Found and old Jetco in the closet need manual.

caguy

It looks like it takes a 9v battery. Does it need another battery? Does anyone have a copy of the manual they can send me?

It looks like it just takes a 9v. There are several adjustments one has a scale of 0-10 with 1/10th marks on it. What is that adjustment and what is a good setting? I cannot hear the speaker, is there a way to trouble shoot that?

There were several Jetco models, ranging in price from $39.95 to $79.95. As the price went up you got more knobs, but not better performance.

The depth of the Jetco was absolutely horrible. Coins at an inch, maybe two under optimal conditions.

And it was a BFO machine, meaning it putt-putted like a motorboat, with the putts speeding up when it was over metal. Very hard to hear the difference sometimes, and absolutely no discrimination.

Bottom line: Hang it on the wall in your Metal Detector Museum. It's a great conversation piece, but worthless as a metal detector.

The depth of the Jetco was absolutely horrible. Coins at an inch, maybe two under optimal conditions.
I read somewhere that a Jetco was great for finding your car in your driveway...as long as the fog didn't roll in.:lol::lol::lol:

Last edited:
The funny thing is, the $39.95 Jetco was my first detector (1974), and the second thing I ever found with it (at a half-inch depth) was a gold high school class ring! (My first find was a penny at the same depth).

I probably would have missed that ring with a better machine, because I usually discriminate out pulltabs.

Oops!

Dad has a White but needs batteries, any help?

Thanks you guys I had a feeling it was worthless. It was hard to imagine howanything with a 9 v battery could be that effective. My dad says that he has a better one, he believes is a white. He is having trouble finding batteries for it. Any ideas.

Thanks you guys I had a feeling it was worthless. It was hard to imagine howanything with a 9 v battery could be that effective.

Actually, the Fisher 1210X and 1212X use just one 12-volt battery, and they are both excellent machines.

My dad says that he has a better one, he believes is a white. He is having trouble finding batteries for it. Any ideas.

What batteries does it take? My oldest White's (a Goldmaster II) used 14 AAs! Six in one pack, eight in another.

What batteries does it take? My oldest White's (a Goldmaster II) used 14 AAs! Six in one pack, eight in another.
Is there a special holder for packing the batteries or do you just tape and solder?

I've got a couple of old Garrett BFO models.:yes: It's fun to take them out and swing them around every now and again, just for nostalgia.:spin: They are best used just as conversation pieces, though.:roll:Oh yeah, and they can scare the heck out of the cats with the sounds that they make:lol: Happy Hunting!

First Detector

My first detector was an old Jetco. I didn't find much but it was fun to play with. My second was a Fisher 555 that I bought at a Pawn Shop. I took it to the Dealer in Tulsa and had it checked out. They even converted it to a hip mount. (Those old ones were heavy.) They even gave me instructions on using it. It was a good detector.

I have a jetco bfo 1000 owners manual

It looks like it takes a 9v battery. Does it need another battery? Does anyone have a copy of the manual they can send me?

Hi I have recently aquired a jetco owners manual bfo 1000 can send you a copy if you wish.marilyn

DSCN16189.jpg
post a photo of the control panel and i'll walk you through each knob.

Okay, here we go:

1. The POWER SWITCH just turns the machine on and off. Turn it on.

2. The RANGE control gives you more depth the higher you set it. Start at 5.

3. The VOLUME control turns your volume up and down (duh).

4. The BATTERY CHECK lets you check the power of each battery. It's hard to tell, but it looks like you want a 38 to 45 reading on your meter when you check each battery.

5. The TUNER adjusts the frequency of the beat-frequency oscillator. The higher you set it, the faster and higher-tone signal you'll get.

Now, turn everything on and set the TUNER so you get a motorboat putt-putt sound. Drop a coin on the ground and swing the coil over it fairly slowly. The putt-putt should get faster and higher in pitch as it passes over the coin.

Experiment with the TUNER setting to find the position where it is easiest for you to hear the difference in the frequency when you pass over a coin.

Having said all that, I also must say that Jetco machines were horrible detectors. They have a depth of maybe two inches on a coin. if that. Other inexpensive modern detectors can go 4 inches in most situations, and deeper than that when conditions are right (no mineralization in the ground, and after a rain when the ground is wet).

The BFO technology used in this machine is obsolete. You're driving a horse and buggy down the interstate when you use this, and you'll miss most of the good targets. Best to hang it on the wall as a display, and get a modern machine.

Hope this helps!

Wow that's a lot more sophisticated than my first Jetco (Mustang). Mine had one knob - and no meter - I think i was about 12, 1973.

Back
Top Bottom