75.1 KB · Views: 504
  • DSC_0006.jpg
    DSC_0006.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 514
  • DSC_0007.jpg
    DSC_0007.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 498
Spanish!!

It appears to be Spanish, says 8, so I'm assuming an 8 Reales and the mint mark is from Mexico City (m with the littlt o above it), 1681 is the date. Now the question: is it real??? Lots of reproductions around. I do not have a book on Spanish silver. Did it read silver on the machine?? Or was it much lower? Nice find either way. Don't ever remember "Hibernia" on Spanish though.

St. Augustine/ Pirates of Carribean pieces of 8 reale replica souvenir coin I believe... I think the one pictured is the real deal, but I can't get a photo of the fake to come out...

Attachments

• pieces of 8.gif
    pieces of 8.gif
    17.9 KB · Views: 512
Last edited:
I have a beach hunter 300 and it was in the yellow light range. It doesn"t seem to be silver. How can I tell?

If it were silver I'd say it'd ring up in the green range, which is where clad and silver would be expected. Yellow targets are like in the nickel gold range.

I put the coin under the coil again. It goes back and fourth between yellow and green. The magnet does not work. What web site can I go to to see the souvenir piece?

From the photograph, it looks like a Spanish reale... would not be the first found in New England... have it authenticated by a dealer. RickO

The coin is a replica. Thanks for all the help. It was still great finding and learning about coin. Maybe next time!!!

Back
Top Bottom