Garrett GTI 2500 (new to me)

madmanx

My wife and I have really just started in the hobby. I bought her a White's TreasurePro for Christmas (2018) and we started hunting. 4 months later, and tired of being her tool Sherpa I found a used (about an hour or so based on the condition) Garrett GTI 2500. The guy I bought it from said he's had it about 7-8 years.

My question to the experts here, since this is at least an 8 year old machine (does have the talk button), have there been any firmware or software upgrades done to this model that I should complete? I'm aware that Garrett still sells this model but I don't know if the "brains" have undergone updates/upgrades over the years.

Thanks
Bud

I think they do have an upgrade, I had one and sent it in last year to be upgraded and repaired. Mine came back with no talk feature after the upgrade. I don't know if that is standard or not, they did warn me that it would be without the talk feature after the upgrade. I didn't really like it anyway.

I will say being their best detector it is a bit behind the times, it was a pretty good machine back in the day. I sold mine right after I did the upgrade.

I think they do have an upgrade, I had one and sent it in last year to be upgraded and repaired. Mine came back with no talk feature after the upgrade. I don't know if that is standard or not, they did warn me that it would be without the talk feature after the upgrade. I didn't really like it anyway.

I will say being their best detector it is a bit behind the times, it was a pretty good machine back in the day. I sold mine right after I did the upgrade.

Its not their best, well maybe in 1990!:laughing:
Garretts best is the At pro At Max.:yes:
I dont know why they still build that thing.:?:

Last edited:
Its not their best, well maybe in 1990!:laughing:
Garretts best is the At pro At Max.:yes:
I dont know why they still build that thing.:?:

I guess I worded that wrong because I agree it certainly isn't there best metal detector. Most expensive of the VLF hobby detector lineup. It does have some cool features but the AT series easy out does in most respects.

The upgrade to the 2500 was the AT PRO.
The AT MAX is a downgrade from the AT PRO way to noisy.

I was a fan of the 2500 for a long time and it was somewhat good to me then along came the Minelab Sovereign and out the door went the 2500 and never was missed. Next came the AT pro and it did great but again Minelab and the Nox family came along. The Max just does not measure up unless you compare it to say something like the Ace 400 so it was not a consideration. In all that time I was not aware of any user type of upgrades for the 2500 like we have on current models. Use it as is and when you finish your research, then up grade to your new choice. good luck.

They did have an upgrade, mmmm........say about 18 years ago. They had a new chip design. It allowed the detector to get much better depth in higher mineralized soil. At that time, it cost those who wanted the upgrade, $100.00 including shipping.

The talking feature was discontinued a few years later. Mine has the talking feature and the new chip.

The true all metal mode, when ground balanced, was very deep, even with today's standards. It still gave a VDI number to help with ID, but was only one single tone.

Those who learned to use the imaging feature properly, swore by it, especially coin and jeweler users. It allows the user to keep all targets too big/too small in the ground with a simple peek at the fairly large screen, thus saving time concentrating on coin sized targets only.

I still take mine out on occasion. It's so much fun to use, although I can only use the talking feature for a short while. Even with the next line up of Garretts coming out, lots of people are still requesting the image feature to be included.

Currently, it is the only metal detector available to use the Garrett two-box system, which is used to dig lager the coin targets in feet, not inches.

My favorite combo was using the small sniper coil in true all metal mode hunting for relics in the woods.

Attachments

• TOKEN2-2.jpg
    TOKEN2-2.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 288
Back
Top Bottom