Winter approaching - What's your limit?

MentalUnrest

With weather getting colder, I was curious to what is members limit to when they will still go out. I have been out twice in past week with weather in lower 40s and a nice brisk wind. I dressed for it and really did not mind it at all. Supposed to be up in 50s this weekend so I know I will have at least 2 more great outings.

What will you go out in? For me, as long as ground is not frozen, the temperature is not a deterrent at all. I had a job the past 5 years where I worked outside for my entire day all winter long.

It was a chilly 80 degrees where I'm at today. Almost too cold for a quick dip in the pool after mowing and trimming the lawn. It's the 115 degrees in the summer where I hesitate, and then it's just a matter of drinking water and plenty of spf 50.

I hunt until the ground is frozen. Once the grassy areas freeze to about an inch I hunt in the woods until I can't chip away anymore. Trust me there is nothing worse than hunting when the ground is frozen, getting an awesome signal at 5" and then you can't dig it because the ground is frozen solid. If the ground wouldn't freeze, I would MD all winter.

After a low of 3 degrees yesterday (coldest in the 48!!) we got up to 44 today, but the wind made it nasty. It may get up near 50 for the next few days, time to break out the Gold Bug SE and check the gold fields, wind permitting.....:)

Dusty

Haven't found my limit yet. In April I was in 19 degree weather with a 25 mph winter powering a blizzard with about 30 feet of visiblity. I keep one eye on my car and the other on my machine.

Real challenge is how fast the battery drains!

(and were it not for lots of woolies, i probalby would have had frostbite on my arm holding the machine!)

Winter is my favorite time, I can finally get to my favorite sites thats been overgrown all summer & I've worked in a building thats 30 degrees year round for over 12 years so cold is no bother..:grin:

I'm from Canada so the cold is no problem. :) Luckily it never gets that cold anyway here in Osaka...might get down to zero but that's about it. I must admit though, digging in wet sand on a freezing day does get pretty tough! :wow:

For me if the wind isnt howling and the ground isnt frozen the air temp
dosnt matter as long as my hands dont get cold with thin gloves on im good

Until the ground freezes, 3 degrees, not snowing, I have no idea what you guys are talking about. I can hunt almost all year unless it rains which isn't too often. By the way I'm in southern California where we really don't have much of a winter and I can hit the beach anytime, it's only 10 miles away.

Mike

cool thread! Shows what a hearty breed we MDer's really are!
Have been saving a few small beaches in my area for when things snow over and freeze up... let you guy know how it works out!

Well this is my 1st season of MD so I have no experience MDing in the winter. I love to hike & have done so in the snow.

There is something I just love about being out in the woods & hearing the peace & quite as the snow gently falls down. Very relaxing.

I even camped out with a bunch of friends the weekend before christmas a long time ago. The good thing was the snow kept the beer cold :lol:.

As long as I'm dressed for the weather & the ground isn't frozen solid I'll go out. My plans for the winter is to research as much as possible & then hike out to locate the sites so that I can return when the ground is digable.

My:viking: blood loves the cold but can't stand the summer @ 90+ :coolinoff:

Back
Top Bottom