LC counts to drop with winter snows

Tom_in_CA

Elite Member
Ok, it's that time of year again. The freezing temp's start. The east coast snow areas start. And I'll bet you dollars to donuts that the LC show & tell posts begin to drop.

Oh sure, they'll chalk it up to "frozen ground". Tsk Tsk. :roll: But the truth is , they've got their excuses choreographed. How else do you figure they all timed it ? This is nothing more than the proof of collusion ! The snow and freeze is nothing more than a subterfuge, Tsk tsk. I mean .... c'mon !

Now if you'll excuse me, I have some seateds and gold coins to find (S mints no less) :laughing:

Ok, it's that time of year again. The freezing temp's start. The east coast snow areas start. And I'll bet you dollars to donuts that the LC show & tell posts begin to drop.

Oh sure, they'll chalk it up to "frozen ground". Tsk Tsk. :roll: But the truth is , they've got their excuses choreographed. How else do you figure they all timed it ? This is nothing more than the proof of collusion ! The snow and freeze is nothing more than a subterfuge, Tsk tsk. I mean .... c'mon !

Now if you'll excuse me, I have some seateds and gold coins to find (S mints no less) :laughing:

You're on to us Tom........the East coast LC hoax is almost as big as the corona.
I've already been to my local coin dealer's to buy my large coppers for posting in the 2021 hunt season.
"S" mint seateds and gold? No Carson City CC coins? After all, you're right next door to Nevada ! And Denver isn't that far off either !

These southern west coast guys don’t understand the pain of having a “detecting season.” It’s just jealousy run amuck. If you’re really nice, maybe I’ll send you one of the two I dug today so you can pretend to find it too.:sissyfight::sissyfight::sissyfight:

Question Tom. In all your years hunting , about how many LC's have you found ?

Question Tom. In all your years hunting , about how many LC's have you found ?

Three. 2 in CA, and the 3rd one found on the east coast. But I'll deny that 3rd one. Ok ? Ssshhhh, that will our little secret, ok ? :aok:

Three. 2 in CA, and the 3rd one found on the east coast. But I'll deny that 3rd one. Ok ? Ssshhhh, that will our little secret, ok ? :aok:

Doesn't seem right. I understand the mintage's , years made , demographics and travel patterns of the westward migration , etc. Just seems like there would be more. Even others who hunt out west don't really post any. But they could be sandbagging for fear of another westward migration !

Doesn't seem right.....!

Yes. Which only points to the collusion and deception. Right ? :laughing:

But seriously now, if you're ever hunting SUPER early western sites (eg.: pre-statehood 1940s, or gold rush emigrant incoming travel stops), you do indeed find the east coast coins. Since, of course, that's what the eastern guys were bringing with them on the west-ward-ho movement. Right ?

But they are primarily 1840s/50s seateds, and a smattering of bust coins. So where's the frickin' LC's ? My theory is this : That when those east coast guys got ready to cash out all their belongings , and begin a permanent move west, then when it came to consolidating all their wealth for a cross-country travel, then: Cargo space and weight was at a premium. Right ?

So go figure : What's lighter: A bust half ? or 50 LC's ? or a seated quarter ? Or 25 LC's ? Hence I have found many (well ... 15 -ish) bust coins on the west coast. But only 2 LC's here. And found scores of 1830s/40s/50s seateds here, but only 2 LC's.

This is just my theory, and I'm sticking to it ! :laughing:

Yes. Which only points to the collusion and deception. Right ? :laughing:

But seriously now, if you're ever hunting SUPER early western sites (eg.: pre-statehood 1940s, or gold rush emigrant incoming travel stops), you do indeed find the east coast coins. Since, of course, that's what the eastern guys were bringing with them on the west-ward-ho movement. Right ?

But they are primarily 1840s/50s seateds, and a smattering of bust coins. So where's the frickin' LC's ? My theory is this : That when those east coast guys got ready to cash out all their belongings , and begin a permanent move west, then when it came to consolidating all their wealth for a cross-country travel, then: Cargo space and weight was at a premium. Right ?

So go figure : What's lighter: A bust half ? or 50 LC's ? or a seated quarter ? Or 25 LC's ? Hence I have found many (well ... 15 -ish) bust coins on the west coast. But only 2 LC's here. And found scores of 1830s/40s/50s seateds here, but only 2 LC's.

This is just my theory, and I'm sticking to it ! :laughing:

I would agree as in a partial theory. But surely you would think there would be more. Somehow. Maybe the states need a recount 🤣🤣🤣. Eastcoasters are lying on their counts.....

Right on Tom, heh heh heh.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Now wait just a minute here.......When we Easterners dig an "S" mint coin you expect us to ship it back to the West coast. All three of your Large Cents were minted in Philadelphia so how about sending them back east where they belong and also so that we can post pictures of them and say we found them here in a modern schoolyard.

My two Large Cents can be classified as "dug up " as I dug up some money out of my pocket to pay for them :yes:

Once many years ago at Golden Gate Park , one of those " are you having any luck " guys told me " I know you're going to find it hard to believe this, but I dug up one of those Large Cents here at this park" . I wouldn't find that so hard to believe . I wouldn't be surprised if there were quite a few more there deep in the dirt .

An old neighbor of mine who passed on several years ago found one here in South City at the shoreline .I've tried that area many times and have just found clad and not much of it .

I would wonder how many large Cents one of our local legends " Mike the Machine" has found ? That guy has been detecting since Fred Flintstone was a teenager and as far as I know still is .

I think finding a Large Cent around here in CA is as difficult or more , than finding a Gold coin from the same era .

I know it would really rock my world if I ever found either .

The other day I thought for sure I was digging a silver half, it had the right tone and depth. Sure enough another friken large cent...

Me, personally, I'm glad it's slowing down. A person gets sick of dealing with the things. You bring them home, run 'em through the tumbler, then what? The lady at Bojangles refuses to take them when you buy breakfast biscuits. Coinstar rejects them. Melt value sucks. Buckets of large cents sitting in the garage just taking up space.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom