Advice on grading

Chuckciao

Found this 1853 SL half dime a few months back and would like some opinions about professional cleaning and grading? First of all, is it worth it? If I decide to do it, how do I get started? Any other tips would be appreciated.
Thanks
Chuck

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 142
Well, if the coin has sentimental value to you it's definitely worth grading it! You don't have to send it in only to increase the price tag. I don't know about professional cleaning... yours looks amazing as is. You can easily print a submission form to which ever company you like. The top-rated companies are PCGS, NGC, and ANACS (my favorite) xD

If you send it off, hope you get good results!

The ONLY coins I would ever attempt to clean would be either ancient coins, where I've never seen an example with mint luster, coins with some sort of harmful corrosion (bronze disease), or coins that are too encrusted to identify. The coin in your picture should NOT be cleaned, as I can only see that detracting from the value.

-- Tom

its not worth the money unless sentimental to have it cleaned or graded in my opinion, and professional cleaning does not hurt the value as it still retains its ordinal luster and tarnishing mostly.

Would need better pictures to really tell. As mentioned, do not clean the coin, it hurts the value. I would take it a reputable dealer and have him/her look at it and give you an opinion. From the picture it seems there may be a haze on it indicative of being over dipped. Therefore sending it in to be graded wouldn't be worth it in my opinion as I think it would come back "cleaned" and not with a grade. But again, better pictures of both sides without the shadows and better lighting would be needed.

Getting good pictures of coins can be tough, trust me! :lol:

Thanks to all for your interesting and informative posts. After looking at some coin values for my specific coin, I decided not to get it cleaned and graded and will just enjoy it as one of my best finds.
Thanks and Happy Hunting
Chuck

Back
Top Bottom