• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

No Silver anywhere?

Brendanhusk

Ok, so i know im "new" to this detecting stuff, but why havent i found silver? i went to a tot lot to start, just clad, then to an older forest area, not much there. then to P.A. at an 1800's house, nothing but clad... then to an old 50's baseball park, nothing but clad and popcans galore.... then again to the farmhouse, and the land behind it... not silver! i hate to get frustrated this early, but it is REALLY discouraging :no: i just used up alot of my time this weekend and found nothing... i think i will check an old run down school later this week, but i just want to pull some silver out of the ground, i need some silver satisfication... any tips for silver? ive tried "cherry picking" on my F2 for only zinc, dimes, and quarters and dug every solid signal and got nothing.. :?:

Heh....I hate to tell you this Brendon but I've been at this for over 10yrs now and I've never found any silver...in fact the oldest coin I've ever found is a wheat penny..hoping to change that this year with my new at pro...anyways what I'm trying to tell you is that for me any its not what you find but the hunt....good luck...:D

Location is the key. Find the oldest part of your town. The oldest looking houses. Knock and ask permission. Location..............

I agree with gsmith. We all hope for silver, but the reality is most people who detect never find silver. I am very happy with the clad and I cash it in and go to the coin shop and buy the silver coins. Better to have the coins that increase in value than jugs full of clad that will never be worth more than face value.

I hope you find silver, but once you see what most people here find, you will begin to realize it does not happen often.

This is easier said than done, but try turning that frustration into patience. When I first started hunting, I was very pleased just pulling clad out of the ground. Free money...right?...I started watching youtube vids of folks pulling all kinds of silver. You know, many of those vids are extremely edited, and most of the trash they dig aren't shown until the end of the day hunt. My first silver with my XLT was a 1942 Washington. It was a solid signal, but only a +78 VDI @ around 6 1/2-8" deep...There it was!...Not a red, orange, black, or brown coin, but a beautiful, shiny, silver U.S. $0.25 piece just begging to see sunlight again ! I'm still very content with every clad coin I rescue but when silver appears, I get all warm & fuzzy inside....In reality, it all boils down to a little bit of luck, being "in tune" with what your machine is telling you, and good 'ole patience...I'm not familiar with the F2 but with any machine, it just takes time. Imagine picking up a guitar for the first time...Will you be able to play your favorite song note for note?...Not likely. Food for thought...I eagerly await your "MY FIRST SILVER" post. If time allows, I imagine it won't be long before you reach that goal....Good luck to ya' !!

ya also gotta remember detectors have been out for many years and most parks have been picked thru with a fine tooth comb, also "back in the day" people really didn't have much money to lose. just keep swingin and you'll find the good stuff.

Thanks for the encouragement everyone. I mean personally, i checked the areas that i thought HAD to have silver, and i guess i was wrong... i just see everyone on these forums finding goodies, and i was so ready to get something, atleast a silver, and i have nothing.. its sad but i guess i will be patient and i will try to hunt as much as possible. i really hope i find something soon aswell =] if not well maybe coin collecting is more for me, lol

Research, Research, and oh ya Research

Like Jack said location is everything. Try doing some research . Internet, library, forum, old aireal photos, talking to elders, etc. You have to be a detective to find the good stuff. Doing the research,and then finding something nice is gratifying. Don't worry about finding silver it will come. If you start notching out things you may miss some good targets. Persistence is another good thing to have.Read Urban Treasure Hunter by Micheal Chapman. Great book . It gives alot of good pointers for new guys.Good luck

Like Jack said location is everything. Try doing some research . Internet, library, forum, old aireal photos, talking to elders, etc. You have to be a detective to find the good stuff. Doing the research,and then finding something nice is gratifying. Don't worry about finding silver it will come. If you start notching out things you may miss some good targets. Persistence is another good thing to have.Read Urban Treasure Hunter by Micheal Chapman. Great book . It gives alot of good pointers for new guys.Good luck

Yeah, what he said. Keep at it. A bit of a wait is OK. It makes that first silver even sweeter. As the saying goes: Thats why they call it fishing and not catching. GL

Yep, back when I started Mding in 1983, silver coins were much more common than they are today. There's been more and more people MDing for many years now, so it stands to reason silver coins will be harder to find. Ya gotta hit the old spots that others have ignored. I've had some luck at the old RR station in our town. I went and asked permission and I got the feeling I was the first person they had ever known with a metal detector.......they literally didn't know what to say or think. Warmer weather means more construction sites as well and we have a new city complex being built on some OLD park land next to the Rio Grande......I take donuts out to the workers every morning!!!!! (hint, hint)

Dusty

Honestly Here on the west coast I find silver rarely. Once behind a school in a field when the grass dies in the summer so I can bring my coil down to the ground. I once found a 1957 dime rang up as a penny in an old park. I found a 1948 dime next to a house on a strip of grass/trees that looks like private prop but isnt. Also my only merc from what used to be fenced in property. My other silver dime from an old swim hole. I found a dime in my kids school playground I think recently dropped by unknowing kid. Maybe thats alot of silver?:?::grin: I hope you find some sometime,keep looking! Try odd places like I thought up,Even strips of grass between the sidewalk, OOOOH that reminds me of a place like that in San Rafael! Thanks!:yes:

Dont get dicouraged. I dont think location is that big a deal. I have found silver in local parks. The key things is to look where most people wouldn't look. Sometimes those areas are full of trash but if you get one silver coin or ring out of a handful of trash than I think its worth it. Good luck!

It's getting harder to find. The first year of detecting, I found over two hundred silver coins. Last year I only found five. Probably because I have been doing most of my hunting at one old park which was a housing development during WWII. Silver turns up when you lest expect it. Keep looking. It's still out there.

Have you checked your detector with a silver coin/ring to make sure it is seeing it ok? May even dig a hole to drop the ring in to make sure you are seeing thru the ground.

I was frustrated never finding gold on the beaches, only to test my old detector like I mentioned, and found out I had somehow notched out the gold range. Got that fixed and found a gold earring 2nd day on the beach.

Sorti

its all about location, old houses, private yards, curb strips etc......GOOD places for silver. Silver from parks is possible, but parks are hit by everyone and most silver from parks is deep or iffy signals. Knock doors. I do it everytime I hunt, and I find silver on most hunts

I've been hunting a closed school. Built in the early 1930's. Have found over 30 coins there but all clad except for some copper pennies. This property is old enough by far to produce silver but so far nothing but clad.

Definitely don't get discouraged. Keep swinging! It sounds like you have the right mind-set regarding where to look. Now all you have to do is get the coil over the silver and you'll more than likely find it. Who's to say, maybe there IS silver there where you were looking, and you might have just missed it. :doah: Don't give up. It'll happen... just be patient and enjoy the fact that you are out doing something that others only wish they could be doing, or that they are too lazy to do - which is good as it'll leave more for you to find. :thumbsup: Only my 2 cents worth.

HH,
Cors
Minelab X-Terra 70, 5"x10" & 6" 18.75 kHz coils

Old age and treachery shall overcome youth and skill :oldguy:

Back
Top Bottom