1724, not quite sure if it is real....

rem

In memory of
But I dug up what appears to be a 1720's or 1730's holed Netherlands Stad Utrecht. Dug up here in central Texas about 5 inches down. I thought it was a religious medallion and swiftly put it in the finds pouch. After detecting, I pulled it back out and noticed a date on the bottom and found it to be an old coin. Anyone ever found one of these or can tell if it is the real deal?

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Very cool find, amigo. If real, you definitely hold the record. Congratulations.

Wow very cool, and I would bet on it being real as well. Judging by the hole someone may have been wearing it as a pendant, which would explain how it may have gotten lost. Just goes to show you never know what that next signal may be.. true treasure hunting!

I wouldnt necessarily say that it was worn as a pendant but actually to be kept on a string so it wouldn't get lost as easily. My bet is its real. Congrats!

Wow! Thank for all your prompt replies! The consensus says that it is real. This does make my oldest coin found to date.

Looks real to me...
Now that's an old coin for our part of the country..
Congrats...........................

These things are always where they are for a reason. I think it's fair to say that no one except a Netherlander settler would have any sentimental attachment to a coin from there, certainly not enough to wear it as a necklace. It's also possible that as silver, it was drilled to be sewn into clothing for security while travelling. Hard to tell, but here is a tidbit about Netherlanders in Texas. http://www.utexas.edu/gtc/assets/pdfs/GTC_dutchtexans.pdf

Looks legit to me...congrats on a very cool silver!

I am still not 100% sure that it is silver. All the sites I have seen tell me that it is copper. I do think that there may be silver in the coin.

I too question if it is silver, and the first pic really sort of screams (or at least says loudly) it is not. But it could be a period counterfeit which is every bit as interesting.

Really nice find !!!! I don't think that I have seen a coin that old come out of the ground around here. Great Job !!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom