 2 in CA, and the 3rd one found on the east coast. But I'll deny that 3rd one. Ok ? Ssshhhh, that will our little secret, ok ?
My two Large Cents can be classified as "dug up " as I dug up some money out of my pocket to pay for them

Once many years ago at Golden Gate Park , one of those " are you having any luck " guys told me " I know you're going to find it hard to believe this, but I dug up one of those Large Cents here at this park" . I wouldn't find that so hard to believe . I wouldn't be surprised if there were quite a few more there deep in the dirt .


An old neighbor of mine who passed on several years ago found one here in South City at the shoreline .I've tried that area many times and have just found clad and not much of it .

I would wonder how many large Cents one of our local legends " Mike the Machine" has found ? That guy has been detecting since Fred Flintstone was a teenager and as far as I know still is .

I think finding a Large Cent around here in CA is as difficult or more , than finding a Gold coin from the same era .

I know it would really rock my world if I ever found either .
Reply With Quote


  #13  
Old 11-22-2020, 07:06 AM
gardinerdigger gardinerdigger is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 52
Default

The other day I thought for sure I was digging a silver half, it had the right tone and depth. Sure enough another friken large cent...
Reply With Quote


  #14  
Old 11-22-2020, 07:52 AM
amc rulz's Avatar
amc rulz amc rulz is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: southern mich
Posts: 4,929
Default

Originally Posted by gardinerdigger View post
The other day I thought for sure I was digging a silver half, it had the right tone and depth. Sure enough another friken large cent...
Sorry to hear that!

__________________
DFX - Explorer II - Etrac

Reply With Quote


1 members found this post helpful.
  #15  
Old 11-22-2020, 08:15 AM
Tom_in_CA's Avatar
Tom_in_CA Tom_in_CA is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 13,153
Default

Originally Posted by gardinerdigger View post
The other day I thought for sure I was digging a silver half, it had the right tone and depth. Sure enough another friken large cent...
And our hearts just bleed for you. How do handle the indignity ??
Reply With Quote


1 members found this post helpful.
  #16  
Old 11-24-2020, 08:37 PM
SmirkAtTheMerc's Avatar
SmirkAtTheMerc SmirkAtTheMerc is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Virginia
Posts: 258
Default

This is great!

__________________
Two gold rings!

Teknetics T2 SE, Garrett Pro Pointer

Reply With Quote


  #17  
Old 11-24-2020, 10:48 PM
fullbattery fullbattery is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: NC
Posts: 134
Default

Me, personally, I'm glad it's slowing down. A person gets sick of dealing with the things. You bring them home, run 'em through the tumbler, then what? The lady at Bojangles refuses to take them when you buy breakfast biscuits. Coinstar rejects them. Melt value sucks. Buckets of large cents sitting in the garage just taking up space.

__________________
duckduckgo.com - The search engine that doesn't track you


Last edited by fullbattery; 11-24-2020 at 11:31 PM.
Reply With Quote


  #18  
Old 11-24-2020, 11:05 PM
Wom 27's Avatar
Wom 27 Wom 27 is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Media,pa
Posts: 2,200
Default

Busted !!!

__________________
AT PRO, 20 Large cents ,Nova ,, Barber Half, 1833 Hard Times token ,"American Digger",oldest-1719 half penny,1730's one Reale Virginia half penny, couple of two centers
The more I detect, the luckier I get !

Reply With Quote


Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:45 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.