Found and old Jetco in the closet need manual.

Wow that's a lot more sophisticated than my first Jetco (Mustang). Mine had one knob - and no meter - I think i was about 12, 1973.

Mine was a Mustang, too.

Funny thing was that all the Jetco machines (must have been maybe 5 of them?), so far as I know, used the same BFO circuitry.

Each added control jumped the price about twenty bucks, but did nothing to increase the depth.

They all had the same depth, you were just paying more for auxiliary controls that made no difference where it really mattered.

Mine was a Mustang, too.

Funny thing was that all the Jetco machines (must have been maybe 5 of them?), so far as I know, used the same BFO circuitry.

Each added control jumped the price about twenty bucks, but did nothing to increase the depth.

They all had the same depth, you were just paying more for auxiliary controls that made no difference where it really mattered.

Yeah that was Jetco....... the more money you paid the more knobs you got. Depth stayed the same. Kinda like machines now a days........ :D

Okay, here we go:

1. The POWER SWITCH just turns the machine on and off. Turn it on.

2. The RANGE control gives you more depth the higher you set it. Start at 5.

3. The VOLUME control turns your volume up and down (duh).

4. The BATTERY CHECK lets you check the power of each battery. It's hard to tell, but it looks like you want a 38 to 45 reading on your meter when you check each battery.

5. The TUNER adjusts the frequency of the beat-frequency oscillator. The higher you set it, the faster and higher-tone signal you'll get.

Now, turn everything on and set the TUNER so you get a motorboat putt-putt sound. Drop a coin on the ground and swing the coil over it fairly slowly. The putt-putt should get faster and higher in pitch as it passes over the coin.

Experiment with the TUNER setting to find the position where it is easiest for you to hear the difference in the frequency when you pass over a coin.

Having said all that, I also must say that Jetco machines were horrible detectors. They have a depth of maybe two inches on a coin. if that. Other inexpensive modern detectors can go 4 inches in most situations, and deeper than that when conditions are right (no mineralization in the ground, and after a rain when the ground is wet).

The BFO technology used in this machine is obsolete. You're driving a horse and buggy down the interstate when you use this, and you'll miss most of the good targets. Best to hang it on the wall as a display, and get a modern machine.

Hope this helps!

Thank you.
i know its old but as of right now im a student getting in to the hobby and no matter how you look at it an old machine is better than no machine. I plan to upgrade in the near future at that point this will go in storage till some other family member wants it.

That Jetco looks a lot like the old White's detectors. I never knew they made one that nice.

Great post ! It brings back memories of my childhood.
I had a Jetco Mustang.
I found my very first coin with it after many hours of hunting just garbage.
You will never forget finding your first coin.
It was a 1901 Barber quarter and I was about 8 years old at that time.
The Jetco was a total POS but I was too young to know that at the time and a very young and determined child. :laughing:
As I got a few years older I also developed interest in another hobby and metal detecting kind off went to the side.
It was females.
My God, if I only had the money I spent over the years on my female hobby, I wouldn't be out with a detector looking for some money !
I just should have stuck with the Jetco Mustang POS and I'd have lots of money!
Just goes to show, that you should learn your machine well and if I stuck with that Jetco Mustang, POS I would have lots of money today !
Females are not wise investments and I should have invested in better metal detectors.

Great post ! It brings back memories of my childhood.
I had a Jetco Mustang.
I found my very first coin with it after many hours of hunting just garbage.
You will never forget finding your first coin.
It was a 1901 Barber quarter and I was about 8 years old at that time.

My first was a Mustang, too, and I found a gold high school ring with it in the first five minutes I used it!

That ring was about a half-inch under the surface. Deeper than that and the Mustang would never have found it.

My first was a Mustang, too, and I found a gold high school ring with it in the first five minutes I used it!

That ring was about a half-inch under the surface. Deeper than that and the Mustang would never have found it.
Yep, total junk. I found that Barber quarter after a heavy rain storm in an area the rain had washed out dirt on into a culvert.

Wow that's a lot more sophisticated than my first Jetco (Mustang). Mine had one knob - and no meter - I think i was about 12, 1973.

Like this? I still have mine for some reason. :?:

Attachments

• SS850628.jpg
    SS850628.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 781
  • SS850631.jpg
    SS850631.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 659
Glasshopper, mine had a blue box and a blue coil with a hole in the middle. I think mine was an earlier version than yours.

I added a volume control and headphone jack to my Mustang - I was quite proud of my handiwork!

Back
Top Bottom