• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

"Patellar Tendonitis", "shin splint" and stress fracture caution

GKL

Forum Supporter
Thursday morning about an hour after speed walking 3 miles for exercise my left knee/lower leg starting hurting very bad anytime I put weight on it, I had to start crawling to get around the house without pain, my dog thought it was neat though :lol:

I think I might have either gotten a "shin splint" or a stress fracture, the pain in my left leg was not intense Friday and today like it was the first day, but it still is tender and sore and let's me know not to put my complete weight on it, so yesterday my wife went to the local medical equipment store and bought me a pair of crutches, it is a big help, at least I don't have to crawl to get around the house now :lol:

While I'm healing I'll do upper body weight lifting from a sitting position to help make up for not being able to do my walking exercise for now. After my leg heals enough I should be able to ease into non-impact exercise like an exercise bike and/or elliptical machine since it does not involve your feet making impact. I sure miss my speed walking, it really felt good after 2 or 3 miles.

I think my injury might have been from a combination of not having the right shoes as well as pushing it too far at one time (for 64 years old), I probably need to keep my max distance at 2 miles instead of 3 miles when I can start speed walking again.

I'll be glad when I can get back to speed walking again as it does work, I lost about 10 lbs in 2 weeks and a regular check-up I had on Monday my blood pressure was so low so my doctor cut my dose in half, I kept monitoring my blood pressure at home and it was still staying too low so I stopped the blood pressure medication completely, but still monitor my blood pressure daily.

......so learn from my mistake, if you do a lot of speed walking, don't overdo it at one time and wear the right shoes !

(and always check with your doctor first before starting an exercise program especially if you're not used to it)

Last edited:
Got one in basic training. Fell off the backside of some bleachers, long story, and hit my shin on the bleacher brace. The next day marching my leg started locking up and hurting. Three days it just got worse so I went to have it check. I was told I had a shin splint and as my muscles in my leg tensed up marching it was splintering my shin bone.

They put me in a cast and sold me I was to do nothing that would strain it. I thought I had it made, but my Drill Sargent had other ideas LOL he still worked my butt off.

You should go see a doc, just to be sure it's not something more serious, especially someone at your age :whistle: :laughing:

I always have something nearby to make sure my detector's on and headphone switch in right position :lol:

Attachments

• Screenshot 2017-09-30 at 5.38.32 PM.jpg
    Screenshot 2017-09-30 at 5.38.32 PM.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 185
Got one in basic training. Fell off the backside of some bleachers, long story, and hit my shin on the bleacher brace. The next day marching my leg started locking up and hurting. Three days it just got worse so I went to have it check. I was told I had a shin splint and as my muscles in my leg tensed up marching it was splintering my shin bone.

They put me in a cast and sold me I was to do nothing that would strain it. I thought I had it made, but my Drill Sargent had other ideas LOL he still worked my butt off.

:lol: I remember how boot camp cab be :lol:

You should go see a doc, just to be sure it's not something more serious, especially someone at your age :whistle: :laughing:

I always have something nearby to make sure my detector's on and headphone switch in right position :lol:

:lol:

I called the doctor's office the next morning and the nurse said it was good that the pain was not intense like the day it happened, just said to see how it is by Monday and if it wasn't getting better to call back. She also mentioned the importance of wearing shoes meant for such activity which she said she learned herself from experience.

I read it can take at least 2 weeks to heal or even weeks longer depending on how bad it was hurt.

Getting used to using crutches is tough, and it's exercise in itself using crutches :lol:

[emoji38] I remember how boot camp cab be [emoji38]

[emoji38]

I called the doctor's office the next morning and the nurse said it was good that the pain was not intense like the day it happened, just said to see how it is by Monday and if it wasn't getting better to call back. She also mentioned the importance of wearing shoes meant for such activity which she said she learned herself from experience.

I read it can take at least 2 weeks to heal or even weeks longer depending on how bad it was hurt.

Getting used to using crutches is tough, and it's exercise in itself using crutches [emoji38]
Shin splints, No skin to the bone on my little toes thanks to "wide" GI boots...... Brings back great memories of cadance and my DS thinking I was nuts!

Thank God he did not know I wanted to go Metal detecting then or I would have had a different MOS!

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

:lol: I remember how boot camp cab be :lol:

:lol:

Getting used to using crutches is tough, and it's exercise in itself using crutches :lol:

OK, didn't want you to become just another statistic :yes:

iu

Shin splints, No skin to the bone on my little toes thanks to "wide" GI boots...... Brings back great memories of cadance and my DS thinking I was nuts!

Thank God he did not know I wanted to go Metal detecting then or I would have had a different MOS!

Our Navy boot camp was in Great Lakes during winter, we had to march in deep unshoveled snow :lol:

OK, didn't want you to become just another statistic :yes:

....a statistic ? :?:

I would think if it was severely damaged the pain would be as intense as the first day, it doesn't really hurt now, just feels slightly sore if I "crutch around" for too long at a time before getting back off my feet. :lol:

Our Navy boot camp was in Great Lakes during winter, we had to march in deep unshoveled snow [emoji38]

I would think if it was severely damaged the pain would be as intense as the first day, it doesn't really hurt now, just feels slightly sore if I "crutch around" for too long at a time before getting back off my feet. [emoji38]
Just March in it? How about living in it and call it Cold Weather Field Training in the Tropical Fort Drum in February!

Man I froze my @$$ off and made great memories you can't put a price on !

Oh yeah , them DI's are looking for people like that. They've got tricks for them to.

I would think if it was severely damaged the pain would be as intense as the first day, it doesn't really hurt now, just feels slightly sore if I "crutch around" for too long at a time before getting back off my feet. :lol:

I was just....how do they say....pullin' your leg :p

Hope you get healed-up quick! About time you get off the crutches, you'll be needing some pain relief for the arm pits :lol: I've spent a whole bunch of time on them between both knees.

I might suggest you talk to your doctor about taking up biking. Much less joint and bone impact, and a darn good cardio workout to boot.

Roger

Just March in it? How about living in it and call it Cold Weather Field Training in the Tropical Fort Drum in February!

Man I froze my @$$ off and made great memories you can't put a price on !

.....well, I remember having to do push ups in the snow too :lol:

Oh yeah , them DI's are looking for people like that. They've got tricks for them to.

Reminded me that I could sound like our "company commander" (what they called the DI in Navy boot camp) ........I would occasionally say one of his sayings like "ALRIGHT YOU PEOPLE" and I'd hear someone holler "attention on deck" thinking I was the company commander entering the barracks :laughing::laughing::laughing:

I was just....how do they say....pullin' your leg :p

Hope you get healed-up quick! About time you get off the crutches, you'll be needing some pain relief for the arm pits :lol: I've spent a whole bunch of time on them between both knees.

Okay, but I'm not doing any "pullin" or "pushin" my leg till it heals :laughing:

I take a couple low dose aspirin as an anti-inflammatory, as far as the arm pits, I definitely know not to put much weight on them but on the hand rests, I definitely don't want to sprain the arm pits :lol:

I might suggest you talk to your doctor about taking up biking. Much less joint and bone impact, and a darn good cardio workout to boot.

Roger

I agree, good idea, not that I wouldn't do any walking, but with the bike riding exercise I could then limit my walking to a level where I could easily avoid reinjuring myself but still get most of my cardio from the bike riding.

We have an indoor exercise bike, elliptical machine, and weight lifting system, but I told my wife I'd like to see about getting a used bike for biking outdoors, could even do it at that walking park we walk at (after I heal up enough of course) .....but I would like to get an ultra comfortable bicycle seat as I remember how sore the butt can get on some of those seats :laughing:
comfortablebikeseat.jpg

The right sneakers can make a world of difference too. I wear sneakers working and switch of to some comfy flipflops when home, otherwise i get leg and back pain.

The right sneakers can make a world of difference too. I wear sneakers working and switch of to some comfy flipflops when home, otherwise i get leg and back pain.

From what I had researched (and heard from the nurse) you are VERY correct, more than one site mentioned the importance of wearing the right shoes to help avoid injury when doing a lot of walking or running.

While you are healing, try wearing compression stockings. This may help. Hope you heal quickly!

Thanks, and I do appreciate any ideas !!!!!

The knee/lower leg feels better in the mornings after being in bed all night, but after getting around on crutches all day it get sorer, but I can't stay off my feet 24 hrs a day.

It's frustrating when you are used to getting a good cardio workout and have to hold off for a while, at least I can still do upper body weight lifting while in a sitting position.

Bummer man, using crutches must have cause me to put too much strain on my right leg as a short while ago it became extremely painful in my right leg when I try to walk or even move to change position on the bed, may have pulled the right leg muscle and groin.

Guess I tried doing too much on crutches, it's just that I was trying to at least keep up with half my chores so my wife wouldn't have to it all.

I might have to go back to crawling again as even using crutches is painful.

Sciatica ?

Bummer man, using crutches must have cause me to put too much strain on my right leg as a short while ago it became extremely painful in my right leg when I try to walk or even move to change position on the bed, may have pulled the right leg muscle and groin.

Guess I tried doing too much on crutches, it's just that I was trying to at least keep up with half my chores so my wife wouldn't have to it all.

I might have to go back to crawling again as even using crutches is painful.

I was trying to research what is causing not being able to lift my right leg to walk.

There is no pain when sitting or laying down, but when I try to walk my right leg does not want to lift off the floor and it is even very difficult trying to just slide my right leg forward. (and still even using crutches)

This didn't happen till AFTER using crutches for a few days to keep the weight off my left leg which was hurt, now my left leg seems a lot better, but now my right leg seems effectively lame.

I am so tired of laying in bed, but it is so difficult to walk it takes me about 5 to 10 minutes to get the about 15 feet from the bed to the bathroom.

I'm hoping this heals up sooner than later, just being in bed for a few days so far is so frustrating, I'd hate to think I'd have to stay in bed for weeks.

Well, I learned my lesson as far as trying to get back into shape too quickly at 64 years old, I should have limited my speed walks to 2 miles instead of 3 miles and maybe I could have avoided all this to begin with.

Back
Top Bottom