• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Tek-Point pinpointer...not too pleased.

pryan67

Forum Supporter
So I bought a tek-point pinpointer to complement my Carrot...

I used it in a park near me and wasn't too happy. It seemed to false a lot (brand new batteries). I replaced the batteries again, just to make sure and it still seemed to false far more than I would expect. Even holding it in the air it would go off at times.

I'll send it back for a replacement, but has anyone else noticed this? Is a PI detector more prone to falsing when dirt hunting?

I recently purchased the new Tek-Point pp and have had no problems with it.Works like it should.Off and On many,many times during a hunt with no falsing at all.Yup,I would send it back with a note as to what it is doing.

So I bought a tek-point pinpointer to complement my Carrot...

I used it in a park near me and wasn't too happy. It seemed to false a lot (brand new batteries). I replaced the batteries again, just to make sure and it still seemed to false far more than I would expect. Even holding it in the air it would go off at times.

I'll send it back for a replacement, but has anyone else noticed this? Is a PI detector more prone to falsing when dirt hunting?

The battery compartment is flimsy IMO. I have had to re design the snugness with my Fpulse with copper tape, and finally got mine stable. It has been a work in progress for about a solid year.

That tiny spring in the battery cap, is weak. Totally a bad design.

Some of the first ones had a PC board issue. I have two and my first one was upgraded for free by FTP. I had to pay one-way postage. They are more sensitive than most pinpointers but are very adjustable, waterproof and deep. My bad one would constantly false or just go off walking through my house with the nearest metal 4 ft away........Both work fine now. I occasionally have to retune in high mineralization. otherwise, no problems.

Jeff

I got a new one a few months ago and I’ve used it about 10 times with no issues. I’m pretty new to the game though so my experience level is pretty low.

I rarely use mine in the highest sensitivity setting because they are so sensitive. My TP will false read occasionally and what I've found to get it back on track is to place the point against the ground then a quick push and release of the power button basically "ground grabs" it. Your results may vary, but it works for me. The TP is a fine machine that mates up perfectly with the Patriot, both are a little on the wild side but crazy good at finding stuff.

I rarely use mine in the highest sensitivity setting because they are so sensitive. My TP will false read occasionally and what I've found to get it back on track is to place the point against the ground then a quick push and release of the power button basically "ground grabs" it. Your results may vary, but it works for me. The TP is a fine machine that mates up perfectly with the Patriot, both are a little on the wild side but crazy good at finding stuff.

hmmm, I'll have to try this when I get back from Omaha. Thanks for the tip

I had the same problem with the week spring I called customer service at Fischer in the mail me one for free here’s their phone number

915 633 8354

Pin-pointer Question

Anyone tried this pin-pointer (See Specs. below and attachment.) ?

Amazon's Choice Pinpointer

Manufacturer: RM RICOMAX
ASIN: B0776QNBPR
Item model number: GC-2007
Price: $43.99 & FREE Shipping.
☀【YOUR INVESTMENT IS FULLY GUARANTEED】 LIFETIME WARRANTY.

Did you like ?

Is the circuitry VLF or PI ?

ToddB64

Attachments

• Amazon's Choice Pinpointer, 61VB450RkJL._SL1000_.jpg
    Amazon's Choice Pinpointer, 61VB450RkJL._SL1000_.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 907
Last edited:
Thanks...I'll give them a call...that may be my problem.

I contacted them about the weak spring issue after reading your comment about them sending it easily and free. My answer from the West Texas rep was to send my whole F-Pointer back, AGAIN! I wanted to curse here about Fisher's business tactics with me...I don't want to be banned so I will resist.

It has been a really messy experience with me and West Texas/Fisher, ever since buying the F-Pulse.

I've self-engineered fixes on mine, and I will just "live with it" as-is. I ain't spending my own money to send mine BACK AGAIN, under warranty, for that spring.

Crappy CS from Fisher!

Did you like ?

ToddB64

At least it's protable!

Did you like ?

ToddB64

Good reviews...FakeSpot gives it an A rating....

might not be bad to try. I have "spare" amazon gift cards...maybe I'll give it a shot as another backup.

Hey Guys.....I appreciate your replies, but I'm not trying to recommend this PP; I need answers to the blue colored questions in my first post, so please focus on that if you don't mind.

I'm actually looking for a PP for my brother, a PP that handles basic needs, reliable, doesn't need to have all the features of a Garrett Carrot and cost around $50.00 including belt holster.

Thanks !
ToddB64

CHANGES ADDED to POST #17 on 5-23 in Thread "Tek-Point pinpointer...not too pleased." > Page #2, ToddB64

Hi again ! :tiphat:

See My New thread starter post #1, dated 5-29-2019, titled "Review of RICOMAX model GC-2007 Pin Pointer just Received" at > Detectors and Gear > Metal Detector Accessories > Tek-Point pinpointer...not too pleased, Page 2

Question #6 added to this post 5-27-2019 11:11 PM EDST

Answers added to questions #4 & #5 on 5-24 2019 10:15 PM EDST

Answers added to questions #1,#2, #3 on 5-22-2019 17:05:37.

Re above title, this is just to let you know I sent the following questions to the Amazon seller regarding the Pin pointer in my previous Post #12. I will add replies to this post as available.

ToddB64
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Dear Amazon Seller RM RICOMAX,
Re: Pin Pointer Model GC-2007,
ASIN BO776QNBPR, Price $$43.99 & FREE Shipping

Question #1..Concerning the 10 second auto-shutdown, do I just keep turning this Pin Pointer back ON if more time is needed to locate target ? Answer..Yes.

Question #2.. Does this Pin Pointer send signals from the Probe tip-end, or is it strictly a side scanner?? (Your Amazon ad says "The pinpointer can detect various types of metal object around its probe about 3.5 inches away and also says 360 Degree Area of Detection.", and shows pictures of signals around the probe barrel, but not coming from the probe tip. ). Answer ..The Pin Pointer 360° send signals from the Probe tip-end.

Question #3..Will this Pin Pointer work with an Energizer Max PowerSeal Pile Alcaline 9 Volt Battery ? Answer ...It works.

Question #4..Does your subject Pin Pointer have VLF (Very Low Frequency), or PI (Pulse Induction) circuitry ?
These are the most frequently encountered circuit types sold in the U.S.A. and they do function differently.

Answer...PI (Pulse Induction) circuitry.

Question #5..What is the operating frequency ? Answer... 3.09Khz

Question #6..(Sent to RICOMAX 5-26-2019)…"Does the RICOMAX Pin Pointer GC-2007 use a "Drop-in" 9V battery, or a "Pigtail" battery connector ?"

Below is a hyperlinked video for the RICOMAX Pin Pointer showing removal of the battery, but it moves too fast for me to tell for sure if there is a "Pigtail" connector or not, so that's why I sent them the question, but I'm guessing it's a Pigtail.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07N19F99Z?ref=dp_vse_lbvc_NaN

Answer...My guess was right !...It's a Pigtail battery connector. However, now that I've received the RICOMAX
CG-2007 Pin Pointer I ordered, I'm glad to report that the battery connector shield containing the +/- contacts is made of thicker and stronger hard plastic than the flimsy lightweight plastic material I've seen on other pigtail connectors that can tear and pull loose from the contacts when disconnecting the pigtail from a 9V battery unless done very very carefully.

Thanks and I hope this post and my Review mentioned at the top has been helpful to anyone looking for a new Pin Pointer.

ToddB64

Last edited:
I have always had good luck in dealing with first Texas. My only problem was they sent my item back by Fed EX and the woman didn't even check to see if I was home. She just left an attempt to delivery notice in my mail box and I had to miss work the next day to get it.

Hey Folks !

Just a message to let you know I purchased the Pin Pointer GC-2007 pictured in my post #12, and answers to my questions to the Amazon Seller listed in post #17.

The only thing I forgot to ask is whether this PP uses a "drop-in" or Pigtail battery connector; we will see after it arrives. I'm hoping for a "drop-in" of course, as it's difficult to disconnect those Pigtail connectors. I have to use a penknife blade to gently pry, to keep from pulling and ripping the soft black plastic connector shield. It's always best to remove the battery when storing a device in case it leaks and causes corrosion.

This is a gift for my brother and delivery to my residence is promised May 28, 2019, so I'll post another report after receiving, giving my overall opinion of the build quality and operation of the product.

If my brother visits me, as he usually does, for my 78th Birthday the end of next week, I'll be able to give it to him then, otherwise prolly mail to him later.

ToddB64

Review of RICOMAX model GC-2007 Pin Pointer just Received.

Hi ! :tiphat:

Received the RICOMAX model GC-2007 Pin Pointer today 5-28-2019, exactly as promised! I had ordered this item just two days before at Amazon.com on 5-26-2019 with Free S&H and a 30 day free trial of Prime), which I took but elected not to continue after the 30 days, and so I received the advantage of a lower price on the item with Prime and free two day S&H.....that was a good deal !

#1..The Pin Pointer came well packaged in a heavy duty bubble bag containing the PP in a separate cardboard box. Although printing on the box said a 9v battery was required but "Not Included", there was a battery inside the box, along with easy to understand Operating Instructions. I tested the battery using my Pulse Load Tester to be sure it was still "cooking" and it read 100%.

In addition, there was a notification slip in the box saying that I was randomly selected to receive a free gift of a digging trowel and belt-mount carry pouch in exchange for my product review sent to the e-mail address stated on the slip and I'll definitely do that ! :yes:

#2..I was very pleased with the design, build and quality of materials used for the GC-2007 Pin Pointer, at under $50.00 and with a Lifetime Warranty!

#3..After snapping the pigtail connector onto the battery, inserting it into the handle and screwing the end cap on, I air tested the unit on some sample targets, i.e. rusty nail, stay tab, all-copper Lincoln penny, clad Rosy Dime and clad Washington Quarter. Results were very satisfactory on all targets tested.

#4..Last but not least, prior to my purchase I had sent quite a few questions to the Amazon Seller RM RICOMAX to clarify the specifications listed in my post #17, on page 2 of Pryan67's starter thread titled "Tek-Point pinpointer...not too pleased" on page #1, and all of the RICOMAX Agents I dealt with answered promptly via e-mails and were very pleasant and cooperative during concomitant phone conversations.

Thanks and I hope this Review and my post #17 on page 2 of Pryan67's thread have been helpful to someone looking for a good Pin Pointer at a very reasonable price.

Toddb64

Back
Top Bottom