• Forum server maintanace tonight.
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Nox 800 (looking for hardware upgrade info)

EmuDetector

Forum Supporter
Soon I am going to purchase a Nox 800 to add to my inventory. But as I have been reading about them over the time I have been here, I have picked up on a few things here and there people replace or add for improvements. (shafts, coil ears, etc)

So what I want to know in this thread is if you own a Nox 800, what did YOU replace or add to your nox over time and why? Kind of looking to purchase everything at once when I start ordering things. Not looking to have this thread become a detector debate, just a consolidated upgrades and add ons thread for the Nox 800.

Thanks in advance!

I had an ear stiffener made for the ears on the coil. This prevents them from snapping off. There is plenty of places online to purchase one or here is a thread that I started that links you to a program for a 3-D printer that you can do On your own. I had my local library print for me it cost me about a dollar.

https://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=277780

Attachments

• 20200915_210223.jpg
    20200915_210223.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 411
Steve’s Detector Rods complete shaft w/counterweight: I didn’t have the lower shaft wobble problem that others reported when I bought my Equinox, but I wanted the replacement shaft just to head the problem off before it started. Plus the shaft is lighter and perhaps better balanced than the stock shaft even before the addition of the counterweight. Once I purchased a 15” coil for the machine, the counterweight is a major improvement to balance. https://www.stevesdetectorrods.com/

Herke cuff w/neoprene pad: Excellent and far more durable arm cuff and stand than the stock item. Thing is built like a tank. The arm cuff is also available through Steve’s website.

One thing I would recommend staying away from if you hunt in a warm climate is any kind of control box rain/dust cover. I’ve always used them with all of my previous detectors to prevent scratches on my screens from my dirty/muddy gloves. Anyway, I tried a couple different varieties from a pair of makers with the Equinox, and rapidly learned that the control box overheats on a hot day, rendering the display impossible to read. I’ve switched to these vinyl keypad covers instead, made by Tony Hunt in England. Coupled with one of the included Minelab protectors for the center part of the screen, they do a great job saving the screen from scratches and damage from the dirt and mud on my gloves.

I know a lot of guys are using and will probably recommend some variety of coil ear “stiffener” to help prevent coil ears from breaking. It’s just my opinion, but I no longer believe these are effective for solving the issue. I used them briefly, but have since abandoned their use. Here is a link to an interesting post from our forum where someone suggests the stiffeners don’t really work, and suggest a different solution: https://metaldetectingforum.com/showpost.php?p=3251978&postcount=9

Here’s another thread from a different forum suggesting the same:

https://www.detectorprospector.com/forums/topic/13663-ongoing-equinox-coil-ear-breakage-issue/#comments

And last - every detector should have some sort of pirate emblem added :lol::cool3::

3C9F9933-0BF0-44F9-9D35-237E1184E25E.jpg

Last edited:
Added a 6" coil, Doc's arm cuff cover, Steve Goss carbon fiber shaft. I liked my first 800 so much I bought a second one and added Doc's arm cuff cover and a Detect Ed retractable carbon fiber shaft so I wouldn't miss my ORX and its retractable shaft too much.

I am still trying to like the supplied ML80 Bluetooth wireless headphones. They seem to have too much bass for my hearing and can't be adjusted. I really like the immediate presence of the Aukey B80 earbuds and some of the Avantree Bluetooth headphones so far.

I am still trying to like the supplied ML80 Bluetooth wireless headphones. They seem to have too much bass for my hearing and can't be adjusted. I really like the immediate presence of the Aukey B80 earbuds and some of the Avantree Bluetooth headphones so far.

Agreed - the Aukey EP-B80 earbuds are an excellent addition. I like the sound quality much better than the stock ML80 headphones, and they provide AptX LL connectivity with the Equinox for minimal lag.

Well I'm a lowly Nox 600 owner :cool3: but I quickly upgraded to a DetectEd carbon fiber shaft, a metal arm cuff originally intended for the X-Terra, a coil ear stiffener and the Aukey B80 earbuds. The Nox is a great machine and with the shaft/cuff it feels so much better and the earbuds have been AWESOME in the heat of the summer.

Well I'm a lowly Nox 600 owner :cool3: but I quickly upgraded to a DetectEd carbon fiber shaft, a metal arm cuff originally intended for the X-Terra, a coil ear stiffener and the Aukey B80 earbuds. The Nox is a great machine and with the shaft/cuff it feels so much better and the earbuds have been AWESOME in the heat of the summer.

The DetectEd carbon shaft was my choice too. I love it. I believe they fixed the coil ear problem.

Back
Top Bottom