Increasing the Sensitivity (Signal Reach) of a Pin-Pointer.

ToddB64

Elite Member
Hi ! :tiphat:

Following is a collection of (5) different methods of increasing the Sensitivity (Signal Reach) of a Pinpointer, in some cases approx. doubling the range !

I copied these methods from single posts on this website and thought it would be helpful to re-post them as a collection for convenient review to decide which method(s) you might like to try.

These methods should work on most hand-held pinpointers.
An explanation (Also copied from this website.) of what makes the technique work is included at the bottom of this post.

A demonstration of how to "tune" a pinpointer using these methods is accessible as follows: Hover your cursor on the hyperlinked address below for the #1 Nickel method, left-click once and the youtube video host will explain. Before doing so, read NOTE A below.

NOTE A … Be sure your speaker volume is up before clicking the #1 and #5 Youtube hyperlinks.

NOTE B … You don't necessarily have to be a registered member on any of the metaldetectingforum type links in order to access the page and post showing the method.

#1..Nickel method: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUlewb1xGN8

#2..Ring on finger method: http://metaldetectingforum.com/showpost.php?p=745492

#3..Steel Washer / Elastic Band method: https://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=76568

#4..Sliding Kids Ring on HF Centech Pin-pointer #97245 > "pan4au" 07-05-11, 01:14 PM After activating the link below, look to the right and see page numbers in the upper-right corner and left-click on page number 4. Next, Scroll down to post #34 (Post numbers are in the upper-right corner of each post.).
https://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=76568+highlight=Sliding+Kids+Ring+page=34

#5..Pull Ties and Sliding Binder Clip method: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4z-Q1s3Wj8

Definition of how it works:

“Since a Pinpointer is a static detector and affected by stationary metal targets and does not tune the target out as would a motion detector, by introducing another piece of metal (your ring, a coin, piece of foil ) you've driven the detection signal that much closer to the detection threshold. Therefore, it takes less target metal to push the signal over the detection threshold.”

“We know a Pinpointer will detect a larger object deeper so by placing a piece of metal on the housing it is just the basic accumulation of metal that drives the signal closer to the detection threshold. All this compliments of a Garrett engineer!”

Hope this is helpful.

ToddB64

Last edited:
Thanks for posting this summary - I had no idea it was possible to extend the pinpointer’s range like this. I’ve tried it on my last two hunts with my Garrett Propointer II, and it works fantastically! After flipping my plugs, if the pointer wasn’t sounding off in the bottom or sides, I was often able to trigger a signal by holding my digger blade along the barrel near the top of the pinpointer. A huge help for pinpointing and recovering deeper targets!

Thanks for posting this summary - I had no idea it was possible to extend the pinpointer’s range like this. I’ve tried it on my last two hunts with my Garrett Propointer II, and it works fantastically! After flipping my plugs, if the pointer wasn’t sounding off in the bottom or sides, I was often able to trigger a signal by holding my digger blade along the barrel near the top of the pinpointer. A huge help for pinpointing and recovering deeper targets!

AirmetTango,

WTG ! Using your metal digger blade was creative thinking :newidea:

How much extra (or total) signal reach did you get ?

Thanks for giving us another method that's simple, quick, and effective.

ToddB64

Last edited:
AirmetTango,

WTG ! Using your metal digger blade was creative thinking :newidea:

How much extra (or total) signal reach did you get ?

Thanks for giving us another method that's simple, quick, and effective.

ToddB64

I haven’t done a bench test/air test yet to measure how much extra depth I’m getting using the digger blade, but I estimate I’m getting at least an extra inch. Targets that didn’t register at all without the “super tuning” would give a definite steady chirp with the addition of the blade across the barrel. Maybe it’s because the hand digger’s blade is such a large target, but I find that I can hold the blade much higher up on the pinpointer than the methods in the links you provided - I’m typically holding it about where the battery cap meets the top of the case on the Propointer, which allows me to get the detecting tip down pretty deep in a hole without worrying about the blade getting blocked by the top of the relatively narrow holes I sometimes need to dig. The downside, of course, is that it takes a bit of dexterity to probe the hole while keeping the digger in the same position on the barrel...but a bit of practice makes it second nature.

Thanks again for posting about this - now that I know about it, I’m using the technique constantly!! It saves a ton of time and effort - I never realized how much time I was wasting getting up and down to rescan a hole with the detector to make sure I was still on the right track with deeper targets.

Edit (12/19/2019): Performed a simple bench test for the Garrett Propointer and Propointer II. Gained a minimum of 1” in detection range on all three targets I tested: a silver dime, copper Lincoln, and a Jefferson nickel. If I was careful with placement of the digger blade at the back of the unit, I saw as much as a 2” increase, especially with the nickel. Results were pretty consistent for both the Propointer and the Propointer II

Last edited:
> Increasing the Sensitivity (Signal Reach) of a Pin-Pointer.

I haven’t done a bench test/air test yet to measure how much extra depth I’m getting using the digger blade, but I estimate I’m getting at least an extra inch. Targets that didn’t register at all without the “super tuning” would give a definite steady chirp with the addition of the blade across the barrel. Maybe it’s because the hand digger’s blade is such a large target, but I find that I can hold the blade much higher up on the pinpointer than the methods in the links you provided - I’m typically holding it about where the battery cap meets the top of the case on the Propointer, which allows me to get the detecting tip down pretty deep in a hole without worrying about the blade getting blocked by the top of the relatively narrow holes I sometimes need to dig. The downside, of course, is that it takes a bit of dexterity to probe the hole while keeping the digger in the same position on the barrel...but a bit of practice makes it second nature.

Thanks again for posting about this - now that I know about it, I’m using the technique constantly!! It saves a ton of time and effort - I never realized how much time I was wasting getting up and down to rescan a hole with the detector to make sure I was still on the right track with deeper targets.

Edit (12/19/2019): Performed a simple bench test for the Garrett Propointer and Propointer II. Gained a minimum of 1” in detection range on all three targets I tested: a silver dime, copper Lincoln, and a Jefferson nickel. If I was careful with placement of the digger blade at the back of the unit, I saw as much as a 2” increase, especially with the nickel. Results were pretty consistent for both the Propointer and the Propointer II

AirmetTango,

Thanks for your above reply ! :thankyou:

You might want to try the #3..Steel Washer (w/o the Elastic Band, unless someone in your family is good at sewing and you don't mind asking.:please:), as it would be less cumbersome than a digger. ;)

It appears that (a) the more mass, larger and/or thicker the object used, the farther back toward the rear of the pinpointer it can be tuned and stationed to get signal extension and reaction with the target and vice-versa (b) an object with less mass must be tuned and stationed closer to the pinpointer tip.

If you are inclined, try different smaller-size and thickness objects tuned and stationed closer to the PP tip, using the same sample target (if you're hunting silver coins use Roosevelt Dimes, or if you're hunting gold coins, rings and jewelry use current-date Jefferson Nickels and bury (3) of your chosen sample target at 2", 4" and 6" depth respectively. Next, pinpoint each sample target buried, using your chosen test object and record the results. Naturally, you could increase the number of targets to (4) and increase the depth of the deepest target to 8" if you can tolerate digging targets that deep. :digginahole: Me?:nah:

If you do decide to run these tests, everyone would be grateful to read the results !

Thanks and Good Luck ! ;)
ToddB64

This is great info, thank you! And thank you AmT for the digger method addition :)

Back
Top Bottom