• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Question about sand scoops

rustyshovel

Im about to pull the trigger on a new sand scoop and I think Im leaning toward a RTG 6" Pro with the wire bottom. My question/concern is the 5/8" holes versus a scoop with 1/2" holes. I would think theres a risk of loosing finds through the 5/8 holes, like dimes, small rings or am I being too cautious.

The smaller the holes, the better. Especially for
For old silvers like the trime or silver reales, quartered reales, etc.
Yes, I have had many targets slip through, even with the 5\8 openings.
It helps to dump each basket into one pile, then scan each time just to be sure.

Are you going in the water, or just on dry land ? Because the wire mesh bottoms are not strong enough to push with your foot to dig.

Also I guess if your on land, the square mesh is OK as you won't loose a small target anyway. If you are intending on using it "IN" the water then def. get the more solid scoop. If I only had to have one I'd go with the solid one anyway, more versatile, much stronger too.

Are you going in the water, or just on dry land ? Because the wire mesh bottoms are not strong enough to push with your foot to dig.

Also I guess if your on land, the square mesh is OK as you won't loose a small target anyway. If you are intending on using it "IN" the water then def. get the more solid scoop. If I only had to have one I'd go with the solid one anyway, more versatile, much stronger too.

Ill be doing both. This RTG model has a thick bar covering the back so you can use it for a kick plate and not step on the mesh itself.

I will be ordering my Stealth tomorrow. It seems to be what Im looking for.

I was between the T-Rex and the Stealth....The Stealth is more expensive but I'm really happy that its what I went with.

You wont regret it!

I went with the advice I found here and stepped up to a stealth as my first scoop.

So far I have been very impressed. I used it in a rocky swimming hole area and actually used it to dig a few deeper targets and it barely has a scratch on it and no bending at all. If it will do that it will tear up the beach next month when I head down for a vacation.

I learned years ago to buy quality once ... Or ... Buy cheap many times.

As I get older I learn that lesson over again occasionally. ;)

I went with the advice I found here and stepped up to a stealth as my first scoop.

So far I have been very impressed. I used it in a rocky swimming hole area and actually used it to dig a few deeper targets and it barely has a scratch on it and no bending at all. If it will do that it will tear up the beach next month when I head down for a vacation.

I learned years ago to buy quality once ... Or ... Buy cheap many times.

As I get older I learn that lesson over again occasionally. ;)

It's ok. As I get older I find myself getting cheaper at times and sometimes I pay for it down the road and wonder what the heck I was thinking.

Well, I ordered it! I ended up buying a 720i hybrid with a rugged toe kick package. I'll have to be on my best behavior for the next couple months lol.

Well, I ordered it! I ended up buying a 720i hybrid with a rugged toe kick package. I'll have to be on my best behavior for the next couple months lol.

Or at least for the first few rings until it's paid for :cool:

That's the scoop I have. You will love it. Definitely the last scoop I'll ever buy

Back
Top Bottom