My son wants a detector of his own.

Brandigr2

I'm having a hard time deciding if I should upgrade my F5 to an AT Pro or Makro Racer and give my 11 year old son my F5 or just buy him an affordable F2 or something in that price range. He will be happy with anything. I don't need a waterproof machine really since I'm not detecting beaches. I really like the F5 but I would like it to have better iron discrimination and go deeper. Would the Racer or AT Pro be a noticeable upgrade for me? If so, which one?

I'm having a hard time deciding if I should upgrade my F5 to an AT Pro or Makro Racer and give my 11 year old son my F5 or just buy him an affordable F2 or something in that price range. He will be happy with anything. I don't need a waterproof machine really since I'm not detecting beaches. I really like the F5 but I would like it to have better iron discrimination and go deeper. Would the Racer or AT Pro be a noticeable upgrade for me? If so, which one?

I really dont know much about the racer but I do have an AT pro. I dont have experience with the F5 but from what I have read its a decent detector with average abilities for something in the mid range category. The AT pro has very fast retune/recovery speed and is usually pretty accurate at identifying targets up to 6 or 7 inches , sometimes more depending on the soil. But except for being waterproof I would have to say it too is fairly average for a mid range detector. A lot about the ATP is just average , not bad but "great" either. My hunch , from what Ive read about the F5 is the depth is probably about equal with the ATP , and the discrimination of the F5 is probably a little better than the ATP , or atleast close to being equal. The ATP discrimination is something I wish was better , I dont always use it but when I do I would like a more quiet machine and the ATP is noisy. At the maximum disc setting ( 40 ) I still hear way too much iron....the machine identifies it by sound but sometimes when coinhunting I would like to hear less. Like I said , I cant comment on the racer , but the F5 you already have is probably close enough in many of its abilities to the ATP ( except waterproof ) that it might not be much of an upgrade necessarily. Each of those two machines likely can do something better than the other but are probably fairly equal in many ways.

I really like my ATP, but I sure am curious about the Racer. I do some water detecting so I plan on keeping my ATP. I am going to watch closely what users say about the Racer for the next 6 months or so and see if it is all hype or if it is as good as it sounds. If the opinions continue to be positive, I will probably try one for dirt hunting next season. I am not interested in forking over my money until a lot more folks put them through their paces and report on their experience.
:my2cents:

I own 2 ATPs and an xTerra 705 and I suggest you consider it too. I consider the two as about equal. The 705 is lighter and backlit and probably goes a bit deeper than the ATP. The ATP pinpoints better and is waterproof. The 705 has more options including a BEACH mode but is harder to learn.

The racer reportedly on you tube goes really deep and Ids targets great,In comparisons it looks a bit better than a etrac, as good or better than a deus!
All for $650.! (I sound like Im selling it):lol:
I do want one!
Also it sounds just like a Fisher F70/75 etc.

Keep the F5 and get him an F2 (or a eurotek Pro). F5 is a great machine and gets as good of depth as the AT Pro if you know what you are listening for. The F2 is simpler, light and I think will allow him to enjoy the hobby more.

Thanks everyone. I appreciate your thoughts. It sounds like the AT Pro wouldn't be that much of an upgrade and I just can't justify spending over 1,000 on a new detector right now to get a good upgrade. Of course the Makro Racer is very tempting. I really do enjoy the F5 though. It sounds like I'll be getting the kiddo an F2 with the DDcoil. Those new F22 and F44 seem cool with their weatherproofing an all but my husband and I can't detect in the rain so he's not going to need to.

If you get a Garrett AT Pro YES! Best machine out for the $! Not so much over your F5 though. Its a great machine.

Holler with any questions!

Thanks everyone. I appreciate your thoughts. It sounds like the AT Pro wouldn't be that much of an upgrade and I just can't justify spending over 1,000 on a new detector right now to get a good upgrade. Of course the Makro Racer is very tempting. I really do enjoy the F5 though. It sounds like I'll be getting the kiddo an F2 with the DDcoil. Those new F22 and F44 seem cool with their weatherproofing an all but my husband and I can't detect in the rain so he's not going to need to.

There will come a day when you think... I should have bought my son something water proof, I could borrow that for today.

AT-Pro

Brandig

The Garrett AT-Pro is the way to go great depth , if you ever decide to hunt ponds and lakes your covered and donot need to buy a water machine
call me if you have any questions
dennis

My Garrett AT Pro has the most accurate ID at depth of any detector I've owned. I got a 7" deep clad dime at a heavily detected 1974 park. Every time I passed the coil over it, I got a number from 80-85 which are the dime numbers. It just couldn't get it wrong! This was in moderately mineralized soil that was so dry I could hardly get to it.

My settings were STD mode, sens 7 of 8, coins program, iron disc 40, & manually ground balanced, with iron audio off, using stock coil. Also got very tilted quarter, & nickel close to iron. Nickel IDed 52-53 as it should, despite 5 pieces of iron near it. In STD mode, deep coins are about as loud as those on the surface, hard to miss. In air, a dime at 10" is high tone always in STD vs high & medium tones with PRO mode.

On You Tube there is a man w/AT Pro, doing planted coin test with 10.5" quarter. He used STD mode, with GB several #s below actual, seemed to help. The 10.5 quarter sounded off loud on every pass, with a high tone

The detector did pick up a few pieces of trash, but they were nearly all small round items that would be expected to have conductivity like coins, such as a button.

I say the best feature of the AT Pro is the accurate visual ID & the worst feature is the visual ID being too small. I'm half blind in my best eye, but even people claiming normal vision have complained.

I'm thinking about the Makro Racer. One thing I need to investigate is multiple people have said too many (different) things ID as 82. Need to research what all IDs like that.
Other that that, good depth, especially in 2 tone mode.

The AT Pro, copper memorials ID upper 70s-low 80s, dimes 80-85. As you sweep left to right & right to left, a zinc IDs with high tone 1 way & medium tone on return sweep.
Best wishes, George (MN)

my suggestion would be the Euro Tech Pro you can shorten the shaft for shorter people

Likewise it's a deep machine

Last edited:
Keep the F5 and get him an F2 (or a eurotek Pro). F5 is a great machine and gets as good of depth as the AT Pro if you know what you are listening for. The F2 is simpler, light and I think will allow him to enjoy the hobby more.

Same here. The f5 would probably be to complex for him. F2 or the Eurotek are good starter.

I have a Deus, at pro, vaquero and two compadres. The compadres for kids are great cause they have one knob, not to complicated and the damn machine seems to find treasure all the time. My kids use the compadres when we go out and they find all kinds of coins and jewelry. They crank the disc knob all the way up and pretty much find nothing but coins and good items. It can not be beat for the price. 160 bucks and a lifetime warranty that is paid off in no time with the amount of clad this machine finds. Not a better tot lot machine made.

Need help

If your still looking for a great detector and you have any questions call me
dennis

My opinion

If you want to upgrade , and get your son a detector, I suggest get him a F2 or Euro Teck pro, get yourself a F75ltd2 and keep your F5 for a back up , or for a upgrade for your son when he is ready , 2 purposes by holding on to it, happy hunting Earl

My personal opinion is get a Racer. Very simple to operate even for a child. Small coil and even the mid sized coil around 5x10" might suit a child a little more. Used Racers can be bought reasonable. It is a nice machine. Screen is easy to see and layout is nice and simple. It's your dime though and your decision. But the Racer with small coil is dangerous around iron in the old home sites.

Back
Top Bottom