• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Gold plated stripping

Metalman47

Does anybody know how to strip off gold off something that is gold plated. I've thought of using a propane torch but unshure if it is too hot. I'm just thinking how to get the gold so I can sell it to scrap gold dealer. Another idea was soak it in a solution. If anyone has an idea please text me. Justin

Does anybody know how to strip off gold off something that is gold plated. I've thought of using a propane torch but unshure if it is too hot. I'm just thinking how to get the gold so I can sell it to scrap gold dealer. Another idea was soak it in a solution. If anyone has an idea please text me. Justin

This is a serious reply... give up now. You can not recover the gold plating unless you are willing to invest in a lot of materials. The process (which ever you chose) is dangerous and expensive to attempt in small quantities. The only way to make any $$$ at this is to have a large supply to process.

Based on what the previous poster said you might be better off seeing what you can sell it for "as is", maybe there is a company not too far away that does the recovery process in quantity and will buy it from you as is.

Jason is correct. Even recovering the gold from contacts and pins in modern computers and electronics is fraught with dangers, and there's commercial outfits that do it.
It involves crushing up all the bits and pieces from around the gold that one wishes to recover, then soaking the crushings in a series of acids, to dissolve everything but the gold. One then has to neutralize the acids, and sluice away all the slurry in order to actually get the gold out. One can imagine the amount of work this is going to require to get a reasonable "profit" from the efforts.

Me?....I think I'll pass.

Roger

If you try heating it you'll most likely just burn it off or cause it to melt into the substrate metal.

There are a number of companies that take scrap jewelry and precious metals. They can separate the gold from the underlying metal. But do not expect gold plate to provide much. Here's one I've used in the past. But there are many.

RioGrande:
https://www.riogrande.com/landing/scrap

You've got good feedback so far. Jason & GTS225 are right: The trace amounts of gold on "gold plated" jewelry, is not worth the cost of processes to extract it. Unless you had very large amounts to work with, and the specialized equipment to do it with.

When I find gold plated jewelry, it goes in the trash.

The gold on a gold plated object is only a very very thin layer. So thin, that if you do recover it, it will barely weigh anything. The plating is only for aesthetics. If the jewellery item is in good condition, you can easily sell it for 1000 times the actual gold value.

I Have noticed that the gold and silver refineries state we do not buy gold or silver plate. Obviously too hard to extract enough gold or silver to make it very profitable.

Back
Top Bottom