Xlt Settings

tony48

Elite Member
I recently purchased a Whites XLT and am having a little bit of trouble getting the settings adjusted for maximum depth and am having a lot of trouble pinpointing. It seems that my pinpointing is always off a few inches. Could someone please tell me what I am doing wrong and if they have any other tips/tricks, they would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Tony48

hmmm... that seems strange to me. my xlt is spot on. even tho i have an in-line pinpointer i often don't even have to use it. if you do a cross pattern with your coil you should get a pretty good idea where the find is. holding the targeting trigger and moving the coin slowly you should be able to hear when the signal gets weaker (assuming you're using headphones).

as for settings - i've been using my xlt for 4 mos. and i only ever use the factory settings. around here if it's more than 6 inches it's too rocky to dig. i find 95% of my stuff at less than 4". in fact i'd say most of them are at less than 2".

We've always used the factory presets too. But we use the Relic mode.

As for pinpointing, put a coin on the ground, swing the coil over it, and mark on the coil with a piece of tape where it is pinpointing at.

I think on our XLT the center of the coil is the pinpoint spot. One time we were pinpointing a target, looked down in the center of the coil and there was a black onyx man's ring laying there in the grass. :yes:

Could be he's trying to gain depth by increasing the all metal (DC) sensitivity. More its boosted the harder it is to pinpoint.

Tony, I should increase Pre Amp before anything else. Leave DC unless your going for mixed mode. Increase Pre Amp which will improve DC sensitivity without having any need to adjust DC itself. Use AC sensitivity as a fine tune to restore stability after the Pre-Amp increase.
If you want to try maximum Pre Amp programmes expect to have to adjust AC down below the number used in the inbuilt programmes. In hot weather you will have to adjust AC down further, in cold you can creep it up more.

Pinpoint in all metal as suggested but narrow the target down to a half inch blip by squeezing the trigger a couple of times to detune the detector as you approach the centre of the target.

I always use Relic mode and accept down into the minus figures as thats where the small/deep targets indicate when on mineralised ground. In my area on pasture/mountain sides the older targets are ten to twelve inches down . Stick with presets and I'd find very little.

Thanks for all of the good information. I think for now I will stick to the preset programs, but as I go to places that have deeper targets I want to know what settings to change. As for pinpointing, I am starting to get the hang of the detuning. Seems I just needed more practice.

As far as increasing your depth all you have to do is increase the Preamp gain to max or near max. Then increase your AC Sens. If your detector is unstable decrease it a bit.

Then if you open up your discriminator to reject -95 to -29, accept -30 to +94 you will also increase depth. I suppose by now you're thinking that you'll be digging a lot of iron. That's what Tone ID is for. Use your ears to discriminate. After a while you'll be able to tell what the target is by sound, at least whether it's good or not. A glance at your VDI indication will narrow it down even further.

The factory pre-loaded programs are very conservative.Take all I suggested in small steps. Walk before you run. After a while you'll be making your detector sing.

Even though I have a DFX I kept my XLT. I've found many deep,deep targets with it.

I just bought a slightly used XLT E series and It's reassuring that googling for XLT settings bring up this thread from 2008.

It goes to show that every effort members make is a contribution in someone elses future.

Thanks!

Thanks sectshun8!

I have a XLT folder under the Metal Detecting bookmarks just for this model, I intend to learn how to use it.

Back
Top Bottom