Electrolysis question?

kelpike

Elite Member
I have tried 4 different battery chargers for my power supply, seems like the first three had sensors telling them not to supply power because they are not hooked to a battery. The fourth is used to charge a small marine depth finder battery. I hooked copper wires to that and then to the items in the bucket of solution. It seems like all the bubbling is only coming from the copper wire on the item I'm trying electrolysis on. Is this normal? Shouldn't there be bubbling from the item itself?

I had an issue with my charger not producing power unless hooked to a battery also. I connected it to a battery and ran jumper wires from the battery to the electrolysis setup.

I was about to try that until I remembered I had this other charger. I'm nervous about it only bubbling at the wire.
I had an issue with my charger not producing power unless hooked to a battery also. I connected it to a battery and ran jumper wires from the battery to the electrolysis setup.

Hey, Mr. lelpike, I've got several old style adapters/chargers that probably don't have the safety feature that you mentioned (needing to be hooked to a battery). If you're interested, send me a PM and I can send you a couple to try. Curt

I'm slightly surprised at what seems to be everyone's real simple success rates on these electrolysis setups... The first two transformers/chargers I used burned out/quit working in less than a minute.. The third one from a cell phone seems to be holding up.. But I only use it on black lake silver for the most part and usually for about 30 seconds or so...

If yours is only bubbling from the wire attached to your "work piece" it probably isn't conducting into the piece.. Try filing/sanding away a little bit where your wire is attached to help make a better contact...

<*)))>{

The sacrificial piece will bubble more. It should be hooked to the positive side. You power pack is a little high on the output voltage. Get a cell phone one with less the 10V output. The lower the better. Also your water solution should be 2 parts baking soda to 1 part sea salt. NO iodine salt!

You may have to take a file or something and file a small spot on your object so your alligator clip has a good connection.

Also, if you're power supply is burning out or even getting hot, you have too much baking soda. It doesn't take very much.
If you have too much baking soda, it makes the water too conductive and it's like a dead short to your power supply.

Back
Top Bottom