Getting snarky with the inquiries.

I usually don't mind a little small talk if someone seems genuinely interested. It is really predicated on my mood honestly. Pretty easy to tell if someone is curious or just wants to bust your balls.

"Can I help you?" Always = "What do you think you're doing?"

Most of the time if someone approaches me on a curbstrip and I can tell they are less than amused with me being there, I will just move on.

I will admit to exchanging snarky remarks. It does no good, but I've I've been guilty of it.

I was recently detecting a park that I have searched numerous times. I guy was watching me from his car and got out and approached me with... "What are you doing?" It was in an unfriendly tone. I responded with... "Just minding my own business. How about you?"

I'm totally using this next time!:lol:

Isn't that a felony?! Like, impersonating LEO or something along those lines? I'd proceed with caution.:lol:

No, working for the police department is not being a police officer. Dispatchers for example are civilians and not L.E.O.'s I'm pretty sure the janitors in the building are not L.E.O.'s though they "work for the police."

So if you say you "work for" the police and they assume you are a L.E.O. that's on them.

I used to be a constable, most of the work was serving warrants. If people assumed I was a cop, that's their choice. You're not responsible for someone else's thoughts.

Ken in Philippines

You got that right about Asia. I live in the Philippines during the winter.
I got tired a long time ago with them falling me. Trying to dig my holes, grab what I find and even sticking their hands in my pockets to grab what they can. I think this year when we go back to the states, I am taking my detector back home.. KEN. :p

Are you bringing all your detectors home with you or keeping at least one there ?, I was considering leaving one of my detectors over there next trip. Not going to get to go over there this year, so looking like 2020 for our next trip. The local public beach by the house is so trashy not worth detecting, we have some property next to our house over in the Philippines I might try to detect next trip that belongs to my brother in law with no houses on it. We usally try to go some where on our visits that has a clean tourist beach or a resort beach during our visits . My wife usally tries to take me a few places I have never seen before and in most cases that she has never seen either. My mother in law is getting very elderly now but we like to take her new places as well as long as she is up to it.

Momma always told me, "Dont talk to Strangers!...Living or dead or especially LEO!"..She Said, "Its best to keep your mouth shut and let them think you are a Dummy than to give them any proof to the contrary"....She also said, "Just because a Stranger asks you a question, dont mean you have to give them an honest answer!!" I will admit, its a Survival tactic that has mostly served me well...

Humans are extremely Dangerous! Their Primary weapon is their mouth! Do NOT engage! Act like you are deaf or a foreigner or whatever it takes to evade and avoid! Then she said, "If you ever find yourself over your head with a strange Human, getting the best of you verbally, about to talk you into something, like on a Car Lot or a Timeshare, or Marriage, simply shut up and, "Run! Forrest! Run!"

I avoid talking to Humans!...I talk to myself mostly..but we aint Strangers, plus we aint out to hurt each other...I am married, so I type with some authority on the subject... :laughing:

Last edited:
I don't like all the questions either but I accept that its rude not to answer a few , I would rather they be curious than angry.

Sometimes the people asking questions can even help restore your faith in humanity , rarely.....but it happens. Once I was detecting an empty lot in town around the time school lets out and this young girl walking home stopped and asked what I was doing. I would rather she not talk to strangers but I decided to answer her. She would probably not understand anything too technical so I thought a second and then just said I was looking for money. Her response is something I could only take as compassion given her age and the look on her face. She reached in her pocket and pulled out some change and said " You can have my money." I laughed a little and said no thanks , and that it was very nice for her to offer , but I dont need money I do this for fun. I thought about that the rest of the day. On a kids level that was impressive maturity and selflessness. It never dawned on her that I was using a $300 machine so I probably wasn't starving , but it was a nice gesture and I appreciated it.

I don't like all the questions either but I accept that its rude not to answer a few , I would rather they be curious than angry.

Sometimes the people asking questions can even help restore your faith in humanity , rarely.....but it happens. Once I was detecting an empty lot in town around the time school lets out and this young girl walking home stopped and asked what I was doing. I would rather she not talk to strangers but I decided to answer her. She would probably not understand anything too technical so I thought a second and then just said I was looking for money. Her response is something I could only take as compassion given her age and the look on her face. She reached in her pocket and pulled out some change and said " You can have my money." I laughed a little and said no thanks , and that it was very nice for her to offer , but I dont need money I do this for fun. I thought about that the rest of the day. On a kids level that was impressive maturity and selflessness. It never dawned on her that I was using a $300 machine so I probably wasn't starving , but it was a nice gesture and I appreciated it.

Thanks for sharing that !!!! ….in this day and age it is good to hear a story like that, I would think that that is a young person who likely makes her parents very proud !

I always hunt at the beach and get asked at least 3 times every hunt, "what's the best thing you've ever found?", or, "do you ever find any gold?". (Of course I do!:laughing:)
I know people are genuinely just curious, but sometimes I see it as an invasion. I don't know why, or if I should really care, but I'm starting to get irritated. (This pirate just wants to loot in peace)
Last couple times I've actually responded with "my lawyer advised me not to say anything" and that got a few chuckles. But I really don't want to share. Sometimes people respond with "well, maybe I should get a detector". Kind of like it's a dare or threat to me and my booty.
Some people have general questions about the hobby and I try to help as much as I can, but I'm not there to be a teacher.
I try to be a good ambassador of the hobby but am at my wits end.
Today, one guy asked if I had found any gold and the followed me around (zombie). Luckily he had a dog and was told to get off the beach by a lifeguard. :lol:
This is one of the reasons I love hunting at night.
Any advice on how to handle the curious/nosy?

yup! tell 'em you would like to be alone! .remember,they may be asking these questions to aggravate you,and then they will 'drop a dime" on ya a** some people just don't have a life!

(h.h.!)
j.t.

I'm totally using this next time!:lol:

jeeez! hot damn in the car watching you? (w.t.f.)..another reason to"pack"
that can be some 'scary" sh*T..really! approaches you and asks in an unfriendly tone? what are you doing?..reason # 2 to "pack" i would be watching' HIM as he approached! are you kidding me?

(h.h.!)
j.t.

I guess I'm just lucky. Never had a bad interaction with someone asking about the hobby. But then, I always respond in as positive a way as possible. Could be that you get what you give. Or maybe it's where I live. People just seem to be more friendly here and less defensive. I feel sorry for folks who live somewhere where they feel like every encounter is an attack. That can't be fun.

I did enjoy the response when asked what you're doing, "Just minding my own business, how about you?". I'll have to try to remember that if I have what I think is going to be a bad encounter.

I have found they give you a wide berth if you say; "I work for the DOD and currently i'm searching for that unexploded Nerve Agent bomb, would you like to help me dig?"

I too was annoyed as most others who have posted here on this thread. But, after reading a thread here on this forum on "gaining permission" to hunt private property, I changed my mind. I realized I was missing out on future opportunities to hunt private property or suggestions for locations I hadn't thought of. So now, I greet everyone who shows interest as a opportunity, not an annoyance. By the action of the spectators approaching me on their own accord, they opened up the door for a friendly conversation on metal detecting. Which leads to the possibility of gaining permission to hunt their property. I always carry my "metal detecting" contact cards with me and hand them out. Not to mention being a good will ambassador for our sport. And yes, I've been pushed to my limit by a few super obnoxious spectators.

personally,i would NOT say that! it could be viewed as "provocative" "smart money" says
act like ya can't hear them with the headphones on,and they hopefully will walk away!
remember,depending on where you are,you have to be ready for anything.i always "pack"
so i lessen the chance of getting jumped. all of this is a testament to the world we live in today!..you can never be too cautious...i'm just sayin'

(h.h!)
j.t.

I'm of the mind set it's best, if possible, to turn a negative into a positive. I use the opportunity to my advantage and have reaped the rewards of gaining access to detecting locations I would not have had otherwise.

Back
Top Bottom