Today’s CZ-21 Outing – UTTER FAILURE!!!

FelixtheCat

A Moderating Knight of the Round Coil
Super Mod
Forum Supporter
Please forgive me fellow pirates for it has been 2 weeks and a day since my last outing but I have been under the weather for over a week which prevented me from going out last weekend. :bighanky:

What can I say? I have been going through withdrawals at not having been out for a round of detecting in a while. I was sick and now with my high school’s sports coverage schedule, my son’s fall baseball and Scouting schedule, finding “ME” time has become more difficult. I was feeling better and today’s low tide was around 8:30 am so I get up for a sunrise hunt and some “salt inhalation therapy” for my receding cold. ;) I arrive at the beach and get all my gear on. I get near the water, turn on the detector and the next sound coming through the headphones is the sound of… silence! :ehh: I decide to open up the battery compartment and I see total disaster! :shock: OMG!!! :facepalm: ARGGGHHHHH!!!!! :furious: As you can see by the pictures the battery holder is toast. Now it’s $40 for one of Fisher’s ridiculously overpriced proprietary parts. :mad: Although the separate battery compartment is a strength in Fisher’s design, I also believe it to be a weakness because it allows for human error to creep in if you are not exact in battery replacement with the gasket, sealing and cover tightening. I believe the ID-10-T error leading to the battery disaster occurred when I returned home 2 hunts ago to quickly repair the unit and go back out. :doah: And as you can see “haste does definitely make waste”. I will also now order a new gasket so that I can be completely sure everything is good. A whole week of anticipation laid to waste…

...but at least I didn't bring home any crusty zincs. :roll::twisted:

Attachments

• 20140914_081711.jpg
    20140914_081711.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 2,305
  • 20140914_081720.jpg
    20140914_081720.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 1,499
  • 20140914_081900.jpg
    20140914_081900.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 1,521
And dat my friends is a good example of why I prefer the xcal battery. You have batteries and if u use pricy rechargables, gasket, 9v plug, and the holder. From the wire nut its happened before. Could be $100 mistake. Then you get paranoid and takes awhile to trust it again. Thanks for showing it..... it happens... but man I feel for you sorry about your loss.

Ouch... least the electronics are separate or you would be buying a whole new machine...

Ouch... least the electronics are separate or you would be buying a whole new machine...

Yep, having to shell out $40 stinks but the alternative is far worse. Sorry to see this happen, hopefully you can get it soon and get back out there. Good luck.

Dang! :wow: I hope you get 'er fixed and back at it ASAP.

Thanks for reminding me why I love fresh water!

Wow Painful to look at.Sorry to see this happen. Do you use a torque wrench to
tighten the screws? IIRC the factory used to specify 8-10 inch pound torque.
Hope you get it fixed quickly.

Sorry to hear you have been under the weather Felix... catch something from one of your snotty nosed kids at work maybe? ;)

That leaking battery compartment sure looks ugly...

Well, you can see from the pictures the sealing area isn't large enough and the gasket/seal should be thicker. What engineer designed that setup, why I've been working with electronics for 35 years and never saw a setup like that, a five year old could make a better design....

Wait a minute........

This is a CTX post right????? :laughing: (Trying to make fun out of the mess to get your spirits up some)

Now seriously, I may have missed a previous post, what is the reason for a wire nut in the battery box?

I agree with RustyGunn, it hurts just to look at... did the batteries leak or was it saltwater getting into the battery compartment causing the corrosion?

Good luck in your repairs, as long as the wires into the main unit are still good, the fix is easy....however IF the copper is corroded into the main unit you may have to send it in.

Good luck
Cliff

Sorry about your detector. You are to be commended for sharing a mistake that many off us could easily make. If I had more courage I could start a new thread listing all mistakes I have made.

Now seriously, I may have missed a previous post, what is the reason for a wire nut in the battery box?

I agree with RustyGunn, it hurts just to look at... did the batteries leak or was it saltwater getting into the battery compartment causing the corrosion?

Good luck in your repairs, as long as the wires into the main unit are still good, the fix is easy....however IF the copper is corroded into the main unit you may have to send it in.

Good luck
Cliff
No, it's never been a battery issue with me. It's my failure to seal the compartment correctly. The reason for the wire nuts (I didn't have small in line connectors) is I had a prior similar experience some months back where the 9 volt wire connector on the top burned out the contacts and I connected a new one from Radio Shack. For some reason, its always been tricky for me to get the battery cover on it exactly and sealed water tight. I don't understand why they don't have some type of rechargeable connection. Keep the battery compartment separate, and accessible, but have some type of rechargeable battery pack unit inside that all that requires is a plug-type connection on the exterior. That would be much easier to keep water-proof and make it a much better unit that would keep these accidents from happening.

Sorry about your detector. You are to be commended for sharing a mistake that many off us could easily make. If I had more courage I could start a new thread listing all mistakes I have made.
Thanks and I have no problem looking like a fool. :jester:
Especially, if it helps others to serve as a warning. :yes:

:wow2: just... :wow2:

Here's a site where I've found some Fisher parts relatively cheep in the past. I see your battery holder and gasket are about $50, but didn't calculate the shipping.

You might also contact Tom Dankowski, explain what happened, and ask if he knows where you might find parts less expensive.

You might also try contacting Felix Calvillo at Fisher: [email protected]

Hope you can find what you need for less, but in the grand scheme of things, $50-$60 isn't much to fix a $1,000 detector.

Good luck!

R5

Cz21

Could be worse when Excal's leak your out BIG busks not just $40 I've owned 3 Excals all went in for repair in the first couple years now I'll stick with the CZ21. Make sure your use a little silicon gease on gasket next time

Hopefully the corrosion didn't make it into the machine...I'd be taking it apart and inspecting it after every hunt from now on:yes: Best of luck getting it fixed quickly and inexpensively!

Bummer of a mess there, but $40 like some have said beats replacing the entire detector. Good luck, hope your up and running sooner than later!

Could be worse;) I'm still less scared of my CZ21 failing than my CTX failing. CTX won't ever go 250 deep without leaking:lol: I know when I switch out batteries I wear my glasses and take my time. Even with my BHID300.

Back
Top Bottom