1st Water Hunting trip

clypster

[size=10pt][size=10pt]After Cfmct-PI made me jealous with all his finds in the last year I finally made the switch to a Whites PI Pro.?* I had been using whites for years I just never used a water machine before.?* Having a three day beach trip already in the works made me ready for all the water hunting I could do.

My community has a Lakefront park that I tried the PI out on first.?* Spent an hour and came up with the first set of items clads and a copper/ brass tag. The following morning I was on my way.

My first day there?… a spent a bunch of my time digging and this unit goes deep.?* At the end of the day I had 3 earrings and enough bobby pins to put my wife?’s hair up for the rest of her life.?* I had purchased a long handled scoop and the bobby pins kept dropping out of it constantly, which became a minor irritation.?* The following morning brought my second set of earrings a few more coins and an endless assortment of bobby pins and even a small hook the size of my pinky.?* I am very surprised at its sensitivity.?* The waves were strong so I had a hard time getting out past waist deep. At this point I had met several of the local guys who do this on a daily/weekly basis.?* Most of them were equipped with Minelab?’s.?* They told their stories and well I only had a few great finds on land so I listened and enjoyed.?* I always went in for the afternoon hunting from 6 or 7 am to 10 or 11.?* Then back out at night from 5:30/6 to dark.?* Weds night was my best day. About 5:30 that night I hit gold.?* It was a 10kt gold necklace with Nesha on it.?* I can?’t tell you how great it was to finally have something gold glitter in the bottom of my scoop.?* I spent another few hours in the same area, but called it quits early to relish in my find.?* So far, I had now met six different water guys and 5 different guys with land machines. I felt the hevily visited ½ mile beach gets hit really hard by these guys and was pleased with my finds thus far.?* By Thursday I was really starting to feel the effects of all the digging and walking.?* Tylenol had become my best friend and sleep came easily.?* I was on the beach early and conditions were perfect the water was almost flat.?* I went deep today and found another earring hoop and what I think is a silver bracelet or anklet.?* About 8 o?’clock I had come in for a drink and was hunting a shallow area close to the beach when I was stopped by a persistent little girl.?* Normally I can ignore the folks that ask the fifty questions and make the, ?“I can?’t hear you routine?”.?* It seemed that yesterday she had lost a silver ring that her mother had requested she give her while out in the water so she wouldn?’t loose it.?* Mom dropped it and that had become a ?“Big?” event.?* After trying to determine the exact location as best we could I started to do a grid in the area.?* After about an hour we hit pay-dirt and I thought mom and daughter were going both going to kiss me.?* I declined the reward and requested a photo of it when they returned home.?* That had made my day. More than the necklace had done the day before, so I went back to the surf, where I met even more detectorists.?* The calm weather brought out many of them.?* Not much came up for the rest of the day or that afternoon.?* Overall it was a great trip and a good experience at sizing up the PI pro.

Attachments

• lakefrontfinds.jpg
    lakefrontfinds.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 122
A lot of work but nice going!

Wow Cly... You did really well using a PI congrats :) Great looking stuff... Bobby pins are a PITA but since moving to deeper water they and pulltabs are a thing of the past :)

Tylenol had become my best friend and sleep came easily.

LOL... Digging is hard work for sure, I know how you feel :)

Impressive start...that's one great looking necklace..you guys have sold me on water hunting ; guess it's just common sense that when someone loses a ring on land, maybe it makes it underground before it's seen, maybe not; but lose a ring in the ocean, and that bad boys gone from the split second it leaves the finger.. gotta have one of those Pro's...do you use a wet suit when the weather turns cool ?..what's the best tool for digging ? Roadrunner_426

Great post and congrats on the gold and finding that ring for the little girl.

Try putting some magnets in the back of your scoop, they will catch those bobbypins etc and save you time trying to catch that elusive signal.

I have already ordered some Rare earth magnets to epoxy to the bottom of my scoop. 

Went to the lake near where I live and found my first group of rings.  First one on the left looks to be hand done and silver although not stamped the second is a cheap toe ring and the third with the star is stamped 925.  The last is 10k gold.

I went to the Atlantic today and the surf was tough.  High tide was later than I could stay but I found a ton of change in the surf.   Weirdest part was I found coins from three different countries. 
Next Sunday I am off to the Bahamas
Lakefrontprt2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom