TILT at the bank

RichieSoprano

was informed today that my banks new policy is that 10 dollar boxes of pennies would only be available for commercial customers for change. then was informed that the box I was purchasing at that time was my last, and they were doing me a favor in "allowing" me to purchase it. I directly asked the teller if they were just ending coin roll hunting. her DIRECT answer to me was, "yes."

I would advise you to "get your gits" soon, based on this. I
I was also told I was free to buy coins from the US Mint in boxes. Really? I'm "free" to do that? How generous! I'm going to try another bank across town and use the old bank to dump the searched stuff.

The other bank did sell me a tenner, tho the manager did say, wow can't imagine why you'd need 10 dollars worth. Felt it better just to smile & shrug. She asked if I had a bag to carry them. I just asked to use the box and said that I would return it. Wife suggested I go slow and only do the pennies every other week. I hate to do it but she's probably right. Banks must just hate it they don't get a cut of "ALL THAT TREASURE" we are finding. Don't know what you are gonna do with your millions but I'm gonna buy an island, put my own bank on it and coin roll hunt out of it(sarcasm beyond words)...LOL.

My understanding is that the banks pay fees to get those boxes. Plus, there's the teller labor they'd love to reduce in favor of ATMs and online banks. You might not be able to get coin rolls, but they might be looking for jobs soon. Blame the people doing their banking online if you want to blame somebody for reduced customer service at branches. Not the tellers.

‘Last box’, been hearing that one since the 70’s!
Looks like it’s time to find a new bank, I’ve been through dozens over the years.

Banks lose money handling coin, but make up for it by charging obscene interest rates of up to 28% or more on some loans...once you deposit your savings it belongs to the bank, not you ...it’s a bad scene man:no:...dumped ‘em years ago and am now part owner of two credit unions...

Which particular pennies are you looking for when you hunt through these?

Mostly I hit wheats. There is my "white whale coin" tho...a very cool Canadian Penny called a 3 dot. It is worth a VERY smooth $234,000.00......and I live near Canada. And yes, there's lots of Canadian coin floating around up here. I sometimes look for mistakes. I'd be got a seventies something Brass penny, for instance. On rare occasion I will pull a roll of halves. From time to time I have done pretty well. Key date coins are good too. My purpose in pennies is simply this:
1. Pay a penny for a penny coin.
2. If that coin has extra value(see above) then swap it out after awhile when I have enough for cash. Then...
3. Put the cash on some silver or other PM. Because.....copper has little value in an economy that's gone flat....but precious metals...DO.

Speaking of banks, I took my coins in today. $49.54. Wanting to have a more even number, I put in my half dollar. The machine doesn’t count halfs . How bout that! Of course she didn’t have a key for the machine ( a lie !) and she couldn’t reimburse me. It’s. Not the fifty cents, it’s that it’s my money, not the banks ! I always take my coins here so I know they keep a key. Lazy !!!!

Speaking of banks, I took my coins in today. $49.54. Wanting to have a more even number, I put in my half dollar. The machine doesn’t count halfs . How bout that! Of course she didn’t have a key for the machine ( a lie !) and she couldn’t reimburse me. It’s. Not the fifty cents, it’s that it’s my money, not the banks ! I always take my coins here so I know they keep a key. Lazy !!!!
Unfortunate. Like I mentioned, once you deposit your cash, it’s the banks property.

Penny struck on a brass planchet in error at the mint. Some foreign coins of similar size to our penny are made for foreign governments and they apparently use brass for some of theirs. Coin is a striking(no pun intended) yellowish.

Back
Top Bottom