F2 initial impressions

kascinoh

Hello all:

I received my F2 yesterday and I am happy to report it seems like a nice unit, considering it was only $215, which included an FPoint pinpointer and a 4" sniper coil. I have read some bashes against this unit for it being cheap-looking or "flimsy" - again, to me, doesn't seem any flimsy-er than my Silver uMax - and I found the Silver was a rugged unit. Build quality seems fine to me - shafts fit nicely, nice balance, cam locks work well. No bare coil wires as I saw in other forum posts.

Since the weather is rain today in w.cental ohio, did a quick air test (I know - unreliable - but still interesting) to compare with my old Silver uMax.

From what I see, they are almost identical, with one difference - the F2 seems to have much better sensitivity to gold rings - tested with 10k and 14k fine women's and 14k mens large - F2 seems to get almost 2" to 3" inches more than the Silver on the rings. Does anyone know what freq the F2 runs at? Silver was 10kHz,if I recall. Wonder if this might be a reason?.

Now, if the weather would cooperate....

HH, Stephen

Welcome to the forum Stephen, the F2 is a nice machine but more sensitive than the Silver uMax :?::?::?: I have had 2 F2's a F4 and several uMax Tesoros and found that any of the Tesoros was more sensitive on low conductive items than the F2 or the F4. I am glad that your F2 seems to be working as good or better than your uMax did but remember air tests doesn't mean much, it all counts how it does in the ground ;). I think that some people (that has never had a F2 or F4) compares them to Bounty Hunters lower end models . Enjoy the F2 it is alot of fun to use and fairly accurate id'ing targets. Steve.

1st quik school hunt

To get better acquainted with my new F2, I went to my son's school - maybe I could find some of his lost lunch money ...:lol:

One hour netted 22 clad coins and a ton of other junk, mostly can slaw:
DSCF1840.jpg
[/IMG]

The destroyed 1986 zinc penny (top left) was at 5-1/2" and rang in at a repeatable 51. Depth bars showed 2 of the three - which is reasonably accurate. This was my deepest find for the morning...
f2_zinc_5.jpg
[/IMG]

Coins give a very sharp "pop", as opposed to targets like can slaw which are more of a "mellow" hit - I found pinpointing with the F2 to be a breeze - either by detuning, or simply raising the coil. The pinpoint also helped alot to ID the target good from bad - coins "pop" - tabs and slaw are drawn out and larger.

Overall, I'm impressed for the price, and simplicity.

HH, Stephen

I use an MXT and have for a long time. I won an F2 at a group hunt and have tried it out. It's a quality machine and with the small coil included I believe it's the best value in the 200.00 price range. Good luck and HH, it should serve you well. Oh, one more thing. My ten year old grandsond can swing the F2 for a long time before tiring out. My MXT takes him out quick.

Back
Top Bottom