Dirty Silver

beephead

Elite Member
I got back out today to do some more metal detecting to see if I could find some more silver coins. I was doing a lot of cherry picking today and not much digging. When I finally did get my search coil over what thought was likely a silver coin, it almost went into the finds pouch instead of the water bottle that I put my silver coins in. After a closer look and a little rubbing I saw the date, 1953.

Silver coins in my area usually come out of the ground all nice and clean like they were just dropped. Every once in awhile I will find a silver coin that's tarnished. They're really hard to clean. Any pointers on cleaning them would be welcome and appreciated.

beephead

Attachments

• IMG_0077.jpg
    IMG_0077.jpg
    187.7 KB · Views: 223
  • IMG_0078.jpg
    IMG_0078.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 171
  • IMG_0080.jpg
    IMG_0080.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 192
  • IMG_0083.jpg
    IMG_0083.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 187
Congrats, if you're not worried about cleaning a baking soda and water paste works fairly well. Also had decent results on silver with toothpaste.

You might try acetone. It looks almost like it was painted or someone put fingernail polish on it. At one time I had some nitric acid - that stuff would take off anything, but you couldn't leave it on too long.

Thanks Everyone! I decided that I'm going to use it in my coin test garden. I'm going to buried the damn thing! LOL

beephead

LOL!!!! I just went out to my storage room to look in the coffee can that I threw my clad coins in from today's hunt. The reason that I did so was because today when I dug a dime I decided that it wasn't silver because it was so tarnished and I thought the date I saw was 1977. I left my little magnifying loop at home. Since I dug the tarnished silver quarter, I got to thinking that I might should take a second look with my magnifying glass. Damn, I found 2 silver Rosie dimes (1957 & 1959). Something in that yard was really causing them to tarnish.

I'm thinking that the 1959 Rosie came from my previous hunt when I found the Morgan silver dollar and 3 Washington quarters.

beephead

Attachments

• IMG_0084.jpg
    IMG_0084.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_0088.jpg
    IMG_0088.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 113
Back
Top Bottom