My first "Legit" silver coin find.

Skippy SH13

Forum Supporter
Every silver coin I've ever found has been a modern drop. 100% of them in 2" or less of soil in modern parks and schools, with a Walking Liberty just under the grass trimmings. LOL

Today, i found my first "legit" silver coin. It was right around 6-7" (deeper than I typically dig). I had an iffy 85-90 signal, and I told myself:
"Self, you should dig that up, maybe it's a deep quarter."

This park has been around for about 60 years, and certainly could hold deep older coins.

Sure enough, when I finally got to it (had to dig out two sets of depths to get the pinpointer to catch it.) it popped out shiny silver. I knew right away it was a silver Washington, and sure hoped it would be anything other than a 1964...

Alas, it was not to be. Great shape, and must have been dropped new. Beauty of a coin, and it'll go in the jar with the other silver coins I've found.

I also (in the last two hunts, because I didn't empty my bag), $9.05 and 7 more rings. One was a nice spinner ring. None were silver or gold.

EDIT: in hindsight, it's possible the last 1964 quarter was also legit. in an older park about 4"-5" down. Forgot about that one.

Cheers!

Skippy

Attachments

• IMG_1237.JPG
    IMG_1237.JPG
    181.8 KB · Views: 376
Fun seeing the silver in a deep hole. Nice job looking up that signal. It's funny. I find gold rings about as often as you find silver coins.

Deep Silver is my way of life. Hope you like the feeling as it becomes very addictive. Trapper

nah. I like the feeling of gold, MUCH MUCH better. :)

The gold I found so far, this year, will buy me about 86 George Washington 64's.

Yeah, it's only 5 pieces, but the gold, for me, is where it's at. especially, since my average hunt is also yielding an average of $4.40 in clad.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I also have a legal restriction that I cannot dig more than 8" down. LOL

Cheers!

Skippy

Congrats on your silver quarter! Sweet find! I like the in-situ photo with the grassy backdrop. :thumbsup:

Nice! Congrats!!

P.s. I wouldn’t mind finding walkers right under the grass clippings Ha!!

Congrats on your silver quarter! Sweet find! I like the in-situ photo with the grassy backdrop. :thumbsup:

Those camera phones do a good job. I thought my iPhone 6s was good. Then I saw my son's 7Plus... WOW. 14MP allows for a LOT of macro-zoom! I can only imagine how amazing the iPhone X is.

Skippy.

You found 7 rings in 2 hunts!? You should rename yourself Lord of the Rings

You found 7 rings in 2 hunts!? You should rename yourself Lord of the Rings

He does this consistently. Most prolific land ring hunter I've ever heard of. 3 or 4 rings in a single hunt is the norm for Skippy. Quite amazing.

He does this consistently. Most prolific land ring hunter I've ever heard of. 3 or 4 rings in a single hunt is the norm for Skippy. Quite amazing.

Last year, I averaged just over 2 per hunt. this year, I'm not hunting as much, so I'm more selective on where I hunt, which is upping the ring count per hunt.

The thing about it, is that I find rings in other places, too. Anytime I travel, I take my detector with me. Cheap, junk rings are EVERYWHERE. It's a lot harder to find the good stuff, though. :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom