What have you lost??

Sasquatch39

I'm just curious to see, how many people have lost items they have dug. I lost a fatty 1863 indian head penny I found a few days ago. It makes me sick. I even had it in a protective coin holder. Anyway, chime in and lets here what you've lost.

I lost a 1oz solid .999 silver coin in capsule.

Ended up finding it...well, prob won't believe me, but on the roof of my conservatory!!

I mean...how the? What the?

Matt.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

Not something I lost after finding with a detector but thought I'd share.

I was probably 14 or 15 years old at the time. 70 now so it was a while back...

After working up a field with tractor and disk I discovered my wallet was missing from my hip pocket. Losing my wallet wasn't a big deal except for the silver dollar I had in it. The dollar had been a gift from my grandparents.

No idea what part of the 80 acre field it may be in so not even gonna try to find it.

My mind, according to my wife anyway. I hope one day to find it again but digging gold and silver will suffice until then.:yes:

One day last year my white's arm cuff became loose while detecting by a local church. The black thumb nut was missing, so I searched all over the area for it...for a couple days. I replaced it with a standard hex nut and accepted it was gone for good. I was going over that area a few months later, (lost nut totally forgotten) and I investigated a junk type signal. There it was, down deep in the grass, starting to get grown over...my long lost thumbwheel nut! Little thing, with low value, but it sure made my day.

Attachments

• thumbnut.jpg
    thumbnut.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 221
I am runner up for moron of the year with my loss. I lost a Civil War general service eagle button......

.....down the drain.

Yea, I was cleaning some buttons and it slipped from my hand. Gone down the drain, thru the p-trap and right on thru the wall. Being hollow it was light enough to pass thru with the water.

Fortunately, it wasn't a very good condition button.
I still feel sick when I think about it.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I lost a beautiful pair of German-inscribed gold framed bifocals that I’d dug from an old farm dump about 1978 when I was 15. Perfect condition. Missing years ago but I’ll not forget.

I had a really good hunt a few years back where I found my first Barber quarter and also a 50th reunion confederate medal along with some Wheats and Indians. One Wheat Cent that I originally thought was a 1911 was in really bad shape and for what ever reason I threw it out with the trash. When I was looking at the pictures a few days later I realized it was a 1914 D.:shock:

Enjoy My Pain!:laughing:

Attachments

• DSC01664 - Copy.jpg
    DSC01664 - Copy.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 211
  • DSC01664.JPG
    DSC01664.JPG
    138.2 KB · Views: 210
I sadly left behind my treasure finds at the hotel in Ormond Beach, Florida this past spring. While out on the beach I had found several coins from other countries, a small silver pendant and other odds and shods.. It was sitting on top of the TV so that I would not forget it.. well pooh, said Bother. Next time, everything stays in my 'possibles' bag until I get home.. Sigh!

Nice day today, low tide at the right time with full moon kicking, heading out to the local beach in 32'F weather.. at least it's sunny though.. brrr.. Hopefully find something of interest ;)

Cheers

While detecting a local beach I found a heavy yellow ring. I did not have a loupe with me but I could see that it had something inscribed on it. Showed it to a friend and then stuck it on my finger. Got to the car and No Ring. Went back next morning and searched for 4 hours. No Ring. Two days later I parked close to the area where I had parked the day I lost the ring. Took my detector out of the car. Turned it on to check it even though I had checked it before I left home and swung the coil and had a target. Yep nestled down in the leaves was that yellow ring. Unfortunately it turned out to be one of those Lord of the Rings pieces of Junk. Another loss was a mercury dime. But a buddy of mine found it a few days later.

I recently asked a farmer about metal detecting any spots on his field. He said he had his own detector which he bought when he lost to parts off his tractor (some linkage parts either in the hitch or on the implement.) Turns out those parts each cost more than the price of a cheap metal detector. Bought a unit. Found both within an hour. Saved himself a lot of money!

I had a really good hunt a few years back where I found my first Barber quarter and also a 50th reunion confederate medal along with some Wheats and Indians. One Wheat Cent that I originally thought was a 1911 was in really bad shape and for what ever reason I threw it out with the trash. When I was looking at the pictures a few days later I realized it was a 1914 D.:shock:

Enjoy My Pain!:laughing:
Are you sure that's not a 1911-D ?

Not me but last year my dad was cutting his hay field when a pin came loose and disappeared. It was the last cut of the season and almost done so they just called it quits. A couple weeks ago we hit the field, I found 14 modernish bullets and he found the pin. That pin was over 100$ just to hold the cutter on the tractor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I lost a sterling lieutenant‘s bar collar pin. Had it on my desk at work and it must have been swept off into the trash can, as I never did find it. Still kinda bummed about that!

I lost a pair of sunglasses in an area not more than a few acres, I have been through there several times since and have not found them. Just shows we never get it all. You'd think something as big as sunglasses would be easy!

I lost my hair, beautiful legs, my 20/20 vision, my good judgment, and my lovely disposition. But now I have a new hat, My poor vision makes my legs look better, My judgment never was that great so that don't matter, and the deposition part is according to my wife so it must be true. Oh ya, there was that gold chain I lost when I missed my pocket after digging it. No I didn't find it again. But I don't want to talk about that.:no:

Back
Top Bottom