Would you spend this?

pplinker

Forum Supporter
DSCN4222.JPGI tumbled my clad today. This was messed up to begin with so it wasn't the tumbling. Was thinking if I roll up pennies, would include this in a roll and turn it into the bank so they could send it back to the Treasure department. but then was wondering if a purchase came to say, 2.51 and you gave the clerk two dollars, two quarters and this penny, what would they say.

Heck yeah...

Just look at it all weird, then ask them, how does this happen? (As you're handing it over to them)...

<°)))>{

I don't think banks take coins in rolls anymore. They'll dump them into a coin star type machine. So they'd probably find it anyway.

Just whip it out (that cent there, nothing more) next time you get change and then say, "What the heck you giving me change like this for!! I want a whole cent!"

:lol:

Remember when gasoline billboards prices per gallon would read:

.89/ gal
with 9 tenths of a cent above the .89 :p

I don't think banks take coins in rolls anymore. They'll dump them into a coin star type machine. So they'd probably find it anyway.

Yea I tried to bring in some machine rolled pennies and they told me to break them open and put them into their coin machine. I brought in some loose change today and this bank has the machine behind the counter, they gave me back the coins it rejected (one Canadian penny, one worn wheat, and some foreign aluminum coin)

The stores, and banks don't want to deal with damaged coins, nor does the mint. Might as well throw that thing in the trash.

I've seen them worse than that. In quarters, thirds or in half. I've always just thrown those pennies away but this thread has me wondering if I should've tried spending them just to see the reaction I'd get. :lol: Honestly, though, it seems people rarely use pennies... when they pay with cash at all. Canada did a smart thing by getting rid of them.

I have a load of pennies that were rejected by the machine. How can I get something for them?

Short answer is, you probably can't get anything for them. You could try different machines, like the coin star machines instead of the bank ones, but don't hold your breath. Given that an intact penny is worth so little many people won't even bend over in a parking lot to pick them up, trying to get money for a damaged one is likely not worth your time, unless you have so many you need a forklift to move them.

Think of what your time is really worth. Federal minimum wage is $7.25 per hour. That makes a penny worth less than 5 seconds of your time if you earn minimum wage. If you earn $15 an hour, which is the minimum wage in some parts of the US now, your penny is worth less than 2 and a half seconds.

I know many business owners who already round their prices to the nearest nickel or even the nearest quarter simply for the time savings. When I go to farm market I price everything in increments of $0.25 so I only need to bring a roll of quarters and a stack of 1's and 5's to make change. Makes the cash drawer that much lighter, and speeds up counting at the end of the day.

OK rant over.

collect them all in a pile and send them to me :) I always pick up pennies, little increments by day large value over time. IK put all i can towards getting a house hopefully next year and every cent counts!

collect them all in a pile and send them to me :) I always pick up pennies, little increments by day large value over time. IK put all i can towards getting a house hopefully next year and every cent counts!

Pay for the postage and my time and I'll happily send you pennies. You can have all my junk foreign coins as well. I find it funny that people actually coin roll hunt pennies. At least with quarters, halves, and dimes you have a chance of finding some silver.

Not sure what you consider a 'large value over time', but if you manage to pick up 5 pennies per day, every day for a year, you would have a whopping $18.25 or 36 and a half rolls of pennies.

All my banks Navy Federal just pulled all the coin drops. Only way they take them now is in rolls.I know I find so many rotten zincs its easier to toss them in the trash or you spend hours cleaning a couple bucks. We use the toasted clad dimes and quarters for beach parking:lol:

You just spent 2 cents worth of electricity to find out if you can spend that thing. It's a penny for gods sake. Throw it in the trash. Then go to the convenience store parking lot and find 5 more.

Back
Top Bottom