Heat and a detector?

Thousandstar

Will leaving my detector in the truck of my car mess it up in any way. I live in WV and with 90 degree days, I'm betting 110+ degrees in the trunk?
I want to go detecting after work, but I'm afraid of messing up my detector.

Not sure, but I have read it takes a few minutes for most detectors to become acclimated when you go from one temperature range to another so maybe they are affected, somewhat.

I would probably leave my cheap one in a hot car but not my good one, just to be safe.

Most manuals tell you not to subject the detector to this kind of heat by exactly this scenario. I'd be uncomfortable leaving any electronic gadget in temps over 100 degrees. I suspect trunk temps in the full sun during summer are over 110. Temps in the passenger area can reach 140 with all that glass. This hot air effects the trunk too given enough time.

But....big But. Think of all the auto electronics that cook for years in the worst heat and are never damaged. Like the radio, phone, GPS, etc. Maybe these devices are much tougher than we're told.

OT

Most manuals tell you not to subject the detector to this kind of heat by exactly this scenario. I'd be uncomfortable leaving any electronic gadget in temps over 100 degrees. I suspect trunk temps in the full sun during summer are over 110. Temps in the passenger area can reach 140 with all that glass. This hot air effects the trunk too given enough time.

But....big But. Think of all the auto electronics that cook for years in the worst heat and are never damaged. Like the radio, phone, GPS, etc. Maybe these devices are much tougher than we're told.

OT

My computer generally runs between 105 and 175 Fahrenheit FWIW, your car stereo and GPS are subjected to it day in and day out. I seriously doubt any quality detector is more fragile than a Garmin Nuvi.

YMMV, I was just putting into perspective that complex electronic devices are commonly left in vehicles.

My computer generally runs between 105 and 175 Fahrenheit FWIW, your car stereo and GPS are subjected to it day in and day out. I seriously doubt any quality detector is more fragile than a Garmin Nuvi.

YMMV, I was just putting into perspective that complex electronic devices are commonly left in vehicles.

The more I think about this, the more I agree with you.

OT

I think they'd probably be fine but I'm just paranoid about it. Something about taking chances with a $1,500 piece of machinery!

I think they'd probably be fine but I'm just paranoid about it. Something about taking chances with a $1,500 piece of machinery!

I would be more worried about it being stolen. You should never leave anything in a vehicle that you do not want stolen. However, it is your detector and you can do with it as you please.

Oh I'd be worried about it being stolen as well! You never know! Can't be too careful.

Back
Top Bottom