Civil War (type) bullets from central-eastern Alabama

Spike 7.62

This is not a recent find, but I've started putting pictures up recently. I came upon these in Feb of 2011 while visiting my father. The location is within city limits of Alexander City, AL.. if you know Alex City, you'll know the term "city" is taken very loosely. If you are familiar with the town, I was before the boat ramp by Scott Rd by the RR tracks.

IMG_0795.jpg

IMG_0796.jpg

IMG_0797.jpg

IMG_0798.jpg

IMG_0799.jpg

I know of no battle in this exact area, but undocumented battles and skirmishes occurred throughout the countryside, or it's possible this could have been a training area. I have no idea what kind of training Confederate soldiers underwent, it's just a hypothesis. This is about 2 - 2.5 hours from Atlanta, and we all know what happened there, so perhaps these bullets were fired as part of that campaign. We will never really know.

Curiously, one is totally flattened. Two others are severely deformed, and two look pretty good. Because they are minie balls and not round balls I tend to believe they were fired by military men instead of hunters. One bullet is of a totally different design than the rest. I'm familiar with modern munitions (current US military) but I'm not too familiar with Civil War stuff.

Didn't find anything but bullets, and I was walking in a straight line parallel to RR tracks, from the 1st bullet to the last may have been a half mile. Part of me wanted to wander in circles, but I wanted to move down the tracks. The next time I go down there I will be returning to the area.

1 is Confederate

One of the bullets is a Confederate Pritchett ball, made in Enfield. It's the smooth-sided, hollow base. They go for around $10, compared to $1 for regular minies. I think you're on a small skirmish site. Otherwise they would all be drops.

Awesome find,My wife grew up in that area,and also above Horseshoe Bend in NewSite.

I love coming across CW lead. Some of the old-timers around here are so spoiled on finding rounds but I enjoy each and every one!

Comgrat's on your finds!

Rousseau's Raid

Rousseau's Raid

Along Stow Ferry Road on July 16, 1864, a column of five federal cavalry regiments led by Major General Lovell H. Rousseau passed on their way to destroy the railroad at Opelika. Captain Thomas A. Elkin of the 5th Kentucky Cavalry in the lead detachment rode into Youngsville about 6:00 P.M. on the 16th. The Yankees scavenged and burned four tax-in-kind warehouses containing grain, cornmeal, and bacon.
Crossing the Tallapoosa River in the darkness on the 16th, Col. William D. Hamilton of the 9th Ohio recalled: "Ever after we referred to the crossing of that river in the night with shudders. . . unpleasant as that of any battle."

This is same area or close to your findings

Back
Top Bottom