Getting Started

chrispl57

I am wanting to get started on metal detecting however I am having a hard time picking out a good detector. I am currently looking at the 2 below (My price range is $100-200) But however I am looking more on the cheaper side due to the fact i do not have a job anymore. BUT I don't want to waste money on a cheap one.

Im hoping to get a new hobbie out of this on top of coin collecting to fill up my new free time.

http://www.amazon.com/Bounty-Hunter-TK4-PL-Tracker-Detector/dp/B00005A3L1/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

http://www.amazon.com/Garrett-Ace-250-Metal-Detector/dp/B00095ODBI/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Also if you have any recommendation other than these 2 please let me know!

Well welcome to the forum from Arizona. Of the two I suspect more will recommend the Garret. You might want to contact a couple of the vendors here and see what kind of deal they will give you. There is BigBoys and New England Detectors for a start.

Hello to the forum, and welcom from Upstate NY..

Of the two choices I agree that the Garrett Ace 250 is the better unit of the two, but either would work to find some stuff..

Welcome from the south Jersey shore. Use the search function here, you'll find lots of info regarding those machines and many others. Personally I'd opt for the Garrett. But first I'd try and locate others with machines that I could try.

Your welcome. Sorry to hear about the job. I wish you the best of luck in finding another soon. Call my friend Andrew at New England Detectors. He is a forum sponsor and can help you in choosing a detector that will fit your budget and be there for you when you have any questions about it. Let him know that you are a member here at friendly while your at it (special deals for members). Call him at 1-888-734-1544. Good luck and have fun when you get your new detector.

Got a Ace 250 and its been very good to start with. I would highly recommend you to get a pin pointer also, like the Pro pointer, but you will find out yourself after a few diggs. :roll:;)

I'm very impressed with the Fisher F2, and have also enjoyed my Ace 250.

Watch some YouTube vids before you buy. You might not like the sounds. And buy from a rep here on the forums.

Welcome from the south Jersey shore. Use the search function here, you'll find lots of info regarding those machines and many others. Personally I'd opt for the Garrett. But first I'd try and locate others with machines that I could try.

Glad to see someone else from jersey I'm from essex county.

Your welcome. Sorry to hear about the job. I wish you the best of luck in finding another soon. Call my friend Andrew at New England Detectors. He is a forum sponsor and can help you in choosing a detector that will fit your budget and be there for you when you have any questions about it. Let him know that you are a member here at friendly while your at it (special deals for members). Call him at 1-888-734-1544. Good luck and have fun when you get your new detector.

Thanks for the info I'll give it a try as soon as I gather up the money

Got a Ace 250 and its been very good to start with. I would highly recommend you to get a pin pointer also, like the Pro pointer, but you will find out yourself after a few diggs. :roll:;)

I was reading about pin pointers however they are out of my budget atm but sure will be adding one once I can afford.

:welcome2: to the forum from the Great Lakes State of Michigan.

To make selection easy for you, call Andrew at New England Detectors (1-888-734-1544) and explain what you want to hunt and approximate amount you want to spend. He will just about work magic for you.

GL & HH

What do you guys think about the ace 150 I did a bit more research and it could save me $50 however some features are lost like the pinpoint feature.

I have read it has the same power ect, and i would probably sell it in a few years to upgrade to the 250 or even the 350.

For $200 don't overlook the F2.
Fine machine with a lot of perks and easy to operate.
Good luck with your search!

What do you guys think about the ace 150 I did a bit more research and it could save me $50 however some features are lost like the pinpoint feature.

I have read it has the same power ect, and i would probably sell it in a few years to upgrade to the 250 or even the 350.

I've used both the 150 and the 250. While I did find things with the 150, the 250 is a much better overall machine. The pinpoint function is a great help, which the 150 does not have. After I bought my 250 and got used to using it, I wished I had spent the extra 50 bucks in the beginning and got that machine first. My two cents and HH!

For $200 don't overlook the F2.
Fine machine with a lot of perks and easy to operate.
Good luck with your search!

I am actually liking the fisher f2 however the only thing that the garrett has that makes me not want it is the coin size feature.

There is so many detectors and its so hard to choose!

Also with the fisher i found one with a 4" coil and a pinpoint for 215 witch sounds like a good deal to me.

Back
Top Bottom