Out on the prairie!

0z0ne

G'Day!

Been living in Boulder, CO for long enough now to have a look 'round.
Felt out local towns' allowance on hunting parks/easements/tearouts and what-not, but am not thoroughly satisfied with what's turned up.

My eyes have turned to the old ghost towns, one-room school houses, and homestead ruins out in the prairie and even in the rockies.

Have hit a snag, though. Much of the land upon which these old structures/foundations now sit, are privately owned. The local assessors offices provide mailing addresses to the owners post, but after sending out a few letters without success...my faith is waning.

Many of these potential honey-holes are hours away, and practically in the middle of nowhere. Of course, one could probably hunt them for a whole day and never been known, but that's not my style.

What would you guys do?

It's so difficult because, I know the potential is there for some serious goodness. I'd like not to let the opportunity slip....along with the history of these structures that are already being reclaimed by nature.

Any thoughts would be most appreciated.

Be welL!

My suggestion is to drive out and find the nearest house to stop and ask about the property. You want to talk face to face with the land owner if you expect to get permission. Sending mail is too easy to ignore or say no because no personal imprint. Talk to neighbors they know who owns the property and how to contact them.

Start the conversation talking about the history and him. It's a process called Heart-Head-Heart. First you introduce yourself and let them know you are a trustworthy and honest person. Talk about yourself and ask about them to break the ice (Heart) then get to the meat of what you want to do and why (Head) then thank them for allowing you their time to ask permission (Heart)

Great post, detector. I really appreciate your input. Ill plan a day trip out there and venture to a few places, with a backup plan or two, just in case. Itll be over 200 miles of driving for potentially nothing, but that's dedication!

Thanks!

Long Trips

I hunt far away places (over a hundred miles away), but only as side trips to farther away places I go when fishing or weekend trip with the gf. I can see you are truly dedicated. I wish I had a hunting partner who was willing to go as far as you do. If I were you, I would consider such a trip if I didn't have to climb over a fence or walk past a no trespassing sign.
HH everyone

Chances are the places you are interested have been already picked through, but that's not to say there isn't anything left. You know the old adage (or you don't and I'm about to take you to school) "no place is ever hunted out"

I say this because most of these places are easily found and remote enough that it's more along the lines of "sorry, didn't know I wasn't supposed to be here" and on you go. Lots and lots of new diggers like to hit these places thinking exactly what you are, even the experienced diggers. Problem is, they've been hammering on these places since the early 80's.

Certainly not trying to deter you, but I have YET to find an old ghost town that hasn't been known about and pillaged by treasure hunters of all types.

Good luck and I HOPE you come across something awesome so you can come back and say "I told you so" :yes:

G'day!

I enjoy reading your thoughts, my good people! Keep it coming.

I hope to get out there and soon and score some sweet finds!

Best

Nugget shooting

How about trying nugget shooting on federal lands if some permissions don't work out, every creek off the front range has been panned probly.

Back
Top Bottom