Official statement about the new White's detector

Rudy

Admin
This is from Carl Moreland, engineering manager at White's

The last few days there have been rumors -- and even photographs and specs -- about a new White's detector named "Vision". I cannot confirm or deny these rumors, other than to say if they are true, it looks like an awesome detector!

Anyway, I invite you to the Texas Treasure Show next weekend -- March 21-22 -- where I will host a seminar on White's New Products. If this alleged new detector is real, then we will allegedly have an official public unveiling at that time.

Here are a few alleged facts about the new Vision:

- The first metal detector to simultaneously transmit, receive, and process 3 frequencies
- Uses 2.5kHz, 7.5kHz, and 22.5kHz
- Can be switched to any single frequency
- Color LCD screen
- Displays the response of each frequency simultaneously
- 'Sweep analysis' display
- Advanced automatic and manual ground tracking modes
- Programmable Live Control Bar for on-the-fly changes
- 3X Transmit Boost
- Full user-customization
- Integrated wireless headphones (NOT Bluetooth!)
- Transfer programs unit-to-unit wirelessly
- NiMH batteries with drop-in charger
- Still Made in the USA

After I get familiar with my GTI...

I'd love to try this new machine. It sounds very cool, but may be confusing to a new detectorist.
Marty

Here is more info from Carl @ White's

Here is additional info from Carl @ White's

Answers to various questions...

Loops: Vision uses DFX loops that are calibrated to a higher standard. Older loops will usually work... no guarantee, but I haven't seen one that wouldn't work. I have even used an Excellerator and an SEF coil on my unit. I haven't used a Sunray probe but I'd guess it works... someone send me one & I'll test it! However, non-optimized coils probably will overload when TX Boost is turned on, so you won't be able to use this feature. I think I've seen one non-opt coil that overloaded at very high preamp settings. Right now, White's has the 10"DD, 950, and 300 coils optimized for Vision. We will soon have all DFX coils brought up to Vision standards.

TX Boost: This feature boosts the TX voltage from 10V to 30V. The age-old claim that the FCC limits detector TX power IS A MYTH. What happens when you turn on TX Boost? Well, you get only a very slight increase in depth, with a major drain on batteries. This is the REAL reason that detector TX power is limited, and why the deepest detectors require a motorcycle battery. I rarely use TX Boost... but in one heavily hunted field, I found a very silent area, turned it on, and started getting faint deep signals. So it can be useful in certain situations.

Wireless HP: The headphones are NOT Bluetooth, which was determined to have too much sound delay. We went with a proprietary design. They sound identical to normal headphones, and with no hiss. $200 for headphones? Yes, they are perhaps the only headphones fully made in the USA. You can still use cheap Chinese plug-in headphones if you want, but after using WHP I certainly won't go back. Also, all White's future new designs will have WHP capability.

Program transfer: You can use Vision's built-in wireless (whether or not you bought the WHPs) to transfer programs from one unit to as many units as you can squeeze into a 30-foot radius. So you do not need an intermediary computer when you are out in the field and your fellow Vision user is skunking you in finds. What about sharing via computer? We are working on a wireless dongle & software package that will allow you to do that, too. No ETA yet on this item.

Frequencies: First, let me point out that our friends in Australia only claim to transmit 28 frequencies... they've never ever claimed to actually use that many (read the advertising!). That said, I can l legitimately claim that "Vision is a 39-frequency detector." Or, I can get even sillier, and say that "Vision is a 79-frequency detector." (I can be as silly as you want!) Or, we can all stay rooted in reality, and say that "Vision is the first detector to simultaneously receive, process, and use 3 frequencies." I prefer reality. Vision uses a multi-frequency digital TX waveform (like DFX) when in 3-frequency mode. But you can switch it to any single frequency and the TX waveform becomes optimized for putting more power into the desired frequency. This means that you can get a little more raw depth in single frequency mode. The Prospecting program runs at 22.5kHz only, and the Deep Silver program runs at 2.5kHz only. And you don't need a different coil for each frequency.

- Carl

Non-Bluetooth wireless will most likely mean their wireless headphones will not be sold outside US. Interesting choice. Unless they have chosen a totally different frequency range than the current US non-bluetooth wireless sets.

Voriax

Non-Bluetooth wireless will most likely mean their wireless headphones will not be sold outside US. Interesting choice. Unless they have chosen a totally different frequency range than the current US non-bluetooth wireless sets.

Voriax

Why do you say that Voriax? I think the non-Bluetooth part has more to do with the software protocol stack than with the RF frequency used. I heard Carl say that the reason they didn't use Bluetooth was because of the relatively large time delay it caused (from sweep to beep). The response from this headphones is reputed to be instantaneous.

Simply because current US-made wireless sets (non-BT) use different frequncy range than European units. A while ago I was considering getting an cheap wireless headphone set from US and found out that it's use here would have been illegal because it used such freq. range that is reserved to other use here in Europe. If you mail order such item its more than likely it'll be confiscated at customs. And if you get one here, using it and possibly causing interference to other systems might get you in big trouble.

Voriax

Simply because current US-made wireless sets (non-BT) use different frequncy range than European units. A while ago I was considering getting an cheap wireless headphone set from US and found out that it's use here would have been illegal because it used such freq. range that is reserved to other use here in Europe. If you mail order such item its more than likely it'll be confiscated at customs. And if you get one here, using it and possibly causing interference to other systems might get you in big trouble.

Voriax

I'll try to find out about the frequency for you. One thing I know is the right now they have the Vision undergoing the EMI testing for EU certification, before they start up production at their Inverness factory.

Well, no real problem. Happy with my MXT and no money for the Vision anyways...
It is possible that the US and European models use different frequency.

Voriax

I might have to get one of those.:wow: Seems like every time I get one of the high end detectors another company comes out with something better..LOL

Back
Top Bottom