Old Spoon Found at 1908 Property - Is it Silver?

Wolf-Dog

Elite Member
Sunday evening my family and I were at a friend's house that was built in 1908. Although I have detected here once in the past, I asked if I could detect around a little while. :mder:

I found this in an area I detected before, but not since I got my new detector. With it was 2 nails, and I'm very glad to have dug the signal. It was showing up as a dime, but I found the 2 nails first.

The only markings are "U.S SILVER, CO." and I have tried finding info on it, but I can't find any. My main question: is it silver? :?: I don't think it is solid .925 because I can see a copper core where I unbent it. Yet, even if it's plated, it would be my first silver find! All thoughts and research appreciated. :D

Thanks for looking, happy hunting, & God bless. :D

U.S. SILVER CO. Spoon (Front - Resized).jpg

U.S. SILVER CO. Spoon (Back - Resized).jpg

U.S. SILVER CO. Spoon (Close-up of Makers Mark - Resized).jpg

Last edited:
Nice old spoon Garrett, I would go back to that site and see if you can find some coins or jewelry from the same time frame. You certainly look to be on a site that has some age. I received your Easter card, thank you so much! I will be sending something back here shortly, life has been plenty busy lately! Congrats and look forward to seeing what else comes from that site!

I have found a couple of silver spoons. They are all marked sterling. I found my first one in a school playground. I thought it was something they had taken from the cafeteria until I got home and took a better look at it.

I posted a thread in Coinshooters and Relic Hunters: My First Silver... But it's Plated

Silver plated brass, unfortunately..

Still a cool old spoon..

<°)))>{
Thanks for the help, Ice Scratcher! :D

Nice old spoon Garrett, I would go back to that site and see if you can find some coins or jewelry from the same time frame. You certainly look to be on a site that has some age. I received your Easter card, thank you so much! I will be sending something back here shortly, life has been plenty busy lately! Congrats and look forward to seeing what else comes from that site!
Since the owner of the house is our chiropractor, and my sister & brother were in an accident last month, I may be going back this weekend to his home office, and possibly the next couple weekends as well. :woot: Glad you liked the card, I wasn't expecting anything in return, but I'll be looking forward to when it comes. :grin: Thank you for your reply. :yes:

Yeah, it looks silver plated. I've dug several spoons, forks, knives, but have not found a silver one yet. Hope you get to dig the real deal one day.
Thanks, Blaise! :D Same to you as well.:mder:

I have found a couple of silver spoons. They are all marked sterling. I found my first one in a school playground. I thought it was something they had taken from the cafeteria until I got home and took a better look at it.
Thanks for the reply, Richard! :grin: That sounds really neat!

Last edited:
Update

Since the owner of the house is our chiropractor, and my sister & brother were in an accident last month, I may be going back this weekend to his home office, and possibly the next couple weekends as well. :detector:

See my main thread in Coinshooters and Relic Hunters for more information: My First Silver... But it's Plated. :D

Back
Top Bottom